right amp for iPod + SE 535
Nov 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FaMoZa

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I know some other people around here might have already stressed this question, but I am looking for a amp for my 535s w/ custom sleeves. Source will be a 7G iPod...

After reading some reviews here I had my eye on the RSA range but do not really know by now which one to go for (if RSA even is the right choice): At first I was looking on the Tomahawk as it has huge battery capacity and tiny measurements but also was intrigued by the Shadow. Then a second thought was, that if I chose the Predator (which as an amp is similar to the Hornet form what I understand) I could use that as a portable DAC for my MacBook Pro as well. Finally i was also thinking about going for the Protector, as which this I could later upgrade to using a balanced cable (how much does that improve anyways?)

So gentleman, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on the issue...

thanks

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 13
I dont think the protector is a good investment with universials. I would probably go for a pico slim or a p51. If you need a dac then the pico dac/amp or the predator. I have not had a chance to use the shadow so I can not comment on that one. I do love my p51 though and did love my pico. The tomahawk is pretty much obsolete as Ray will tell you. He would suggest the p51 over the tomahawk.

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 13
I would agree a lot of what was said in that article. Still my choices would be if I needed a dac/amp I would go with the original pico and if I needed just an amp I would go with the p51. I do love rsa other amps but think the p51 is the best he has to offer. I would wait till I went custom to use a balanced amp if you really wanted to go that route.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm using the JustAudio uHa-120 with my se535s and they pair up nicely. It's a great little amp and has very low amount of hiss (the se535 is very sensitive and hiss is audible with most other amps)

You can check out the reviews of this amp over at www.headfonia.com

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Why are you linking to another headphone website when there are reviews here for it.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 13
I loved the Tomahawk with the SE530's.  I currently have and love the Pico Slim.  It is the best amp I have yet used with sensitive iem's.  I will point out that I tend to love what I have right now, whatever that may be.  I have had the Pico Slim a bit longer than any other portable amp I've had.  Another to consider is the Leckerton UHA-4.  It is a nice amp with sensitive iem's as well.  If I had to rate the 3, Pico slim, UHA-4, Tomahawk.  Pretty subjective, and from memory on the last two. Last bit of info - I listen at fairly low volume, and volume control is paramount to me so I can get a low enough listening level.  For this, I have not found anything better than the Pico Slim.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 13
I enjoyed my Pico and my tomahawk also, but I really love my p51.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 13
after some consideration I settled for the Shadow in the above mentioned setup and to answer your question bevano, the difference is distinctly audible, especially after burn-in

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 13
I have Shure SE535Ltd and without a doubt the RSA Tomahawk will show all the flaws in your iPod as a music source.

What I mean is I am sure that the Tomahawk far exceeds the sound quality that an iPod DAC can produce and have tested this for myself: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596755/fostex-hp-p1-vs-gen5-5-imod-rsa-sr-71b-balanced-output-now-with-fostex-hp-p1-review-page-2/15 (Scroll to the bottom for my comparisons).

I am almost certain that any of the RSA line will do a stellar job of amplification, but the iPod DAC itself is flawed. This is the sole reason why I sold my Tomahawk and moved to a Fostex HP-P1. The RSA sound suits me and I love it to bits so this Fostex foray may just be a temporary thing until Ray releases a portable balanced DAC of some sort, then I would be sold before he even announces it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back