RHA MA750i - 5 wires inside cable
Jan 9, 2015 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jimmyyong

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I cut apart the rubber housing on the cable of my RHA MA750i so that I could replace the plug but I can't figure out which wire is responsible for the right/left/mic etc. It seems different from the conventional 4 wire cable which most IEMs with mics carry. Anyone have info on which wire goes to which connection on a TRRS plug?

Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/b9icKBH.jpg

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 7
Did you keep the other end? Check it with a multimeter to see which color goes to tip, ring, etc. If you don't have a multimeter, here's one for $7.50 that does the job: http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=53&osCsid=c8d3379735053b277850a69bd9fcf7fd

(no affiliation to Beezar)

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Day 61 : Still waiting for him to stop sobbing about the decision.

Seriously though, ask for RHA support, they will definitely help you, they have an account in this forum too.

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 7
You are correct that this does not follow other "conventions" used by other headphone/earphone manufacturers.  Here is what I have deduced using a multimeter on my RHA MA750I cable:
Left - Red Stripe wire and Blue wire pair
Right - Blue Stripe wire and Green wire pair
The shield wire is really a coax with a bare copper shield surrounding an insulated inner core (Red wire). This inner wire must be the microphone wire and the shield is probably the other wire in that pair.

Since there is no way of knowing which of the wires in each pair are considered the "common", I have arbitrarily chosen the striped wire in the Left and Right pair as the common in an attempt to keep the phases correct between them. If you are trying to follow the CTIA convention for Apple and most late Android phones, the wiring would look like this on a TRRS jack:
T (tip) - Left ear - Blue solid color wire
R (ring nearest the tip) - Right Ear - Green solid color wire
R (next ring up) - Common/Shield - Blue stripe wire, Red stripe wire, Shield
Sleeve (furthest away from the tip) - Red coax core wire

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back