Reviews: Some people collect amps. I collect soldering stations.
Mar 24, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #16 of 64
OK, you have me looking at irons because I got the bug. I say that someone had the helping hands PCB holder, but this specific unit had a third hand with a pad to hold a loose component into place until the board has been flipped and the component soldered into place. Anyone know of such a device? Its kinda like the model with the magnifying glass but it has an extra hand instead.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, you have me looking at irons because I got the bug. I say that someone had the helping hands PCB holder, but this specific unit had a third hand with a pad to hold a loose component into place until the board has been flipped and the component soldered into place. Anyone know of such a device? Its kinda like the model with the magnifying glass but it has an extra hand instead.

I'd just put a bit of shoe goo under the component, like a capacitor... seems like what a lot of manufacturers do.
But I just put enough to hold it in place and stay out of sight.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but how does the iron sound?

the iron only seems to have 1 bit of resolution. I can make it click on and off but when I try to PCM modulate it, well, the result wasn't pretty
wink.gif

otoh, when I try to play country or disco thru my iron, it actually sounds BETTER. go figure.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 64
I need one of those soldering tools too ^ ^

Mar 24, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 64
thermometerdifferencesm.jpg

Larger image

Uh oh! That's not good. Don't know who to trust. Next step is to look into more trustworthy thermometers, but I'm not sure whether or not it's worth doing.

The FG-100 reads room temperature as 75F, which is a bit warmer than it really is in that room, but is within tolerance. The 191 clearly needs calibration. Fortunately, the 191 can be calibrated. The FG-100 must be shipped back to hakko for calibration.

After some additional trial and error with the new FG-100, I'm going to proceed (for now) on the assumption that it works and is properly calibrated.

The Hakko 202 and 203 stations both measure dead on from 650F to 800F with the 2.4 mm chisel tip.
The Hakko 202 measures dead on from 650F to 800F with the tweezers.
I didn't yet measure the desoldering tool.

The 936 measures dead on with the dial set at 700F.

The FP-102 runs too hot by 30F with the 2.4 mm chisel tip, but it has a "no calibration" bug... err... feature. The temperature is supposed to be controlled by the heating element within the tip. I measured the resistance of the tip as per Hakko's instrictions, and it's 8.1 ohms, which is as expected. The same tip and handle were dead on with the other stations, so it's not the tip. Hmm...

The Metcal station also has that no calibration feature. Either my tip is mislabelled, or I misunderstand the meaning of the Metcal temperature series. The documentation seems to say that a Metcal 0xx series tip should be 600F. Mine measures near dead on 700F. Another Metcal tip measured 650F.

It seems the only stations out of spec are those with a "no calibration" feature. I don't want to draw conclusions from this--I probably do misunderstand the Metcal specs--but it does give one pause.

[size=medium]Hakko FG-100 Tip Thermometer[/size]
Battery operated thermometer for measuring soldering iron tip temperatures.

List Price: $221
Includes thermometer gizmo and a pack of sensors.

Accessories:
A1310 Thermocouple Probe (for measuring soldering pot temperature).
C1220 Temperature Probe (extends the reach of the thermometer).

First Thoughts:
It seems to work okay. Temperatures read quite accurately, although so far I'm only judging by actually reading the soldering irons and seeing if the thermometer reads the expected temperature.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #24 of 64
Hot tweezers (aka talons) are highly specialized desoldering tools designed to remove smd parts with parallel leads. They're not meant for quad chips with leads on four sides, or any other type of part. Small tips remove two terminal resistors. Wider tips can remove chips with parallel leads.

[size=large]The contenders[/size]
Three Hakko tweezers face off. For pictures and further information on each tool see Hakko FM/FP Handpieces & Accessories.
From top to bottom:
  1. Hakko FM-2023 Mini Hot Tweezers
  2. Hakko 950 SMD Hot Tweezers
  3. Hakko FM-2022 SMD Parallel Remover

I'd like to add the Metcal talon to the list, but haven't found a used one at a decent price. I'll add others, as I can afford or borrow them.

contenders.jpg

[size=large]Quick Overview[/size]
These are very different devices, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Lack of comparable tips for each tool taints this comparison.
  1. The Hakko FM-2023 Mini Hot Tweezers are designed for very small parts, and is the only tool that can reach into cramped quarters, but the small tips make it slow going. It's the most precise and comfortable to use of the pack.
  2. The Hakko 950 SMD Hot Tweezers can be used with the 936 station. Many of the tips are poorly designed (and overpriced) undermining the tool's potential abilities and strengths. The tool could also use a tweak or two and should be less expensive to better match the needs of 936 users.
  3. The Hakko FM-2022 SMD Parallel Remover is a workhorse with a nice selection of precision tips.

