REVIEWS: “Brand X” Portable Tube Headphone Amplifier Prototype
Mar 26, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #16 of 54
I contacted Sennheiser today Serow, and they confirmed that the M@H40 IS the same as the later, low impedance version of the HD-40 (the HD-40 was exclusively a high-impedance model for most of it's production run). I previously have only owned high-impedance "original" HD-40s, but understand from those whose ears I trust that the low impedance version gave up nothing in sound quality.

I am ordering two pairs of M@H40s (29.99 from J&R Music World, about half the price of the original HD-40...even less adjusted for inflation). I would recommend anyone who is curious about these "giant killers" do the same, as I find Sennheiser's current marketing plans (as computer headphones, NOT in the regular Sennheiser line!) for these remarkable 'phones quite questionable, and destined for failure! Since they're marketed as "computer 'phones' or "multimedia", I don't know of any high end audio store, or headphone specialty dealer for whom they're even "on the radar". Too bad! Headroom, are you listening/reading???

May 25, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 54
If the output stage has one (!?) tube, doesn't this mean that the "input" or "signal" stage is solid state? And isn't this what is generally called a "hybrid" design? I'm not trying to make a silly complaint, it just seems to me that the use of this terminology varies some in what I've read.

May 25, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
If the output stage has one (!?) tube, doesn't this mean that the "input" or "signal" stage is solid state? And isn't this what is generally called a "hybrid" design? I'm not trying to make a silly complaint, it just seems to me that the use of this terminology varies some in what I've read.

Our circiut engineer said: "Just because we have one tube does NOT mean we have solid state components. One does not follow the other."

We do not have a "hybrid" design.

Aug 4, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #23 of 54
Here is my review for:

The Brand X Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier:

Just for reference, the Audio chain:
Pioneer DV-343 DVD transport ->
ZuCable Firemine digital coax ->
ART DI/O DAC (psu upgrade) ->
DIY Belden CC 89259 attenuating interconnects ->
amplifiers

Amplifiers used:
Brand X
MG Head DT + Wing Mod + EI EL84 + Svetlana 12AX7
Apheared 47 altoids amp (by thomas)

Headphones used:
AKG K501
Sennheiser HD580 (stock cable)
Etymotic ER-4S (most of listening done on this; I consider this my reference headphone)

I have had the amplifier for about a week so here it goes:
This is the latest Brand X amplifier, with circuit modifications and such. It is driven by an ECC88b (a NOS Tungsram apparantely). It is portable, with a built-in LiIon (I think) battery with a recharging circuit (though for some reason the amp's battery is not working during its stay with me) that lasts ~7 hours. The unit is large though, so it is not "altoids" portable - more like airplane portable (if you can get it past security) or car portable, but not walk portable. The final production model is supposed to be smaller though (right now it is the size of a textbook and massive). The amp has four minijacks for four different impedance ranges and two volume controls (left/right), though I am told that the final production model will have one volume pot and a balance control - which I really approve of. The AC power supply is a wall wart type unit, not built-in (there is an IEC connector on the external power supply) - I'm not sure how the final version's power supply will be.

As to the sound, it is a solid, well performing amplifier worthy of note. One thing that totally struck out for me is that it is dead silent, at all volumes, no hiss, hum, just silence (with nothing played through it) - the same cannot be said for either my altoids amp or MG Head.
While listening to the orchesteral works from the anime Escaflowne, the Brand X displays a nice spacious soundstage and great imaging; instruments can be localized a little better than my other amplifiers. The soundstage is slightly wider but slightly shorter than the MG Head's and superior to the Altoids amp both ways; however, due to the lack of noise, the soundstage is much cleaner than the MG Head. I do not think this amplifier is perfectly neutral - I find the highs to be sweet and strong (though not strong in a "bright" way). Another word that pops up into my mind to describe the amplifier is "smooth," most notably in the midrange but also in the highs. The amplifier is not as concise as my other amplifiers, it tends to make the music very liquidy; some portions of songs are simply "beautiful" - especially string instruments or solo passages, though some portions in complex passages can sound a little incoherent.
The bass on the amp is quite satisfying and slamming, especially on songs such as those from Rage Against the Machine. Bass notes seem to sound lower on the Brand X than the MG Head. If it is one thing I find clearly superior than my other amps, it is the nature of the bass - taught, low, and defined. The infamous cymbal clash is best on the Altoids though, I guess it is a solid state thing... then the Brand X, then the MG Head; the two tube amps seem to smoothen out the sharp cymbal clashes. The mids on the two tube amplifiers is a tough battle, I can't tell which one is better - it is more of a flavor or personal preference now (both are much more refined and superior to the altoids amp). The Brand X's mids are tubier, silkier, and a little recessed than the MG Head's; the MG Head's mids sound more prominent and more defined in comparison.

