RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions
Apr 30, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #721 of 1,127
Surprising, this is with the reference filter I suppose? How about using the bass filter?

Cheers....

Unfortunately not, I'm using the bass filter and I'm still finding the treble too hot.

What eartips are you using?  I found foamies (Comply and, better yet, Crystal) to really complement the T20.   We definitely hear things differently, as I enjoy the relaxed but detailed treble on these.  Another consideration might be your source.  Although the specified impedance is higher, the actual impedance is closer to 11 ohms, there could be some frequency response interactions if the output impedance of your source is higher than 2 ohms or so.

T10 is a very dark and bassy IEM with a massive treble suck-out, IMO there are better options at the price than the T10.

I'm using the supplied silicone tips as I simply do not get on to comply/foamies - I find they really irritate my ear. The source I'm using is an iPod touch 6th gen, which despite what people say about apple, is actually pretty good for the money as long as you don't want hi res audio (which IMO is pointless anyway, especially when listening on the move).

I don't think it's an issue with the output impedence not matching the T20s as this would typically result in bloaty uncontrolled bass, which it's not, it's actually very tight and very well controlled.

I think the likely issue is that some of the mixes I'm listening to are quite hot themselves, but nevertheless the treble is far better conveyed through either my HD25s or my DT1350 on ears.

I may just pick the T10s up anyway as I can get them for a good price, so it'll be no great loss if they go to far in the other direction.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #723 of 1,127
Unfortunately not, I'm using the bass filter and I'm still finding the treble too hot.
I'm using the supplied silicone tips as I simply do not get on to comply/foamies - I find they really irritate my ear. The source I'm using is an iPod touch 6th gen, which despite what people say about apple, is actually pretty good for the money as long as you don't want hi res audio (which IMO is pointless anyway, especially when listening on the move).

I don't think it's an issue with the output impedence not matching the T20s as this would typically result in bloaty uncontrolled bass, which it's not, it's actually very tight and very well controlled.

I think the likely issue is that some of the mixes I'm listening to are quite hot themselves, but nevertheless the treble is far better conveyed through either my HD25s or my DT1350 on ears.

I may just pick the T10s up anyway as I can get them for a good price, so it'll be no great loss if they go to far in the other direction.

I hope you don't end up being dissatisfied with both. They are polar opposites. RHA 750 is also an option at a better price and sonically in between the T10 and 20. FLC8s and Oriveti Primacy are excellent alternatives although priced a little higher.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #724 of 1,127
I hope you don't end up being dissatisfied with both. They are polar opposites. RHA 750 is also an option at a better price and sonically in between the T10 and 20. FLC8s and Oriveti Primacy are excellent alternatives although priced a little higher.

Had to go there, eh :wink:

May 1, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #725 of 1,127
Had to go there, eh :wink:

Just trying to be helpful, brother, lol. I really don't like the T10, especially at its price, and I don't think the OP will either based on his sound preferences. I think he wants a warm signature with a relaxed, but not absent, treble signature. The 750 may be still a little bright for him, but the other two should really fit the bill.

May 1, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #726 of 1,127
dlayman: If neither T10 nor T20 work, those would be good suggestions to try out. You probably know I'm an unabashed FLC8S fan, so I'd recommend them to everybody and anyone who'd listen. I agree they'd be a great IEM for Slaphead to try out if he can find a pair. If he was in the US, I'd send him a pair to play with for a week.

May 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #727 of 1,127
@dlayman: If neither T10 nor T20 work, those would be good suggestions to try out. You probably know I'm an unabashed FLC8S fan, so I'd recommend them to everybody and anyone who'd listen. I agree they'd be a great IEM for @Slaphead to try out if he can find a pair. If he was in the US, I'd send him a pair to play with for a week.

Thanks! I really like what I read about FLC8S. I feel they will be a clear upgrade from my W3. With T20 I would probably get similar quality to W3 (although a bit different sound signature). 

May 17, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #728 of 1,127
Just picked these up, wow they got one hell of a "screech" to em. I wouldn't say treble, hi hats and cymbals are actually quite beautiful, it's more like upper mids, like some vocals and deeper kicks are just scratching my ears out! When I look at the freq graph, the exact issue I would expect is the exact issue I'm experiencing. At low to medium volume it's not bad, but these are for the gym and I like to crank it, it's pretty brutal.