[size=large]The Circuit[/size]
The two-sided board used for testing is a PNY Technologies GF2-Ti64D-AGP. Only the smallest two terminal parts were removed for this test. I don't know what size parts these are, but they measure under 0.1" long.

tinyresistorsmall.jpg

[size=large]Procedures[/size]
The 2022 and 2023 tweezers were both powered off the Hakko FM-202 dual soldering station. (One at a time.) I set the station temperature to 600F. I then measured the temperature of the tips, measuring both tips in each pair. Readings on the FG-100 thermometer varied from 305-315C, with most of the readings at 307C (585F). I adjusted the dial on the Hakko 936 station to match the 307C temperature of the other tweezers.

I arrived at the following test procedure by trial and error.
1.Heat the tweezers to temperature, verified with the thermometer.
2.Apply solder to the tip.
3.Desolder four parts in quick succession, removing each part in turn by rubbing the tip against the (unused) soldering iron stand on a panavise electronics workstation.
4.Touch the tip to fresh solder. This step is necessary because the thermometer only reads correctly if the tip is cleanly soldered.
5.Measure the temperature of one random tip in the pair.

Important criteria are as follows:
1. Speed in removing parts.
2. Ease of removing parts.
3. Decreased time to desolder successive parts.
4. Number of parts that can be desoldered without retinning the tips.
5. Ease of using the tool.
6. Selection and build of tips

[size=large]Discussion[/size]
As you can see in the pictures, I don't have comparable tips for each tool, so it's difficult to separate the capabilities of the tweezers from the tips. While the 950 did have measurable temperature drop, a more measured approach--slowing down a bit, tinning and/or fluxing the tip between each removal--would give it some time to recover. The mini tweezers also work very well with a measured approach. The 2022 parallel remover with the larger machined tip can stand up to repeated part removal. Tip construction would seem to be a major factor in choosing a tool.

Couldn't take pictures during actual desoldering. Had to balance the camera with one hand while trying to hold the tool in place with the other.

[size=large]Hakko FM-2022 SMD Parallel Remover[/size]
desodleraction2022.jpg

The Hakko FM-2022 SMD Parallel Remover is a workhorse at removing small SMD parts fast and repeatedly. The tip could desolder about eight parts before retinning was necessary. No temperature loss was measured at any time. All available tips are machined, and bent to make proper contact with parts. If anything, this tool operates a little too fast--I'm still fumbling with placing the tool when the part gives way. At these speeds, the grip should be a bit more ergonomic. While fewer tips are available compared to the 950, the actual selection is more varied and useful.

[size=large]Hakko FM-2023 Mini Hot Tweezers[/size]
desodleraction2023.jpg

The Hakko FM-2023 Mini Hot Tweezers are designed to get into small spaces where the others can't reach. To suit this purpose, the (3) available tips are very small. It's not designed to quickly desolder several parts in succession without retinning, although it occassionally managed three or four. Perhaps it's because the small tips don't hold enough flux and solder. No temperature loss was measured at any time. The (freshly tinned) tool failed to remove a part a couple of times, and had to be retinned. It has the most comfortable feel of the pack, and operates precisely if you pace yourself, don't go too fast, and tin the tip after desoldering each part. It's the only tool in the pack that can be switched to open or close when squeezed. The tips are set in the tool at an angle, allowing straight tips to grab very small parts. The tip end of the small handle can get hot at higher temperatures (say, 700F).

[size=large]Hakko 950 SMD Hot Tweezers[/size]
desolderaction950.jpg

The Hakko 950 SMD Hot Tweezers are designed to work with the 936 soldering station, unlike the others that require a dual station to operate. Temperature loss was measurable after the removal of a single part, and deteriorated further with repeated desoldering. The (freshly tinned) tool failed to remove a part several times. Most, but not all, of the available tips are flat and angled towards the center so they touch parts at an angle instead of mating precisely with the part. While this isn't necessarily a problem for wide tips meant for SOIC and larger packages, it significantly reduces the efficiency of this tool on smaller parts. With tip prices of $51-53 per pair, Hakko needs to machine the edges or lower their price. Tips must be aligned manually, but once aligned, will consistently close straight. The large handle isn't designed for comfort, making it an awkward tool to use. The lack of a machined edge forced me to hold the tool perpendicular to the part, making it awkward to use.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #29 of 64
[size=medium]Hakko 936 ESD Soldering Station[/size]

This is Hakko's least expensive temperature controlled soldering station.
936station.jpg

List Price: $94
Includes station, handle, tip (?in all kits?), holder, and accessories.

