Rich people make me angry!!
Mar 23, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But seriously, money may not buy happiness, but it sure as hell rents it.

I wonder if happiness is available at my local rent-to-own store? I've always heard the same expression put a slightly different way:

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it makes misery a lot more comfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jeez... lots of angry jealous people around here

Oh c'mon Gatto! You've been around here a while, and you're just now figuring this out?
icon10.gif
I, of course, am never angry or jealous. NEVER!. And I'll yell at anyone who says otherwise.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #62 of 90
The headphones he got on his check list: Ultrasone Edition 8, Denon AH-D7000, Grado PS1000, Grado GS1000, Sennheiser HD800. I've listened to them all albeit the ED8 (have heard the Ed9 though). I'll take the cheapo PX100 or the Yuin pk1 (with proper amping) over any of them any day :p I've realized in this hobby that I can get the same amount of enjoyment in my portable rig as in my high end rig as well.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #63 of 90
I can empathize. My good friend of 25 years has three houses, just bought a Maserati Granturismo to keep his Nissan GTR company along with his two Ducati motorcycles in the house with a five car garage, wears only limited edition Omega watches, and spends $150 on a freakin hair cut. If he wanted, he can purchase all the top tier cans mentioned here to compare with his Wilson speakers. We're the same age, have the same degree, but our paths different. Yes, he has all the "toys" and like a good friend he shares them, and when a human friend isn't a around, his pug puppy keeps him company. I only the other hand have a beautiful wife and two wonderful boys, under one roof, a minivan, and a sedan.

Do I envy him? Of course - but only at a materialistic level. Am I mad that he's richer than me, no. He had to loose his parents to get the trust fund, which he would gladly trade all his riches to have them back in his life. We've had discussions drinking his expensive wine, and he envies my family life, if not more.

Like the OP's friend, it sounds like he a true and genuine friend. It's human nature to be envious of people that have what we don't - materialistic or not. There's no reason to be mad at them, unless they show disrespect or superiority attitude. When they do, just let it slide because one of the universal rule comes with vengeance - "what comes around, goes around."

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #64 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, of course, am never angry or jealous. NEVER!. And I'll yell at anyone who says otherwise.

Hummm, isn't yelling likely caused by anger?
very_evil_smiley.gif

J/K

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #65 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

J/K

Or irony, perhaps...

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #66 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you end up wasting more time and, generally speaking, spending more money. But when you are poor, what can you do?

I disagree, getting the best of the best from the start does not allow for the growth necessary to truly appreciate what you have.

If you are just given luxury and the finest of things you lack the perspective (and appreciation) of someone who had to go through struggles and hardships to attain what he has.

Plus when you start off with the best gear, what do you have to dream about at night?

Me.... a Woo WA6 SE.. mmmmmmmmm.... zzzzzzz.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #68 of 90
I'm mad at rich people, too, but I'm absolutely certain it's just a passing thing…y'know, like, until I get rich.
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One generally has to pay the dues to reap the rewards

That is so very true.

Money is fine, and we all need at least some to pay the bills. However attitude and experience are the real Kings of life, for they hold you steady through tough times, allow you to enjoy most of your days, help you help others, and guide you towards peace and contentment.

Remember that each breath you take is a golden opportunity for another. If you have a body that works, a mind that thinks, and your children are healthy, then you have all that you need to make your future happy.

As a friend used to tell me in college; "Life is what you make it, so get out and shake it" !

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #71 of 90
Obviously some people here took this a little too seriously. This was just a little fun rant i decide to put down. Nothing like wow my friend is richer than me i'm going to let out all of my frustrations with life on head-fi. Hey he's one of my good friends, i let him know i envy him and he just laughs says some smart ass comment and we both move on. Like i had stated before on a previous post i was just envious of his gear, Glen Oaks was just a little detail of how loaded this individual was. No one is perfect, we've all committed the 7 sins more than once, yes i envy him, but i still love the guy to death. I know if i were to be in trouble financially, he'd help me out in a heartbeat. I hope this clears things up for the people that think i'm leading some self centered lifestyle. Open up guys! sheesh.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #72 of 90
Are you sure he is actually wealthy, or does he just have the illusion of wealth? I know people who earn $200k+ per year, and are broke as a joke - dozens of credit cards maxed out, a huge house with multiple new cars parked in the driveway, and they live from one paycheck to the next. In other words, they don't live below their means (and barely live within their means). And they have hardly any money saved or invested for retirement. They are just barely able to afford their monthly bills, loan payments, car payments, mortgages & minimum credit card payments. And all they really have to show for it is a bunch of stuff they don't actually own yet (the banks and credit card companies actually own most of that stuff until they pay off all of their debt). This is most certainly not the definition of being rich/wealthy, in my opinion.

At any rate, don't be envious. If this person is actually wealthy (earns large amounts of money, and saves/invests at least 15% to 20% of his annual income, and carries no debt except for maybe a modest mortgage payment), then he is a great friend to have. Learn from him how to become successful. You are who you hang with. Rich friends are a good thing to have - learn from them. Plus an added bonus is you can hang out with him and listen to some killer headphones (and maybe even borrow them).

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #73 of 90
I remember hearing in high school that a Glen Oaks kid gave the 100+ people that went to one of his parties brand new iPod Nanos. Just for showing up. These are the same kids that drive to Valley every day in their brand-new Hummers, BMWs, etc. That level of wealth is just absurd and children living in that kind of environment grow up not knowing how to do anything for themselves.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #74 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

J/K

Yes as well as a complete misunderstanding of events or quotes

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #75 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And all they really have to show for it is a bunch of stuff they don't actually own yet (the banks and credit card companies actually own most of that stuff until they pay off all of their debt). This is most certainly not the definition of being rich/wealthy, in my opinion.

I don't know where I heard or read this, but it always made perfect sense to me:

You are not rich as long as you work for your money. You are rich when your money works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back