One thing to note is that when I was driving my K501s through the amp, some songs sounded distorted in the mid to lower registers, though many other songs did not - it could be that the K501 isn't getting enough juice out of the 25mW amplifier. The K501 + Brand X combination is a not very desirable one. Even the HD580 exhibits slight distortion in low bass at high/max volume (particularly on the Gladiator Soundtrack, The Battle), though it isn't as much of an issue as it is with the K501 - and I'm not talking about normal headphone distortion at deafening volumes, I think it is an amplifier issue. On the other hand, the Etymotic is impeccable out of the amp... maybe the amp was geared more for the lower impedance headphones? Another thing is that the impedance jacks give you sort of a limited tone control; one song had way too much bass to listen to out of my HD580s, yet when going down to the 20-40 impedance jack (from 250-400 and 100-250) all was well. Interestingly enough, the Etymotic and K501 do not display that significant of a tonal change when changing impedances, and it depends on the music as well. Most of the time, the headphones were used in their respective impedance jack (Etymotic to 100-250, HD580 to 250-400, K501 to 100-250).

Some other things:
I would like to see in the final model, concerning the amp:
- In addition to the minijack, a 1/4" headphone jack and an impedance selector (1/4" should be standard on high end amplifiers, the plugs are so much more durable, and also to consider the many top tier headphones out there with no miniplug terminations)
- Lighter, more portable case
- The distortion issue that I experienced resolved

As for testing it portably, I could not do so since the battery system is not working. I do not have a working portable source with a line out to test it with either.

Dec 29, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #24 of 54
[size=medium]Brand X Portable Tube Headphone Amplifier Prototypes:[/size]
[size=small]X-Rayed and Enigmatic[/size]

1. Description: Portable tube headphone amplifier prototypes.
  2. Dimensions: 10" W, 2.5" H, 8" D; weight is approximately seven pounds.
  3. Price: Unknown.
  4. Manufacturer: Unknown.
Last year I received a fairly mysterious e-mail from someone that simply asked if I was interested in reviewing a headphone-related product -- literally, that's pretty much all it said. I asked some basic questions, he said he couldn't provide any answers yet. A few months later, long after I'd forgotten about the mysterious e-mail, I received another e-mail from the same guy, telling me he had a prototype ready for me to review. "A prototype of what?" I asked -- I mean, I still knew absolutely nothing about what this product was. New type of headphones? Some sort of processor? A headphone amp? He refused to tell me a thing until I signed an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) -- I kid you not. At least the cat knew how to create a sense of intrigue, asking me to sign the confidentiality agreement, and saying things like, "What I will say right now is that there is absolutely nothing on the market like it."

One signed NDA later, and I was told that what would be arriving on my doorstep was a prototype of a portable tube headphone amplifier, and, indeed, there are exactly zero portable tube headphone amplifiers currently on the market, to the best of my knowledge. Okay, so it wasn't a teleportation machine; and it wasn't a cure for the common cold (which, given the ear-stuffing, congesting cold I'm sporting as I write this, would be a "headphone-related" invention I'd welcome) -- just a portable headphone amplifier with a glowing vacuum tube somewhere in the signal path. No, I don't foresee a Nobel prize in this fella's future; but, c'mon, if you're a head-fi enthusiast, you know as well as I do that a portable tube amp really is a cool, novel concept.

And so it arrived. I eagerly opened the box, and, true to the guy's warning, the rickety-looking prototype was, well, not pretty. But he did (and continues to) assure me that the prototype's outer case was designed to do nothing more than hold the innards in, and to provide a place to mount the jacks and knobs. Even now, when I ask him what it will look like in final production form, he goes back to his secretive ways, telling me little other than that it will be entirely unique aesthetically. I'll try to take his word for it -- some very vague hints he's provided indicate that the final product will indeed be very groovy looking.

