RHA ma750 / ATH-m40x / RE-400? (sound quality, no sound leak, isolation)

which one?

• Total voters
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dresdenjah

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

I need some advice on choosing the right headphones.
The big question is: ATH-m40x, RE-400, or RHA ma750? (buying used). Can a higher quality IEM like ma750 rank up to m40x?
Portability doesn't matter, but it should have no sound leak and a decent isolation.

Behinds the story: I've been using monoprice 8320 for ~3 years straight (yeah, that's some serious monoprice love right here) and now looking for a worthy upgrade. Mainly listen to metal/rock. Looking for sound quality: improved clarity, instrument separation, and detail over 8320, good bass for droning music like doom metal, but more or less balanced overall. Important not to have sound leak. Isolation and secure fit is a big plus. My budget is only around 40-70$, but i'm buying used.

As for now, i've been choosing between Creative Aurvana Live!, m40x, m50 (closed over-ears) and shure SE215, hifiman re-400, and RHA MA750 (IEMs). I'm torn.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 9
Take this for what it's worth, but I've heard much more about the M40x than any of the other gear you mentioned, and it was all good things.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 9
Take this for what it's worth, but I've heard much more about the M40x than any of the other gear you mentioned, and it was all good things.
True indeed. I'm trying to discount for the, for a lack of a better word, "hype" around it, since i've heard that iems within this price range tend to be a better bet, and not all good products get enough reviews. But i'm very much planning on getting them later on.
What makes me want to consider IEMs is sound leakage - i'll be using them in the library, and in a room with a sleeping roommate. Isolation on cans seems questionable, but i can't be sure.
Thanks for your input! Choosing first ~decent headphones is quite an affair.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 9
Cant vouch for the ATH but the RHA is a great sounding iem. Then again is source dependant. One thing to think about is RHA's incredible customer care. Maybe not too much of a concern if you are going the second hand route. Another iem maybe worth considering is the HIFIMAN RE-400. Absolutely stellar sq once one gets a good seal.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Cant vouch for the ATH but the RHA is a great sounding iem. Then again is source dependant. One thing to think about is RHA's incredible customer care. Maybe not too much of a concern if you are going the second hand route. Another iem maybe worth considering is the HIFIMAN RE-400. Absolutely stellar sq once one gets a good seal.
Thanks for the reply!
RE-400's more neutral sound is definitely a plus, but I wonder if anything is sacrificed with the huge price difference compared to ma750, besides the build quality. Some sources say 400 sound better, others state ma750 as the best within the price bracket.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi. as I type I have both the RHA's and the HIFIMAN's side by side. Build wise it has to go the 750's. The RE-400's just don't look as premium esp the strain reliefs and break points. The RHA'S will stand up more to daily on the go wear. But.. I always reach for the RE-400's. SQ wise they have so much more detail. Bass is their if one gets a proper seal but it is my personal favourite.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Hi. as I type I have both the RHA's and the HIFIMAN's side by side. Build wise it has to go the 750's. The RE-400's just don't look as premium esp the strain reliefs and break points. The RHA'S will stand up more to daily on the go wear. But.. I always reach for the RE-400's. SQ wise they have so much more detail. Bass is their if one gets a proper seal but it is my personal favourite.
yeah, a proper seal is vital, my cheapo 8323 improved unbelievably after modding the eartips.
Thanks a lot for the comparison, that's invaluable when you can't compare the headphones yourself. I might actually get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back