rfi/emi noise suppresors
Dec 31, 2001 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rmer

New Head-Fier
does anyone know where to buy some efficient rf/emi noise clamps for my headphone cable (to headamp) and for my mini to mini cable (pcdp to headamp) as well
any suggestions what to buy for this portable gear really appreciated.
also, how does it affect on sound with clamps on and how much of them i actually need?

thanks
rmer

Dec 31, 2001 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by rmer
does anyone know where to buy some efficient rf/emi noise clamps for my headphone cable (to headamp) and for my mini to mini cable (pcdp to headamp) as well
any suggestions what to buy for this portable gear really appreciated.
also, how does it affect on sound with clamps on and how much of them i actually need?

thanks
rmer

Hi.
Here's the thing you need:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=273%2D105

If your cord is small enough you can wrap it through the filter a couple of times and then snap it shut.

Personally, I don't use these on signal cords as I find it cuts out the highs, but they work wonders on power cords and that's where I use them.

Jan 2, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 6
The RS are $5 each. The TDK you can get for less, but they're in very thin beige plastic shells that crack after a few opening-closing cycles; the RS are black and in much stronger cases. If you get the RS, buy the package of vinyl cable/wire grommets they sell, choose two that match the diameter of your cable, cut them in half with a scissors so you can slide them on the cable and then put on the clamp. Works great on my MDR-V6 to cut RFI, they don't slide, and the cable is protected.

Jan 3, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 6
If you look at the discussion on some audiophile forums, such as AudioAsylum, you'll find many opinions. Ferrite chokes are made to disrupt the external magnetic field around a cable and thereby reduce the amount of RFI that the cable picks up and conveys to the connected equipment (that's my layman's understanding). Some people find them to work very well, and others claim no change or an attenuation of high frequencies. The response to the latter is that what's being filtered is the radio interference noise and that the system's "air" was based in part on the added high-frequency hash. Most common use in audio is on powerline cords, and then on low-current interconnects; first, the whole system should be properly grounded, then applying chokes can cut down on any RFI that remains audible. You'll see them on most computer cables, usually molded into the cable -- computer equipment is vulnerable to RFI and EMI.

In my system, I find them critical to reducing RFI, and I found that my MDR-V6 cable was picking up radio signals when connected to my preamp. The ferrite choke solved that noise problem. Cheap tweak to try, and if it works, it is money well spent. Chokes come in many price ranges and sizes, ranging from under $1 to the expensive AudioQuest eye candy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back