Rich people make me angry!!
Mar 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Pepsi

500+ Head-Fier
My friend lives in a neighborhood called GlenOaks on the west side of Des Moines. In order to just enter it, you need to have the owner of the particular house you're going to give the security guard a heads up that you'll be coming, if not turn around and never look back. This place has it's country club, swimming pool, tennis court, it's basically you're own rich people neighborhood. Now, i really don't mind, but what really got to me was when we were hanging out at his place 2 weeks ago. I was just checking out Headroom when he saw what i was doing. Now i rarely ever talk about my hobby because quite frankly not a lot of people here in Iowa would spend 1000+ on headphones, let alone take it up as a hobby. Well he was interested, and i told him i was just making a list of the headphone's i want to listen to audition for CanJam, so before i could even finish telling him about CanJam. He gets up and tells me wow i never knew headphones can even get to this point.

And so what he does next just made my jaw drop. He walks into his bedroom and 10 minutes later he comes out with his laptop in hand and says hey do these look good enough... It was his checkout list which consisted of the Ultrasone Edition 8, Denon AH-D7000, Grado PS1000, Grado GS1000, Sennheiser HD800, and a few others which i can't recall. I'm just appalled and i must admit, a little envious. Hell i am fu#%&*@ ENVIOUS!!! Some people in this world just have too much damn money for their own good.
I apologize for the rant but what he just did in 15 minutes would take me 10 years.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

EDIT: At least i never told him about Dacs and Amps. Muahahaha.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 90
What has your friend done with his life that you haven't? One generally has to pay the dues to reap the rewards and if you do the same, you'll probably be in a similar situation.

By the way, your equipment list doesn't look all that shabby either. A lot of other people here do well with much less.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 90
He knew what he was doing. But don't be envious you enjoy your hobby and get more out of it than he ever will. And don't forget it was his checkout list which means he hasn't paid or ordered it yet. Keep enjoying your hobby and ignore the idiots.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What has your friend done with his life that you haven't? One generally has to pay the dues to reap the rewards and if you do the same, you'll probably be in a similar situation.

By the way, your equipment list doesn't look all that shabby either. A lot of other people here do well with much less.

Of course, i love my gear because it's my own hard work, time and money that i put into it. Only difference was it took me years to get to that point. Maybe it just made me mad that i had to do a lot of research and auditioning before i got to my point and all he did was just go on a website, picked the most expensive stuff and just bought it in a heartbeat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And don't forget it was his checkout list which means he hasn't paid or ordered it yet.

Good point, i'll wait and see if the headphones actually come in.
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 90
Rich people, as long as they earned their own money, don't generally bother me. Spoiled rich kids, on the other hand, irritate the *tihs* out of me.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 90
Don't make a big deal of them when he gets them and let him loose interest. Perhaps you'll get a deal on something you wouldn't have. Another suggestion is to show him a HE/HEV90 thread.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 90
Buy it from him for half price in a few months when he gets bored with it and is looking for his next toy.

I hate visiting friends who live in gated neighborhoods. I always ask for the code so I don't have to wait to get in.

By the way, every realtor, gardener, cleaning lady and pool guy in town has the code, too, so the perceived security is a myth, too.

Won't buy a house in a gated neighborhood - not my style.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 90
I'd suckup to this guy in the hopes he may find displeasure in one or more pair and bestow them on you as a gift. You know, like maybe the woody cup thingys on the DH-A7000 don't match his coffee table.
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlvca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy it from him for half price in a few months when he gets bored with it and is looking for his next toy.

Won't buy a house in a gated neighborhood - not my style.

Good call on the reselling, he probably will for cheap.

I agree, gated communities have always seemed a little trashy to me, I'd much rather live in a town with activities and business.

Pepsi, what did you say to him when he asked "are these good enough?" Also, maybe you're just going to receive a really kick-ass birthday present.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 90
Life ain't fair. Some kid in China thinks the same about you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlvca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, every realtor, gardener, cleaning lady and pool guy in town has the code, too, so the perceived security is a myth, too.

The point of security isn't to make XXX illegal action impossible. It's to increase the risk of taking XXX illegal action compared to an alternate choice. In effect, security redirects illegal activities elsewhere by making the focus of the security a much less attractive target than its neighbors.

By having a gated community with a keycode, you've shrunken the list of criminals with easy access from everyone within driving distance to everyone that knows the keycode within driving distance. This is a huge reduction in the number of potential attackers, and also does a great job of reducing nuisance opportunistic crime like car stereo theft. You've also kept random traffic from moving in and out of the neighborhood, which increases the risk of casing the neighborhood and increases the odds that someone will notice during the commission of a crime. Passing through gates also greatly slow any entrance and escape attempts.

Having a security guard verifying entrances greatly increases the risks of all the above to any potential criminals, especially since they generally don't look like the people who would live or work in such a neighborhood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, gated communities have always seemed a little trashy to me, I'd much rather live in a town with activities and business.

Priorities. For many people, the increase in safety outweighs the inconvenience of having to drive to wherever they're going.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 90
Remember, there are people that would be envious of what you have and how you live. What most of us here take for granted. Just enjoy what you have and worry more about people who have less than you and not more.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 90
there's always someone who is going to end up having more money than you. there is also some who will have less money than you. just try to enjoy what you have
smily_headphones1.gif
who knows..your friend may just not like it and give them to you :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back