The Brand X prototype measred 10" wide, 2.5" high, 8" deep and weighed about seven pounds. It looked more like a mini-component designed to be situated on a desktop or shelf than it did a portable amp, and this made it quite awkward to carry around. The manufacturer assures me the final product, though similarly sized, will not be awkward to tote around -- this I have to see.

The prototypes have what I believe is an internal, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, not entirely unlike a notebook computer's (the press-to-see LED battery strength indicator and notebook-computer-like AC cable lead me to believe that it probably is a notebook computer battery in there). It has four headphone jacks (unfortunately mini jacks), each designed for headphones within a certain impedance range -- I believe this multi-jack configuration is something that will make it to production (the manufacturer tells me he is considering offering 1/4" jacks upon request). The only feature I found totally off-putting on the prototypes was the dual volume control, one for each channel. HeadRoom's BlockHead gets away with this for two reasons: (1) it's a true dual monoblock design, and (2) it's designed to be a stationary amp. Dual volume knobs, however, just don't fit in right with a portable amp's purpose, in my opinion -- portable should be simple. Unfortunately, as with the mini headphone jack configuration, I also believe the dual volume control will make it to final production. NOTE 12-21-2002: Though the dual volume knob was originally slated to appear on the final product, the manufacturer just notified me that it has been ix-nayed in favor of the more standard single, stereo volume control -- this move gets a big hoorah from this cat.

The RCA input jacks on the Brand X were not recessed. I'm not sure if they're going to be recessed on the final production model, but it would be my recommendation to incorporate a panel that recesses the RCA jacks while the Brand X is being used portably, that could optionally be removed to accommodate larger RCA plugs if and when the Brand X was being used in desktop mode. NOTE 12-21-2002: Another this-just-in update -- the manufacturer just notified me that the final design will have recessed RCA jacks. He's still undecided on whether or not the amp will incorporate a removable panel to accommodate this -- if it's not too much more expensive to offer this feature, Mr. Brand X Man, I'd suggest going with it.

What's inside the Brand X? That's something I don't know too much about. The guy must have sensed my deep curiosity about what was in there because he had the dang thing riveted shut. I do know, per the literature he sent, that inside is one Tungsram ECC88 tube -- and that's pretty much the extent of my expertise on the Brand X's insides. Head-Fi member Tuberoller actually had the Brand X x-rayed (leave it to Tuberoller to pull this one off), which confirmed the existence of the tube in the circuit; and if Tuberoller (one of our resident tubephiles), after seeing an x-ray of the thing, says there's a tube in the circuit, then there's a tube in the circuit. And I'm pretty sure, eye to the vents, that I can see the faint valve glow inside when the amp's powered up.

[size=small]The Sound of X[/size]

How the Brand X prototype sounded is really a two-part affair, as significant modifications were made recently to the circuit to increase gain and maximum output power, as well as to improve bass response. So the first go-'round with the Brand X was sonically a completely different experience than my latest turn with it.

Brand X v1.0: The headphones I used with Brand X v1.0 were Sony MDR-V6 and Sennheiser HD-600. First of all, this first version of the Brand X did not exude a bit of the euphony often associated with a "tube sound". In fact, it provided a quite neutral tonal balance, particularly from the mid-bass through to the upper regions. Lower bass was good, with moderate oomph, if not the near-standard-setting bass solidity of my HeadRoom Max -- one might never feel anything was lacking in this regard if he didn't have something like the Max sitting right next to it.

One thing I found the Brand X v1.0 to particularly excel at was the more delicate percussive textures. I feel mildly qualified to comment on the realness of recorded drums, as I grew up with a drummer brother (our very own Head-Fi engineer, Neil); and the delicate snare drum on Dave Matthews Band's Crash title track was very alive, with at least as convincing snare-ish snap and sheen as my HeadRoom Max, and maybe even just edging it out in this regard.