Temperature Control:
The Hakko 936 consumes 60W.
Temperature range is 392-896F (200-480C).
Hakko claims an idle temperature accurate to 1C.
This is a simple analog control using a dial to adjust the temperature.
Calibration is done by adjusting a screw while measuring the tip temperature.

Handles:
Three iron sizes are available to accomodate smaller and heavier tasks.
The irons are available ESD safe or not.
A ceramic heating element is built into the handle to heat the tips.

950heatingcore.jpg

Tips:
Tips are heated through contact with the ceramic heating element within the handle.
Each handle supports its own line of tips in the 900 series: 900-S, 900-M, and 900-L, for the small, medium, and large handles.
The small handle supports 5 pointy conical tips and 1 bevel.
The large handle supports 17 tips, including several bevels and knife tips, and a couple of sharp points.
The medium handle supports 37 tips, including pin point, conical, bevel, chisel, hoof, a few of which are available as bent tips,
as well as two knife tips at slightly under 1/4", straight and angled.
Tip are priced from $5 to $10, with most under $6.50.

Accessories:
Can operate the Hakko 950 SMD Hot Tweezers.
A colorful flame decal is available in red, blue, and orange to make your station look cool.

First Thoughts:
Decent iron with good heat capability and recovery, but it runs out of heat on large joints.
Application of heat isn't precise.
Good selection of tips.
Changing tips during use is impractical.

-----------------------------------------------------------
[size=medium]Hakko 950 SMD Hot Tweezers (Conversion Kit)[/size]

Hakko 936 station with 950 hot tweezers and tips.
950package.jpg

List Price: $178
Conversion Kit includes handpiece, 1 set of 2mm tips, holder, and accessories.

Supported Soldering Stations:
Hakko 936, 937, 939, 703, 926, 927 and 928 soldering stations

Temperature Control:
The Hakko 950 consumes 50W.
Tips are heated through contact with the ceramic heating element within the handle.
Temperature range is 392-752F (200-400C)

Tips:
15 tip pairs are available
Angled tips are available from from 0.5mm to 2mm.
Straight edge tips are available from 4.0mm to 25mm.
Two (round) point tips and one solid angle tip (similar to a pair of bevels) is also available.

950tips.jpg

First Thoughts:
It works well and has a good selection of tips.
Heating is uneven between the two tips.
Changing tips during use is impractical.
There's no mechanism to force tips into proper alignment.

Also see SMD Hot Tweezer Face Off.

Compared to the other Hakko tweezers, the larger handle helps prevent the tip from aligning off center when the handle is squeezed.
950alignment.jpg

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #30 of 64
[size=medium]Hakko FM-2027 Soldering Iron Handle[/size]
This is Hakko's top of the line soldering iron handle.
2027mounted.jpg

Note the lighted ring indicating power, and the locking tab on the newer grips.

List Price: $80
Includes handpiece and accessories.

FX-951 Soldering Station
FM-203 Dual Port Soldering System
FM-204 Digital Self-Contained Desoldering Station
FP-102 Soldering Station (discontinued)
FM-202 Soldering Station (discontinued)

Temperature Control:
There is no heating element in the handle.
Instead, each tip incorporates its own heating element.
The element is specially designed for each tip to maintain the appropriate temperature with any supported soldering station.
No calibration required because the heating element is incorporated in the tip.

Tips:
The FM-2027 handle supports 81 tips in the T-15 line. The T-7 line of tips are identical except for the change in part numbers.
A variety of conical, chisel, knife, slot, bevel, conical, and hoof tips are available in straight and bent styles.
Specialty tips include blades up to 40mm, tunnels and quads for SOIC, TSOP, and PLCC packages, and a large mass chisel.
Tip prices vary considerably from $10-15 for standard tips to well over $100 for some of the specialty tips.
Tips can be changed easily and quickly without switching off the heat.

t15tips.jpg

Note the lack of locking tabs on the older blue grip.
t15tipsbare.jpg

First Thoughts:
Very comfortable, pencil-like control and feel. Soft comfort grip handle prevents slipping rolling.
Tips can be changed in seconds while the station remains on.
Fast, precise heating of joints.
Great tip selection.
See individual stations for more information on heat capabilities.

