Rihanna - What's My Name *End of a Decade* Could Music finally be returning?????
Nov 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #32 of 47

Quote:
Nicely stated Coltrane. I stopped listening to FM radio over 15 years ago,mainly because I like to be in total control of what music I listen to.

This is SO true. I am obviously not that 'old' to say I stopped listening to radio years ago since I am very young but I agree when you say "I like to be in total control of what music I listen to". Few years ago when I started being more critical aout what I listen to I had to say that radios are not for me.

However, I would never say 00s or 90s were crap like some people stated in the thread. I find music created in early 00s and 90s very enjoyable. I even like some mainstream music creatd in 00s. I would say it also depends on the type of the music I listen to. When I listen to classical (and orchestral soundtracks) I never really care about the date when it was originally created because it always sounds good to me. On te other hand when it comes to e.g. rap I listen to 90s and 80s with equal satisfaction but in the early 00s I can see the wrong direction in which this music started to develop and although I am young and far more tolerant than many head-fiers are I have to admit that last 3 years were horrible. I got used to the mainstream music being shallow and often performed by people lacking any talent but suddenly I found myself in the situation when mainstream music annoys me. I guess it's partially because I moved to UK where many people listen to their own 'artists'. Don't get me wrong I am sure there are people in UK with good musical taste (hence I know I sound too harsh now) and talented performers as well but when I heard what something what many british people (well - young british people; mainly students) call 'music' I got depressed. I always thought the point of listening to music was to enjoy it not to irritate yourself and others nar you.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #33 of 47

Quote:

I always wondered though if they brought back those 80's style of music would people today buy it?

They have already... at least, one part of the 80s... the glammy pop...

Try listening to Dragonette, Goldfrapp or Scissor Sisters.

However, I wonder if there ever will come a period of minimalism, like Alphaville or Ultravox, where you basically had the vocalist and three instruments and nothing else. Songs with actual pauses in them, silence even. Not bloody overproduced crap or just a carpet of electric guitars in the background.

I so, so, so very much disagree with the title of this topic though. I haven't heard any mainstream music in the last 20 years worth listening to.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #34 of 47
The OP needs to get out more. There's just as much "good" music today as there's ever been, imo there's even more. You just have to dig deeper to find it because the dross is marketed better. To cite Rihanna as a beacon in the darkness is preposterous!

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #35 of 47

Quote:
The OP needs to get out more. There's just as much "good" music today as there's ever been, imo there's even more. You just have to dig deeper to find it because the dross is marketed better. To cite Rihanna as a beacon in the darkness is preposterous!

+1 Rihanna is just another overplayed, heavily marketed pop star with very little actual talent.  There are plenty of good indie bands out there, it's just a shame that most of their albums are recorded horribly. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #36 of 47

Quote:

'get out more'? Is that some form of methaphore or you seriously belive that if OP gets out more often he will hear good music? Whenever I get out I find it to be exactly opposite and hard to believe what people can listen to. It's like I always think that there is no bigger crap people might 'enjoy' and they prove me there is! lol

Not to say that good music does not exists. It does but going out is not going to help in searching for it. I actually find it to be a pretty funny thing. Few years ago everything that was good or at least relaxing was something that music lovers would eventually know about. I mean that people talk about good music, you could hear it from ealier mentioned radio etc. But you would hear it sooner or later. Now we got to the point when you have to search for good music.

@gopack87 - I believe Rihanna is a talented person. No, seriously! It's just that if she was singing something 'normal' people would not be so interested about what she does. And she does not earn money just because she sings but especially because some teenage girls are fascinated by her as a person not an artist.:D

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #37 of 47

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with music of any decade if you have enough sense to look for artists beyond the billboard charts or similar rating systems. Ignorance is bliss i guess.

Agreed!  I tend to hate the 80's because of hair bands, but there was some good music too.  People tend to think the decade they grew up in was the best decade because they have memories associated with it.

At first I thought the OP was kidding.  Rihanna is just more over hyped garbage. All of her music sounds the same.  There is tons of good music out there, so many bands that would love for you to check them out and so many ways to get new and interesting music in your ears.  FM radio isn't the place to find it.

Justin Bieber (spelling) winning almost every award the other night is all you need to know about the state of mainstream music.

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:
Quote:

'get out more'? Is that some form of methaphore or you seriously belive that if OP gets out more often he will hear good music? Whenever I get out I find it to be exactly opposite and hard to believe what people can listen to. It's like I always think that there is no bigger crap people might 'enjoy' and they prove me there is! lol

Not to say that good music does not exists. It does but going out is not going to help in searching for it. I actually find it to be a pretty funny thing. Few years ago everything that was good or at least relaxing was something that music lovers would eventually know about. I mean that people talk about good music, you could hear it from ealier mentioned radio etc. But you would hear it sooner or later. Now we got to the point when you have to search for good music.

@gopack87 - I believe Rihanna is a talented person. No, seriously! It's just that if she was singing something 'normal' people would not be so interested about what she does. And she does not earn money just because she sings but especially because some teenage girls are fascinated by her as a person not an artist.:D

Actually yes, it was a metaphore. I just meant the OP needs to broaden his horizons, that's all. In this day & age and with the t'interweb 'n' all it doesn't have to be "out", as in outside. God knows I haven't been out in aeons. Having said that, this Friday we're off to the big smoke to see The National supported by Phosphorescent. Should be a good gig. To take your point (and mine) though, I'd never have heard of The National if it hadn't been for the web. I certainly wouldn't have heard them in the High Street.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #40 of 47
I completely agree and have stated many times that "What's My Name" is one of the best pop songs in a long time. I'm glad American teenagers have finally got it together. I'm equally pleased that Kesha's new single is a commercial failure!

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #41 of 47
"I'm glad American teenagers have finally got it together"

ummm emmm WHAT?! Sorry but I really don't think there was a single mainstream album this year that could even slightly suggest that "American teenagers have finally got it together". Especially not if it's coming from Rihanna... lol

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #42 of 47
Huh? Since when do teenagers determine musical taste? They, generally, have horrible taste in fashion, food, and, well, pretty much everything else.

The media loves to celebrate youth, but it seems so empty, shallow and meaningless. I wouldn't want to go back to that age.

And nothing against those of you still in your teen years. We all go through it. Life gets better. :)

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #43 of 47
Well... I am teenager and I think I can differentiate between crap and good things.:wink: But I see what you mean. Whenever I hear what people at my age listen to I feel like this:
DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #44 of 47

Quote:
Huh? Since when do teenagers determine musical taste? They, generally, have horrible taste in fashion, food, and, well, pretty much everything else.

The media loves to celebrate youth, but it seems so empty, shallow and meaningless. I wouldn't want to go back to that age.

And nothing against those of you still in your teen years. We all go through it. Life gets better.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bloody would. Especially if I could know what I know now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back