The Brand X v1.0 was a nimble sounding amp, with impressive microdynamic detail conveyance. Macrodynamic performance, on the other hand, was its weak point, the Brand X v1.0 sounding a bit anemic when pushed by the likes of the explosive track titled "The Battle" on the Gladiator motion picture soundtrack. When listening to this track at moderate to loud volume levels, the pyrotechnics of the orchestra was quite stunted when compared to the Max. "The Battle" screams to be unleashed fully, but the Brand X v1.0 kept too much of a rein on the excitement. The same thing happened when playing the dynamically dramatic "Polka and Fugue" on the XLO Test CD, the Brand X v1.0 coming off as quite a bit too geriatric in its willingness to crank it up when absolutely needed.

Head-Fi member KurtW (one of our resident META42 builders, and Corda-modder extraordinaire), feeling a little John Atkinson-ish during his turn with Brand X Beta v1.0, took some measurements of the amp, and found the frequency response was "down 1.5 dB at 100 Hz, 3.7 dB at 50 Hz and 7.4 dB at 25 Hz. It was within 0.5 dB between 200 Hz and 12.5 kHz, and only down 1.3 dB at 20 KHz. The ZOTL, in comparison, is only down 0.2 dB at 20 Hz and 20 KHz." However, KurtW did also say that he did not find the Brand X Beta 1.0 to sound bass-shy. Seemingly vexed by these measurements, Mr. Brand X Guy wanted it back to have it measured and, if necessary, adjusted. And that's just what happened; which brings me to....

Brand X v2.0: The headphones I used with Brand X v2.0 were Sony MDR-V6, Etymotic ER-4S, AKG K240DF, and Sennheiser HD-600. Though it arrived clad in the exact same rickety-looking prototype casing as Brand X v1.0, the updated internals made for a wholly different sounding amplifier than the v1.0, and I liked it significantly more than the original.

First of all, v2.0 seems to be sporting some seriously stepped up output power, clearly able to play louder than v1.0, and getting loud without sounding strained (with the exception of one particular headphone -- I'll get to that in a bit). More importantly, macrodynamic performance is helped heaps by whatever changes led to this -- "The Battle" sounded more deserving of its name, and "Polka and Fugue" rediscovered almost all of its intended pomp with the v2.0. Though it doesn't have the most charged macrodynamic capabilities I've heard, it was still quite impressive, and, again, loads better than v1.0.

Bass impact/extension was also turned up a noticeable notch, making the v2.0 significantly more rhythmically enjoyable than the v1.0. The genius of Edgar Meyer's virtuosic double bass performance in "Caprice for Three" from the Appalachian Journey SACD is more easily appreciated through the v2.0 than the v1.0. However, compared to my HeadRoom Max, the v2.0's bass control is a little looser, making Michael Arnopol's audiophile reference bass fusillade at the beginning of Patricia Barber's "Use Me" on her Companion album sound less precise than I know it can sound, and so a little less real around the edges. Outstandingly well-controlled deep bass extension is one of the hallmarks of the HeadRoom Max, and, with several albums I tried with thunderous low bass, the Brand X v2.0 subjectively falls short of the Max's extension, and well short of the Max's control, in this region.

Like the v1.0, the v2.0's treble extension and presenation is excellent, and might not be what one might expect, considering tube amplifier stereotypes. In fact, the v2.0's treble presence is a little stronger than the very smooth, solid state Max. Though the v2.0's treble is more prominent than the Max's, I feel it's very important to emphasize that the v2.0 is still very civilized in that region, never giving way to treble ringing or tizz. As a matter of preference, I generally prefer the Max's smoother upper register due to my ears' sensitivity to treble frequencies; but I will admit that there are some warmer recordings better served by the v2.0's presence in this specific region.

The v2.0's overall tonal balance reminds me of the several Antique Sound Labs MG Heads I've owned, only with much more impressive bass performance. Its detailed, nimble midband is immediately endearing, and its neutrality through this range makes for lovely reproduction of both male and female vocal performances. The Max is quite neutral through the entire midrange with crossfeed off, but, with crossfeed on, the Max can come off a touch too chesty with some deeper, already-chesty male voices. The v2.0's low register solidity and increased output power -- combined with the v1.0's excellent midband performance -- make it significantly more enjoyable to listen to than the already-good v1.0. Long story short, the v2.0 is everything the very good v1.0 wanted to be, but with more gusto.

