RHA MA-750i Review
Feb 26, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #271 of 382
I am very disappointed with these IEMs. The right channel stopped working within 1 month of use, so I went back to the seller and made use of their warranty. Got a replacement unit and what do you know, same issue within 2 weeks. It is definitely not a QC issue but a design flaw then. I am by no means one of those that break everything they touch, I'm pretty careful with my stuff. So a couple of things to say:

-Read some comments of V shaped sound or bass heavy even. In my view these were fairly flat, if anything, a tad on the bright side.

-If you're in the market for IEMs, I'd say keep looking. I appreciate the materials and somewhat original design, but they just don't seem to hold up.

And a question to ask:

Does anyone know how I can disassemble the jack without breaking it or marking it? Not sure if the metal enclosure is glued or screwed or just secured by pressure. I would like to open it and check the wiring, it is most definitely a wiring issue.

Guess what happend to me yesterday? After 2 months the right channel broke down. That's a record.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #272 of 382
Guess what happend to me yesterday? After 2 months the right channel broke down. That's a record.

Is your set also the "i" version?  If so, I really suspect the inline remote is to blame.  Extra solder joints, and seem to be a weak spot on many IEM's.  At least you have that nice long three year warranty from a solid company, they'll get yo taken care of.  I've used mine a lot ever since they were released and never a problem (non-remote version).

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #273 of 382
Is your set also the "i" version?  If so, I really suspect the inline remote is to blame.  Extra solder joints, and seem to be a weak spot on many IEM's.  At least you have that nice long three year warranty from a solid company, they'll get yo taken care of.  I've used mine a lot ever since they were released and never a problem (non-remote version).

Nope, bought the non-i version exactly for this reason, but it didnt matter

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #275 of 382
Update: So after a simple exchange with RHA they offered once again to replace the phones through their local distributor. I saw they guy open open new box in front of me. The distributor does not do repairs so we still don't know the cause. While being there I saw another guy taking his RHA phones for exchange, in his case the jack snapped out of the cable. I'll wait for RHA's response about the cause for the damage a update again.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #277 of 382
Alright, so I have the final update. Got this response from the distributor:

Because the headphone Jack was bend, so the inter wire was disconnected the jack pin. 

Please note the Jack housing is straight type, it will bend or broken if touch it as strong pressure.

My takeaways from this:

-These IEMs are not as heavy duty as you would believe from their stainless steel looks, they do require more care than others. Particularly in my user case, be sure the area close to the jack doesn't bend. Again, I don't think my use has been anything different from the past and this didn't happen with other IEMs I've owned, so that says something about these IEMs, not just about my use.

-The power of the internet! We as users need to be more careful both when praising a product or when sharing a complaint online. This has an impact on other's decisions and can affect a company's image. 

In the end, I'm happy with how RHA handled the issue, still not happy with the product. Looks, sound and features are good for the money, but they need too light a touch to be used daily. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #278 of 382
Guys, i brought a pair of MA 750 a few months ago,and thanks to Mark and other members in the community, i did made the right choise.
To me, this pair of earphone is really close to what i am looking into in terms of SQ.

Unfortunately i found them a bit heavy and bulky when i travel long distances.

Could you guys recommend me some similar sounding IEM?I have tried the Audiofly AF 140, and i loved the confort and the cable.The bass is not bad,a bit more accentuated then the RHA, but the treble is far too hidden...
The joker extensive guide is very helpful,but maybe some fellow on this thread can have some insight.

Thanks a lot guys,i appreciate
Antonio

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #279 of 382
  Alright, so I have the final update. Got this response from the distributor:

Because the headphone Jack was bend, so the inter wire was disconnected the jack pin. 

Please note the Jack housing is straight type, it will bend or broken if touch it as strong pressure.

My takeaways from this:

-These IEMs are not as heavy duty as you would believe from their stainless steel looks, they do require more care than others. Particularly in my user case, be sure the area close to the jack doesn't bend. Again, I don't think my use has been anything different from the past and this didn't happen with other IEMs I've owned, so that says something about these IEMs, not just about my use.

-The power of the internet! We as users need to be more careful both when praising a product or when sharing a complaint online. This has an impact on other's decisions and can affect a company's image. 

In the end, I'm happy with how RHA handled the issue, still not happy with the product. Looks, sound and features are good for the money, but they need too light a touch to be used daily. 

