Reviiew: Sennheiser HD-555 (My first 'phones)
Nov 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Youngblood

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've had my 555s for about a week now and I figured I would go ahead and post a review, keep in mind this is my first review and my first 'phones. got any questions just ask!

Comfort

Let me start off to say my head is huge and these are still so comfortable! The outside of the pads are made of a silk like material  (very soft) while the inside is made of some squishy material that I'm not sure of, but it feels top quality. They also don't apply much pressure on my head or ears which is great, there pretty lite,in fact there so lite sometime I forget there on. The phones can be adjusted to fit your individual head like any other set. Another thing I may add is that I have a friend who had a pair of Beats solos, I cannot wear them because of the pain I have in my ears when I take them off, but these are just so comfy!

Design

These things aren't exactly meant to be worn in public as I'm sure some of you may know. This is because there big, leek sound, and they were designed with home use in mind. but apart from that there isn't much to say thats a downside, they have an open back design (hence the sound stage), and they work great for all types of media including: music, movies, games, ect

The sound  

Nows the most important part of the review, heres a list of the movie, game, and music tests in that order.

Movie: The Road   Format: Blue-Ray

This is where I think these phones did the best. I was amazed to say the least. The sound was very clear and it felt like I was getting every detail from the movie. I recall a part where there was an earthquake in a forest area and the 'phones were vibrating from the loudness, but I didn't hear a bit of distortion! I think these sounded better than my bro's $500 surround system, which was at the time great too. All together if your a big movie watcher than get these, you wont be dissatisfied.

Game: Battle Field: Bad Company   System: PS3  

Its like eating ice cream, you'll never want it to end. this game already sounds amazing but throw in these bad boys and it gets even better. The huge sound stage came in handy for spoting enemys that were nearby. what really impressed me was the guns going off, now that was amazing! Never have I heard such detail coming from a game. Now I know there may be a few who own the AD 700s and think there better for games, well for games yes I have to give you a point. If your looking for something that you could use for some gaming like I do (once a week maybe), than these are great.

Music: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the moon   Quality: WAV Lossless (around 1.4mbps)   Source: Sony Walkman E-series

After hearing this whole album I must say I was very Impressed. the detail in the music was breath-taking, these just blew away the default IEMs that came with the Walkman. Moving on, what really stood out for me was the song Money, such an amazing song and these 'phones make it sound like it should, amazing! the bass was a little lacking, but I used the Sony's EQ to fix that, now its right in tune with my sound likings and I couldn't be happier. These sound great with music, don't let anyone tell you other wise. 

Music Part 2: Dragon Force - Inhuman Rampage   Quality: MP3 320 kbps   Source: Sony Walkman E-series

After boosting the bass a little bit more, I was very satisfied. the quality of the tracks may have been less than desired but the 'phones still didn't disapoint. though this time around it wasn't as amazing as the Pink Floyd album, it still sounded awesome. the guitars came in clear and vocals were quite nice, drums beating along with the rest of the song just sounded great. all-in-all a great experience

this concludes my review, here are my scores

Comfort 10/10
Design 8/10
sound   movies 10/10   games 7/10   music 9/10
all together 8.8/10

hope you enjoyed reading my review!

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 9
The 555 is a good little headphone. Now open them up and take out the foam out. It's a nice improvement in bass and soundstage.

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Yea I have a question, what are you comparing these to?

edit: found it, default earbuds and entry surround speakers.

It is quite pointless to review the HD555 without comparing it to another headphone of a similar price range, especially if it is your first phone as there are many reviews that do it solo. Look at the abundance of 5 star reviews on amazon, that's what this is like. Alone it looks and sounds great, like my BenQ G2420h monitor, but next to a Dell U2410 it looks like $100.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 9
To trysaeder
I know I didn't post it in the review but these sound a lot better than the Beets solo ($175+tax), which had WAY too much bass for my tastes. I haven't much to compare it to since these are my first 'phones but as I get more I'll make better reviews, I just thought this might help some people trying to find a good pair of headphones. I did do a little comparing of the ad-700 in the gaming part though. thanks for the tip.

To slaughter
Yes I was going to do it but when i got to the last part to remove I realized my screw driver was to big 
mad.gif
 So now I'm looking for a new screw driver thats small enough.

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Nice review

yeah, Floyds DSOTM is great on a good pair of cans!

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Not to steal the thread, but can anyone offer a comparison between these and the Audio Technica M50s?
I would be using it unamped with an Ipod touch and a laptop to listen to all kinds of music and the odd movie.
Ignoring the open/closed diff - I don't need them to be stealthy. Thanks.

I would start a new thread and ask that question. Most users won't see it here -- as it's hidden in this thread.

(Sorry, never had the HD555 -- but the AD700 is somewhat similar, and I have had that and the M50.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back