One area that both the v1.0 and v2.0 do exceedingly well in is soundstaging. Both cast wide open, airy images -- wider than the Max. However, I still prefer what I consider to be a more cohesive, more natural and realistic soundstage that crossfeed provides versus non-crossfeed headphone listening, and the Brand X would be of even greater interest to me with an effective crossfeed option.

Unlike the v1.0, the v2.0 rarely ever sounded strained, and could reach extremely loud volume levels with every headphone I plugged into it, save for one -- the AKG K-240DF's. I've found the K-240DF's to be generally challenging cans to drive for some headphone amps, and the v2.0 did a so-so job, sounding competent at louder volumes with these headphones, but just barely. Already a thinner sounding headphone to my ears, the K-240DF's were almost completely devoid of body when driven by the v2.0. For all practical purposes, this didn't concern me one bit, as the K-240DF's are not on my list of regular listening phones, but I thought it might be worth mentioning for some.

One of the most difficult parts of this review is coming to any key conclusions about value relative to competitively priced units, as I have no idea whatsoever what its price point will be, or even a general range. Conversations with Mr. Brand X seem to suggest to me that it'll be anything but inexpensive. I've since had an opportunity to briefly live with a HeadRoom Cosmic Reference, and I think anyone who's heard one will agree that it may very well be the best portable headphone amp on the market right now. At $800+ in its tip-top form, the Cosmic represents a very expensive portable headphone amp, but it is also capable of bringing home the sonic bacon as a desktop amp against many of its desktop-only rivals. I hope to one day be able to compare the Cosmic Reference and Brand X v2.0 head to head. If the Brand X v2.0 is priced in the range of the Cosmic Reference -- and maybe also given a somewhat more manageable portable form factor than the Brand X prototypes -- then I think it could be a very strong competitor (the addition of crossfeed would make it a stronger competitor still). If it's priced any higher than that, I think it might be a tough sell. At the end of the day, it will probably be the only available portable tube amp when it comes to market, and, priced right, that might be all it needs to reach Mr. Brand X's sales goals for this product.

Pluses: Will almost certainly be the first commercially available portable tube headphone amplifier available if it's released soon; prototype seemed durable (it had been shipped around a lot, but always worked); ability to provide solid bass grunt; nice sense of neutrality; good frequency extension in both directions; timbrally impressive; good soundstaging; can drive just about any headphone you're likely to plug into it quite well; though a tube amp, it ran quiet, and also cool to the touch.

Minuses: Conversations with the manufacturer hint at a relatively high price point (if this ends up not being the case, I'll edit this out of the "Minuses"); though portable, its form factor in prototype stage was more awkward to carry than the Cosmic (even with the Cosmic's 4-D pack); minijacks for headphone outs (I'll keep this in the minus column until I receive confirmation from the manufacturer that 1/4" jacks will be available); no crossfeed; bass control could use some firming up; still an enigma after all this time.

Dec 29, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #25 of 54
Thanks, Jude! Very interesting review of an interesting product – if it finally becomes to one. What I missed in the plus- or (more likely in view of the tube) in the minus paragraph: how long does it run with one battery charge?

Dec 29, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #26 of 54
Thanks for the insightful review Jude.

As the makers of Brand X, it has been our experience that it will play about 8 hours on a full charge.

As we hoped, Brand X benefited from all the reviews; it was improved in direct response to head-fiers' input.

I'll post comments in the next few days regarding some of the points that were raised.

Dec 30, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #27 of 54
I didn't have a Max at the time I reviewed the Brand X and was unable to compare them directly.If this amps comes in anywhere near the price of the Cosmic w/reference module,I think it will indeed be a tough sell.The cosmic has really good bass and crossfeed.

I'm still having some doubts about the circuit design of the Brand X.I saw the tube but while not knowing a much about the circuit design I'm just guessing as to whether or not the tube is in the circuit.The "improvements" made to the circuit seem to be the ones that would benefit the shortcomings in the overall sonic presentation.At this point, more information(at least to those who reviewed it) would be very helpful.I would like to know if this tube is providing gain,if it is really in the input or output stage,what type of transformer/s is being used, ETC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back