RHA Dacamp L1, CL1 Ceramic & CL750 Review Tour
Dec 6, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #121 of 196
  Can't wait to watch your reviews haha. It will certainly be interesting (at the least)!

t will be. A review of the item and the things that surround it.
Ever see a website with the item specs? Me too and most public folks too who make up the bulk of review viewers after 30 days ( I can track that via Google data) and returns to older reviews done by others shows the decrease of direct interaction (comments) but a increase bit by bit of view count. Lots of folks who are not members consume this stuff.
  Want specs? Click the official link for 100% typo free stuff. Want rambling opinions with gems and gold nuggets mixed in with the ramble? Enjoy my vid. It will be directed at the massive bass threads and they will get my message. And some of them and many non members (cuz no way a million views came from just here) are gonna hear me cuz they know me and they will buy. Lucky they mostly don't live in Japan because it is pretty expensive over here. ore than a Mojo by $150

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #122 of 196
Hey man!

Don't be too mad at us - we work with a distribution partner in Japan, so we have to work the discount through them and there's a little delay in finalising the logistics and confirming the amount of discount and how we'll implementing it - keep an eye on your PMs, we'll give you a shout as soon as we can.

Also double-checking the tone control bands - should have an answer on that very shortly.

Also waiting for an answer on the frequencies adjusted by the knobs. I asked (probably a different) RHA rep on Reddit 2 weeks ago with no response yet...

Thanks

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #123 of 196
  I did sweeps but does anyone know the boost freq for bass and treble knobs? Sounds like 55-70Hz and 4-6kHz to me but I'd like to be sure for my review.

Chris - they just arrived here.  I'll try and run some tests over the weekend and get some charts done.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #125 of 196
The trio have left me and are with @FortisFlyer75  who is sat down with them as we speak. I have 1 review left to do - the CL750. I left it to last because the DL1 and CL1 seemed to go together as a pair. But these are nice IEMs in their own right. I look forward to talking more about them soon. One thing though, please; can you change that driver shape for the future? You can see straight away that it's an RHA granted. But we are putting a metal driver shell into our ears and they don't take up much space and take a bit of moving around to get them right. This is what we need
As opposed to 
this

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #127 of 196

I've got these three beauties in at the moment. Spent a good chunk of today listening to the CL750 and Dacamp L1 while admiring the build quality of the CL1. I'll be listening to those tomorrow.

So far the CL750 is showing itself to be a killer earphone, though not for those that like a bright signature. They really remind me of my current favorite earphone, Echobox's Finder X1. Gobs of detail, clear midrange, nice imaging, tight, punchy bass. I was really enjoying them with BT's 'This Binary Universe' album. They did an amazing job covering that spacey and ethereal album.

The L1 is, as you would expect from RHA, build like a tank. Ergonomics seem quite nice. There was one item I had qualms with right away; the volume knob feels slick but spins too freely. It's easy to make unwanted volume changes, though I'll probably get used to that in time. This thing has gobs of power and easily ran everything I threw at it; CL750, Finder X1, various KZs, Havi B3, etc. and they all sounded really nice. Sound output is very smooth and clean. I don't really have anything to compare it to besides my Topping NX1, so I kind of expected to be impressed. I will admit that I'm not a fan of the way things sound when you dial in more bass. Seems to focus too much on mid-bass making the presentation some what boomy and bloated. I'll be playing around with that more to see if my thoughts on that change.

So far I'm loving the CL750 and like the L1. Can't wait to put the CL1 through it's paces.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #128 of 196
  You the man.
I was expecting you would be the one to sort this out.
Thanks very much!

Sorry - should have had this to you last week.

Starting with the L1 DAC/amp

Frequency response for the DAC section only - and the gain settings:

The roll-off is the normal you see with a lot of higher end DACs with filters.  X7 is similar.

Next is the amp section only - and you can see the flat line response is very linear (central line):

These are all the bass settings - from negative to positive.  Interesting with the bass is that the boost is higher than the equivalent treble 

Here is the treble options

Now the great thing about the L1 is that with these combined, you can get some pretty interesting combinations:

This is min bass/min treble vs max bass and max treble.  So by playing with this and adjusting volume accordingly you can either bump the mid-range or recess it.  Pretty neat if you have a headphone that needs a little more or a little less in each area.

And if you're the type looking for max xwing between treble and bass, that's catered to as well.

