REVIEWS: “Brand X” Portable Tube Headphone Amplifier Prototype
May 7, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by analog
We are in the final design stages; making the transition from prototype to final product.

Where can it be purchased when it's done?

Pre orders?

May 7, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #32 of 54
Man... imagine teaming this with an optimus 3400, an Art Di/O with portable battery pack, and this amp.

MMMMM portable tubes!

May 7, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #34 of 54
Well, this is public picture, so do not remove...

messaamp.jpg

See the small 4 outputs along the edge?

Text to go below...

"John Messa from California showed his battery operated tubed headphone amplifier (AC version is available). An ElectraPrint transformer is employed while a Hungarian 6922 tube is for amplification. While the power supply is a secret, it is due to the possibility of it becoming a commercial design. "

May 7, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #36 of 54
Yes and no... yes it's the prototype, no it is not the final design.

As to portability, please show me a smaller battery-powered tube-based headphone amplifier. Remember, size isn't everything.

BTW... it's Meza not Messa.

May 7, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Yes and no... yes it's the prototype, no it is not the final design.

As to portability, please show me a smaller battery-powered tube-based headphone amplifier. Remember, size isn't everything.

Now don't get me wrong it does sound like a cool design and I'd be eager to listen to it but it just seems silly to market it as a portable headphone amp when it's so big, whether having battery powered tubes or not.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim
[size=xx-small]Now don't get me wrong it does sound like a cool design and I'd be eager to listen to it but it just seems silly to market it as a portable headphone amp when it's so big, whether having battery powered tubes or not.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

It's not that big. This is something you can throw in a bag/backpack/whatever and run with a battery powered source anywhere... Anywhere AC is not available... On the pier fishing, camping, by the pool... use your imagination
wink.gif

May 8, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #42 of 54
Also, if you are jogging, amplifier would present additional weight, so it is healthier too...

Seriously, battery driven power supply is probably not chosen for portability, but for quiet operation.

May 8, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #43 of 54
Wouldn’t it be possible to just make a battery pack for the Earmax Pro? How does this amp sound compared to the Earmax Pro?

This “Portable” sounds like it’s going to cost as much as the RKV?

Once the novelty of having a “Portable” tube amp that you have to have a backpack to carry wears off what good is it going to be?

The reality check is- What kind of portable solid state amp can you get for $800 and how does this compare head to head against it? Are they marketing a novelty or an amplifier? How does this compare to a Maxed-Out Meta42 at ½ the price?

And what’s the deal with 1 vacuum tube? How many amps are out there with only 1 vacuum tube? You can look at the specs of the 6922 and see what it’s capable of.

Mitch aka born again skeptic

May 13, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
analog: is this amp "ruggedized" at all? ie: if I toss it in my back pack, can I be sure that pieces of tube aren't flying around inside?

This is a valid concern; one that we believe we have addressed successfully.

The prototype went from CT to MI to CA to TX to NC to CT via USPS and UPS. It was not over-packaged and it survived this trip just fine.

It is our intention that this amp will be good enough to be the only amp you would either need or want for both (trans)portable or home use.

If the size advantage of an Altoid-type amp is more important to someone than the sound quality our tube amp provides, they should stay away from our amp.

It will be some time, if ever, that custom wire-wound transformers and power supplies will shrink in size to satisfy some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back