They've def calmed down since yesterday, it's kinda been love hate. Been burning in. I don't know what, the drivers, my eardrums, my brain, I don't know, but I'm def burning something.

Outside this one issue i am just in love with these, the bass is SO nice and warm, and no midbass hump which I always hate when headphones do that, the highs are beautiful, the build, oh the build is just SO nice and weighty, I got the black ones and they look sexy as hell.

I hope these keep calming down over the next week, cuz I really really love this earphone outside of that ungodly, horrific upper midrange, lol.

May 17, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #729 of 1,127
Thanks! I really like what I read about FLC8S. I feel they will be a clear upgrade from my W3. With T20 I would probably get similar quality to W3 (although a bit different sound signature). 

These are actually the two iems I own, W3 and t20. They sound VERY different. I am new to t20 so I prob need to spend more time with it, but my initial feeling is that they are similar quality. Going back and forth between them it really makes the midbass hump evident on the w3, which kinda makes the sound feel a little muddied up. But on the flip side, the w3 makes the scratchiness on the t20 really jump, which kinda gives it a relatively "staticky" sound.

Either way, VERY diff signatures

May 17, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #730 of 1,127
Just picked these up, wow they got one hell of a "screech" to em. I wouldn't say treble, hi hats and cymbals are actually quite beautiful, it's more like upper mids, like some vocals and deeper kicks are just scratching my ears out! When I look at the freq graph, the exact issue I would expect is the exact issue I'm experiencing. At low to medium volume it's not bad, but these are for the gym and I like to crank it, it's pretty brutal.

They've def calmed down since yesterday, it's kinda been love hate. Been burning in. I don't know what, the drivers, my eardrums, my brain, I don't know, but I'm def burning something.

Outside this one issue i am just in love with these, the bass is SO nice and warm, and no midbass hump which I always hate when headphones do that, the highs are beautiful, the build, oh the build is just SO nice and weighty, I got the black ones and they look sexy as hell.

I hope these keep calming down over the next week, cuz I really really love this earphone outside of that ungodly, horrific upper midrange, lol.

They do - they do. Give them a bit of time. They are very "off sounding" in the beginning. 

Cheers!

May 17, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #731 of 1,127
Report back once you get T10 Slaphead. I'm curious how you find them side by side.

I never did get around to getting hold of them - I've been busy all over the place for the last few weeks and not had any time for listening.

I'm still giving the T20s a chance as there are many things that they do really well, and now that I'm back to my regular work commute I'm looking forward to getting some more "ear-time" with these. If over the next week or so I'm still finding them difficult to live with then I'll be looking again.

May 27, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #732 of 1,127
Had to take them back, couldn't stand the shrillness. They did tame a bit, but founding myself trying to force myself to like them rather than just enjoying. It's sad because there are other things this headphone does so right, but that one characteristic just stuck out to me too much to ignore.

And maybe I'm tripping, but like I just started getting irritated by that freq range in real life too. People would just talk to me and all I could think is dude, what's up with ur upper mid vocals? lol, it was weird

Also gotta say these are not good for working out, I love how the heaviness feels in my hand, but unfortunately that also makes the move around a bit and remain very aware that I'm wearing earbuds.

I might try the ma750, I don't know. There is something in the sound signature I'm in love with, the deep weighty yet not bloated or intrusive bass, the liquidy characteristic of the mids/upper mids. Really cool sound sig, just wish the upper mid spikes were tamed a bit more.

May 27, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #733 of 1,127
Had to take them back, couldn't stand the shrillness. They did tame a bit, but founding myself trying to force myself to like them rather than just enjoying. It's sad because there are other things this headphone does so right, but that one characteristic just stuck out to me too much to ignore.

And maybe I'm tripping, but like I just started getting irritated by that freq range in real life too. People would just talk to me and all I could think is dude, what's up with ur upper mid vocals? lol, it was weird

Also gotta say these are not good for working out, I love how the heaviness feels in my hand, but unfortunately that also makes the move around a bit and remain very aware that I'm wearing earbuds.

I might try the ma750, I don't know. There is something in the sound signature I'm in love with, the deep weighty yet not bloated or intrusive bass, the liquidy characteristic of the mids/upper mids. Really cool sound sig, just wish the upper mid spikes were tamed a bit more.
trinity audio are about to launch a few models with adjustable filters that everyone on the thread is going mad over, very reasonable pricing too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back