Reviews: Some people collect amps. I collect soldering stations.
Dec 25, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #61 of 64
Quote:

I'll replace them with similar CK tools, which literally will last a lifetime.

If I had it to do over again.....I would prolly go with the Erem 592Es instead.
My CK cutters were not all that until after I re-sharpened them.
They sure could shoot the leads for distance with the stock edges though.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #62 of 64
If you want to make your own decisions about which solder to use and how to solder, you need to know what factors to consider. A few random things to consider are:
  1. The materials you're soldering, including coatings on boards and parts, and how the materials in solder interact with them
  2. The solidification behavior of different solder compositions, in both eutectic solder and solders with a plastic phase
  3. Properties of solder, such as adhesion, wetting, flow, and the structure of solidified solder
  4. How solidified solder and joints behave over time, and what can go wrong
I don't know of any really good guide to it all. Instead, here's a bunch of random documents that together should give an idea of the variety of issues, and steer you towards asking the right questions and maybe how to get answers. I haven't vetted these, or even read all of them through, because what's important is that it exposes you to concepts. They vary from "scholarly" research (phd crap) to more understandable stuff, so don't be put off by a few--give them all a look first.

There's nothing here about how solder sounds. That's a different discussion.

Soft Solder Navigate back from there for info on soldering copper.
A Comparison Of Tin-Silver-Copper Lead-Free Solder Alloys
Fracture of a Lead-Tin and a Tin-Silver Solder Under Combined Tensile Shear Loading
Tin Plague
Traditional Solder Materials
The Impact of Reflowing A Pbfree Solder Alloy Using A Tin/Lead Solder Alloy Reflow Profile On Solder Joint Integrity

One thing I couldn't find was a comparison between eutectic and plastic-phase solders. I'd suggest that if a part is moving because you're holding it by hand, a eutectic solder could lead to a less secure joint that looks good, while a solder with a plastic-phase could lead to a more reliable joint that looks bad.

Some solder melting temperatures. I don't believe these numbers are all correct.
Code:

Code:
[left] Plastic Temp Liquid Temp %Sn %Pb %Ag %Sb %Cu C F C F 0 100 . . . . 327 620 10 90 . . 224 435 302 576 38 62 . . 183 361 242 468 48 52 . . 183 361 218 424 60 40 . . 183 361 188 370 63 37 . . Eutectic 183 361 100 . . . . . 232 450 95 . . 5 232 450 238 460 35 63 . 2 187 369 237 459 27 70 3 . 179 354 312 594 40 57 3 . 179 354 312 594 62.5 36.1 1.5 . Eutectic 179 354 96.3 0 3.7 . Eutectic 221 430 0 97.5 2.5 . Eutectic 305 581 0.08 97.5 1.75 . Eutectic 310 590 ~61 ~35 ~3 . ~1 Eutectic 190 374 Cardas Quad Eutectic 95.5 . 4 . 0.5 Eutectic 217 423 Indalloy 246 Sn = Tin Ag = Silver Pb = Lead Sb = Antimony Cu = Copper[/left]

While I'm at it, here's a few other useful things related to soldering techniques. This is the practical side of the same issue.
Soldered Electrical Connections
Through-Hole Soldering Terminals
Through-Hole Solder Joint Evaluation
Solder Quality Factors

Also check out
NASA Workmanship Standards
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/
http://www.ipc.org/

And snoop around http://www.circuitrework.com/guides/guides.shtml

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #63 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What wattage (soldering iron) is the best for cables?

If I only had one cheap iron for cables, I'd want at least 50W. But that's very simplistic.

Wattage is only one factor. There's also the efficiency of heat transfer, temperature, and a variety of factors that affect how well the iron maintains a given temperature.

Wattage is the amount of power consumed by the device, including any power and heat lost in the electronics.

Heating elements can be more or less efficient in converting power to heat. Ceramic elements are more efficient than coils by about 1/3, so a 35W iron with a ceramic element will typically produce as much heat as a 50W coil.

As soon as you touch the tip to a colder material, heat flows from the tip to the material. The loss of heat begins to lower the tip temperature immediately. To maintain a constant tip temperature, you need to add heat to the tip as fast as it's being transfered to the other material. Faster, in fact, because there are losses all around.

The larger the piece of material, the more heat is required to raise its temperature a certain number of degrees. A connector has more metal than a resistor, so you need more heat to raise its temperature to the point where solder melts. It's actually not so straight forward because heat flows at different rates depending on the structure or configuration of the material, as well as the type of material. If you can heat a small point quickly, the heat won't have much time to dissipate through the material, so the small point will come up to a higher temperature. This is one reason people use a high temperature iron and solder quickly.

A simple iron without temperature control simply supplies the same amount of energy to the heating element at all times. The switch controls the amount of energy. The temperature of the tip when idle (i.e. once the temperature stabilizes) comes about from the balance between various losses and efficiencies, and particularly radiation of heat from the tip to air. Touch that tip to a connector and you can guess what happens. Heat is transferred to the connector, but the incoming heat doesn't change, so the tip temperature drops, usually considerably. Without feedback to tell the iron to crack up the heat, the temperature will stay lower all the time it's in contact with the connector.

In a temperature controlled iron, there's a sensor that detects temperature. This is wired to a switch that controls the heating element. The dial controls the temperature at which the switch triggers. When it triggers, energy is applied to the element heating the tip. When the temperature is higher than the setting, the energy is cut off. Touch this tip to a connector, and the same thing happens at first. Heat immediately begins flowing into the connector, and the tip temperature drops, but the sensor detects this and more energy is applied to the heating element to compensate for the heat loss.

Additional complications arise in any iron, but that are more important in a temperature controlled iron. The ability of any element to heat the tip is affected by the distance between the element and the tip as well as the conductivity of the material. There's also less heat loss when the element is closer to the tip, because such designs typically have less material between the element and tip from which heat can radiate. Because of this, you want the heating element as close as possible to the tip. For the same reason, the closer the sensor is to the tip, the faster it will detect the heat loss and compensate. With both very close to the tip, the whole system will compensate faster. The initial temperature drop when you contact some material will be smaller, and the tip will have a better chance to remain at the predetermined temperature. Some irons have more sophisticated temperature controls. Metcal, for example, uses a small high frequency coil very close to the tip to generate heat, and relies on special materials that become magnetic or nonmagnetic at a certain temperature to pass or block the magnetic field. This is a very efficient system that makes a 50W Metcal competitive with a 70W hakko which uses ceramic elements, and the Metcal has better stability because the feedback system is so fast.

While temperature controlled irons are usually more efficient, and can maintain temperatures better, they can still only generate as much heat as their wattage and efficiency allow. With a large enough or cold enough block of material, even a high powered iron can lose more heat than it can generate. Irons with higher power ratings are capable of generating more heat, so you do want more wattage when soldering larger components. But you can't just compare wattage ratings without taking into account the efficiency of the heating element and the other losses in the design.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #64 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had it to do over again.....I would prolly go with the Erem 592Es instead.
My CK cutters were not all that until after I re-sharpened them.
They sure could shoot the leads for distance with the stock edges though.
biggrin.gif

i have to close my eyes when cutting with my Hakko brand cutter. it says "Made in Italy" on the handle so it must be good
bigsmile_face.gif
. the handles are Ducati red to boot.

i'm using less solder these days and prolly saving wear and tear on the blades.

i have zero complaints with my Hakko 936. i switch tips on the fly and attain temp quickly without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back