All in all I really like the L1 so far - very versatile.

Sadly the balanced connection isn't working on the sample - so I couldn't test that.  not sure if its the cable of the L1 - but its dead (single-ended works fine).

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #129 of 196
Moving on to the earphones - and this will enlighten some, surprise others, and I guess be an interesting topic for discussion.

Disclaimer:
The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

First the CL750

Actually sounds pretty good. Typical V shaped sound - but not really overdone too much.  Some big bumps in upper mid-range and lower treble - but I don't mind it too much.  Sort of a Trinity type sound.  Would have been nice to start with this sig and had filter options to adjust the tonality a bit.  Channel matching is really good too. More when I finish the write-up.

And now the CL1

As others have stated - it is very V shaped (a little surprising for a flagship), and has quite a bit of warmth.  But the issue is the lower treble.  I'm not sure what the peak is supposed to be (there is a little channel balance as shown [I measured a dozen times and it isn't my rig]) - but its at 7-9 kHz on this pair.  The issue is that its 25 dB above the mid-range - and yes, its really got a lot of heat. I actually think they're on the right track with this - they've just overdone it (for my tastes anyway - and I don't mind a brighter signature).  EQ the bass back a bit and lower treble back a lot - and they sound really good.  Again more later.

Finally - the CL750 vs CL1

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #131 of 196
It's a shame you didn't get a chance to have a listen to the balanced . The balanced CL/DL combo. They need to get that to you if possible. This is an interesting debate and a great set of measurements and raises the question- does a measurement colour our perception of the sound quality or does our perception of the sound quality colour our views on the measurements. Not at all? Or both?

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #132 of 196

Sorry - should have had this to you last week.

It shoulda been available on their web page like Fiio has been doing for years.

Thanks BTW.

My opinion of the flagship was different from all others. I felt it was not tuned like a $600 IEM or even $300 IEM that is the TOTL in a series. Your graphs are what I heard.

That recessed area is where the woman's voice on the Floyd track is and it was hard to catch.  Lotta vocals in that scoop area. I am a basshead and known EQ tweaker but I don't wanna have to do that. The Fidue A83 are half the price and better tuned IMO.

The dacamp?   THAT....is a righteous piece of awesome kit. LOVE IT!

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #133 of 196
  It's a shame you didn't get a chance to have a listen to the balanced . The balanced CL/DL combo. They need to get that to you if possible. This is an interesting debate and a great set of measurements and raises the question- does a measurement colour our perception of the sound quality or does our perception of the sound quality colour our views on the measurements. Not at all? Or both?

I listen before I measure. 99% of the time now - the measurements reflect what I hear.  What I heard from the CL1 was V shaped, more sub than mid-bass - but decent amount of both.  A lot of heat in the lower treble (it sizzles a lot - and is really over done IMO).  TBH I expected the peak to be more around 6-7 kHz and a bit lower in intensity.

Flatten it out a bit - and its a nice sounding IEM.  I can see where they're going.  I just don't think they have the tuning quite right yet.  They need to back off the bass just a bit (IMHO this has always been a trait of their IEMs, and really not necessary for a flagship), and definitely that peak in the lower treble needs to be sorted.  I was playing Pearl Jam tonight through the L1, and even with -3 treble, there was still some heat with Eddy's ssssss's.  There isn't ever with any of my other IEMs.  Like I said - on the right track - just over done.  There is extension - and then there is excess.  This is excess IMO.

And in my experience with balanced circuits - it won't help the CL1. Thats a genuine frequency issue.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #134 of 196
  It shoulda been available on their web page like Fiio has been doing for years.

Thanks BTW.

My opinion of the flagship was different from all others. I felt it was not tuned like a $600 IEM or even $300 IEM that is the TOTL in a series. Your graphs are what I heard.

That recessed area is where the woman's voice on the Floyd track is and it was hard to catch.  Lotta vocals in that scoop area. I am a basshead and known EQ tweaker but I don't wanna have to do that. The Fidue A83 are half the price and better tuned IMO.

The dacamp?   THAT....is a righteous piece of awesome kit. LOVE IT!

Thanks Chris - I was using the L1 tonight, and I'd consider using it as a desktop DAC/AMP for my main rig - if I didn't have the iDSD.  Good power output, great implementation of the tone controls, and just sounded really good with the HD800S.  L1 + a nice little cradle - yeah, it would work pretty well.  Impressive bit of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back