I'm having a little trouble understanding your terminology.  When you say the "headphone jack" was bent, are you referring to the strain relief spring or the actual jack itself (the gold plated part that plugs into the player?  I suspect you mean the spring.   Although the spring provides excellent strain relief, I could see where it would be possible to catch the end of the spring on something and force a bend which could cause damage.  I don't think its extremely likely though, and shouldn't happen in normal use except in the case of an accident which is always possible.  I guess it would also be possible if the headphone socket on your source was on the side, forcing a bend in the cable.   I would also be sure to keep them in their case when not being used, as with all IEM's. Congrats to RHA for taking care of you, some manufacturers would have claimed it was user error because the bend wouldn't happen on its own (one should never use or store an IEM in a way that forces a strong bend in the cable, no matter how good the relief - not saying that you did).  A possible solution to this to keep it from happening again would be to wrap the ends of the spring with a small piece of electrical tape or better yet some heat shrink tubing.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #280 of 382
Hi, had the same issue with my MA - 750i ie the spring began to unravel. Same problem has come up with a few members. Never abused them but maybe the fail materialised by disconnecting them from my player via the spring. I have to say that RHA were fantastic when I contacted them. Sent me a new pair once I returned the original all done with no fuss. From experience most phones have an Achilles heel.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #281 of 382
I'm having a little trouble understanding your terminology.  When you say the "headphone jack" was bent, are you referring to the strain relief spring or the actual jack itself (the gold plated part that plugs into the player?  I suspect you mean the spring.   Although the spring provides excellent strain relief, I could see where it would be possible to catch the end of the spring on something and force a bend which could cause damage.  I don't think its extremely likely though, and shouldn't happen in normal use except in the case of an accident which is always possible.  I guess it would also be possible if the headphone socket on your source was on the side, forcing a bend in the cable.   I would also be sure to keep them in their case when not being used, as with all IEM's. Congrats to RHA for taking care of you, some manufacturers would have claimed it was user error because the bend wouldn't happen on its own (one should never use or store an IEM in a way that forces a strong bend in the cable, no matter how good the relief - not saying that you did).  A possible solution to this to keep it from happening again would be to wrap the ends of the spring with a small piece of electrical tape or better yet some heat shrink tubing.

No,the text in bold was distributor's finding of the issue....And I cant believe either with such a tank like build quality (externally) wld fail like this.This is something that happened inside of the jack, the solder joints(weak?) but not just because of the nicely relieved strain relief(spring) nor the jack ends that goes into the female socket of source. As long as its taken care of by the mfr/dealer/distributor under the warranty period the customer is a happy camper and it also build more trust in the future purchase of the same brand.

And no further taping or tubing is necessary,imo,as its already spring relieved.but yeah, may be the heat shrink adds a look covering the spring!not a bad idea.(just like what bob (trinity audio) did to his models.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #282 of 382
No,the text in bold was distributor's finding of the issue....And I cant believe either with such a tank like build quality (externally) wld fail like this.This is something that happened inside of the jack, the solder joints(weak?) but not just because of the nicely relieved strain relief(spring) nor the jack ends that goes into the female socket of source. As long as its taken care of by the mfr/dealer/distributor under the warranty period the customer is a happy camper and it also build more trust in the future purchase of the same brand.

And no further taping or tubing is necessary,imo,as its already spring relieved.but yeah, may be the heat shrink adds a look covering the spring!not a bad idea.(just like what bob (trinity audio) did to his models.

Well I guess a bad soulder connection can happen to anyone. Nice to have the three year warranty. I've been doing a little research on third party cables for another IEM and have been very surprised by the high failure rates people have mentioned. I've never had a cable problem with a IEM, only the well known connection issue with the Senn 580.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #283 of 382
Yesterday I noticed that I've lost one of my favorite double flange eartips on the subway. Later while contacting the customer service,i saw that one of the earbud filter grills fell in my hand. But the customer service of RHA didn't disappoint,here's her reply

Thanks for your email. While the Ear Bud Filter Grills being removed won't make an impact on sound quality, I can arrange to send you some replacement Grills for you to attach. The Ear Bud Filter Grills are attached to a small piece of yellow card, and can be easily removed with a pair of tweezers. They can then be gently pressed down on to the tip of the sound pipe. The lining of glue will help fasten the grill firmly to the sound pipe, ensuring the Grills will not come loose due to heavy usage.

Would you like the complimentary Ear Bud Filter Grills and a pair Large Double Flange Ear Tips sent to the address below?

I use this earphone 2-3 hrs everyday and if it dies on me definitely thinking of buying a new one.maybe a T20i
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #285 of 382
Yesterday I noticed that I've lost one of my favorite double flange eartips on the subway. Later while contacting the customer service,i saw that one of the earbud filter grills fell in my hand. But the customer service of RHA didn't disappoint,here's her reply

Thanks for your email. While the Ear Bud Filter Grills being removed won't make an impact on sound quality, I can arrange to send you some replacement Grills for you to attach. The Ear Bud Filter Grills are attached to a small piece of yellow card, and can be easily removed with a pair of tweezers. They can then be gently pressed down on to the tip of the sound pipe. The lining of glue will help fasten the grill firmly to the sound pipe, ensuring the Grills will not come loose due to heavy usage.

Would you like the complimentary Ear Bud Filter Grills and a pair Large Double Flange Ear Tips sent to the address below?

I use this earphone 2-3 hrs everyday and if it dies on me definitely thinking of buying a new one.maybe a T20i:bigsmile_face:

One of the filters became unglued on my first pair of 750's and it most definitely changes the sound quality. Absolutely killed the bass. That was actually how I discovered it happened. The sound changed so drastically I took the tips off to examine them and found that one was torn. I was still within my return period and just did an exchange. Definitely replace the filter, it makes a huge difference. Nice to know there is a simple fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back