Note:
The original handle has one annoying shortcoming: the tip would often slip off slightly without alerting you.
The way you knew was it cooled off and stopped working, and only then did you notice that the light on the handle was off.
The newer handle has a locking mechanism to prevent this.
The only quibble I have about the new handle is that it's a bit hard to remove, which is dangerous in a hot tool.

[size=medium]Hakko FM-2024 Desoldering Handpiece[/size]

2024mounted.jpg

List Price: unknown
Includes handpiece and accessories.

Hakko FM-203 Dual Port Soldering System (with FM-2024 Desoldering Control Module)
Hakko FM-204 Digital Self-Contained Desoldering Station
Hakko FP-102 Soldering Station (with FM-2024 Desoldering Control Module)
Hakko FM-2024 Desoldering Module (requires separate shop air)

Temperature Control:
There is no heating element in the handle.
Instead, each tip incorporates its own heating element.
The element is specially designed for each tip to maintain the appropriate temperature with any supported soldering station.
No calibration required because the heating element is incorporated in the tip.
Desoldering temperature range is 650-840F (350-450C)

Tips:
8 desoldering tips are available.
Nozzle openings vary from 0.6mm to 2.3mm.
A 1.0mm extra long nozzle is also available.
Tips can be changed quickly without switching off the heat.
Tips are priced from $50-60.

Additional Features:
Removable gun handle allows the desoldering toool to be held like a gun or pencil.
Push button control of suction (trigger control in the gun configuration).

2024pencil.jpg

First Thoughts:
Quick to melt solder.
Easy to use, one hand operation (particularly with the pencil grip) and push button control of the vacuum.
Only works on through hole and point to point: not for SMD.
No need for awkward, jerking suckers or soldering wick.
Sucks a hole dry enough to pull off an 8-pin DIP after one pass.
Just make sure to move the pins slightly while the vacuum is on.
Requires maintenance of filters.

Gun configuration
2024gun.jpg

Shown here in pencil configuration with long nozzle, tip remover in place, and solder filter removed. Also shown are the solder barrel cleaning tool, a regular length tip, the solder filter can, and the fume filters for the air pump.
2024parts.jpg

[size=medium]Hakko FM-2022 SMD Parallel Remover[/size]

2020package.jpg

2022stand.jpg

List Price: $250
Includes handpiece and stand. Tips not included.

Temperature Control:
The mini tweezers consume 140W.
Temperature range is 400-750F (200-400C).
Hakko claims an idle temperature accurate to 10C.
Each tip incorporates its own heating element.
Requires the use of both ports of a dual port station.

Tips:
13 tip pairs are available in the T16 line, ranging from a 0.5mm point to a 25mm SOP.
Tips are priced from $70 to $90 a pair.

2022tips.jpg

Additional Features:
Flange ensures accurate parallel alignment of tips.
Quick change tips.
Sleep mode functionality.

First Thoughts:

Tip Alignment. Note how the tip can misalign if you squeeze hard off center.
2022goodalignment.jpg
2022badalignment.jpg

Side view
2022alignmentside.jpg

[size=medium]Hakko FM-2023 Mini Hot Tweezers[/size]

2023open.jpg

2023tipfull.jpg

The mini parallel remover is designed for use with small chip components as small as 0201.

List Price: $275
Includes handpiece, 1 pair of tips, and stand.

Temperature Control:
The mini tweezers consumes 140W. (???)
Temperature range is 400-750F (200-400C).
Hakko claims an idle temperature accurate to 10C.
Each tip incorporates its own heating element.

Tips:
3 tip sizes are available in the T9 line, all under 2mm.
Tips are priced at $60 a pair.

Additional Features:
Flange ensures accurate parallel alignment of tips.
Quick change tips.
Can be set to either open or close when squeezed.

First Thoughts:
They're not kidding when they says this is for tiny SMD parts. I don't know what type of resistors I desoldered, but they measure under 0.1" long. It's really easy to remove them with this tool. The only problem is one that happens with all tweezers and multi-side specialty tips--you need some way to quickly remove the part if you expect to reuse it.

If you apply pressure the wrong way when you squeeze the handle, it's possible for the tips to be a little off alignment due to the small plastic body.
2023goodalignment.jpg
2023badalignment.jpg

Tweezers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back