[Reviewers Wanted] Cayin N5ii DAP - Android based, 64Bit/384kHz, DSD256, WiFi, Play, Streaming
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88
N5ii Tour 25.jpg

Cayin is a China based audio company devoted to developing best-sounding audio equipment within budget. They have a comprehensive product collection ranging from CD players to speakers but their tube amplifier has been particularly well-received. Cayin ventured into personal audio on 2013 and launched a comprehensive list of Headfi products ever since, Among these new products, the Digital Audio Players N6, N5, i5 and N3 are particularly well received.

On December 2017, Cayin has launched their fifth DAP, N5ii. Priced at US$369.99, this is a modernized version of the popular N5 back in 2015 with the following key features:
  • DSD decoding and Hi-Res PCM upto 64Bit/384kHz: DSD64/128/256, SACD-ISO, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, APE, WMA, MP3, AAC
  • WiFi and streaming: download music applications from Google Play, using streaming service such as Tidal and Spotify in online and offline mode, access music files from NAS
  • Balanced driven headphone output: employs quadruple circuit to facilitate differential amplification,
  • Best of both world: incorporated completely independent circuit for single-end and balanced headphone amplification, allow us to optimization the 3.5mm and 2.5mm headphone output the best we can without compromising each other.
  • Audio Priority (AP) mode: maximize audio performance by turning off all networking and wireless functions, shut down all third party applications and further optimized the Android system by keeping the bare-bone audio-related functions only.
  • Fully integrated Type C USB Connection: integrates charging, data transfer, OTG, digital input and output into one connection.
N5ii Tour 24.jpg

Cayin values the user experience and constructive feedback from HeadFi, we learned a lot from this community and we sure hope to get connected with as many dedicated and diversified DAP enthusiast as possible. In view of this, Cayin will organize a world tour as follow:

[COLOR=FF00AA]Tour arrangement:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF00AA]Tour Schedule:[/COLOR]
  1. 13 February 2018: Tour Application Starts
  2. 28 February 2018: Tour Application Ended
  3. 3 March 2018: Tour Reviewers announced and start to collect mailing addresses.
  4. 6 March 2018: Tour Sample will be sent to reviewers
[COLOR=FF00AA]Logistic Arrangement:[/COLOR]
  • Cayin will cover the cost from China to first reviewer on each group.
  • Each tour reviewer is responsible for paying the shipping costs to the next tour reviewer.
  • The last reviewer in the list will be responsible to ship the combo to a designated address to conclude the tour. If the return address requires international shipping, Cain will cover the mailing cost incurred.
  • Cayin will cover all import tax but please help us to control our tax expenditure whenever possible.
  • Unless other stated by your next reviewer, please use trackable mailing service with signature required.
  • The tour reviewer should select the most cost effective mailing arrangement. If the package were to mail within the same country, we should expect the package to arrive within 4 days.
  • If we have more than one Head-Fiers from the same metropolitan area/city joining the tour, we encourage them to pass the equipment in person to reduce shipping cost and mailing time, and share the final logistic cost.
N5ii Tour 30.jpg

[COLOR=FF00AA]Terms and instruction[/COLOR]
  • The first reviewer of each group can keep the Tour sample for maximum of 15 days, and reviewers after that can keep the Tour sample for maximum 10 days, please plan your audition and be prepared to ship/pass the package on the 15th or 10th day of your audition period.
  • By signing up to the tour, you are agreed to post a formal review and/or some form of impressions within 14 days after your audition period, and Cayin can use your review of the N5ii DAP for promotional purposes.
  • We are particularly interested with the headphone/IEMs you used during the review, and is most appreciated if you can include photo of the N3 with associated equipment in your writing.
  • We shall taking into consideration your past participation on tours, previous reviews, and reputation in HeadFi when we select our reviewer, Cayin reserves the right to select the reviewers in the tour,
N5ii Tour 34.jpg

[COLOR=FF00AA]Publication guideline [/COLOR]

Please do not post your impression in this thread, we want to make this an event management thread. Please direct all the discussion and sharing to the main N3 discussion thread and HeadFi head gears review pages, and post the link in this thread after you have uploaded your review/impression.
N5ii Discussion Thread
N5ii Showcase at Head Gear

On top of the HeadFi forum, you are welcome to post your review/impression to your local HeadFi forum/blog/magazine etc., but please provide the link or electronic version of your writing in this thread as previously suggested.
  • In your review/impression, please state that the N5ii is a free loan unit from Cayin, and you have/shall return the unit to Cayin at the end of review period.
  • You can free to write up your sharing or impression as long as it represents your true feeling and opinions toward the product.
N5ii Tour 32.jpg

If you’ve got any suggestions about the tour, feel free to raise your concern here and we shall try our best to enrich the Tour as much as possible.

We are really appreciated for your time and look forward to your participation.

Will Add Tour Updates and Announcement here:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 88
The current user profile didn't have a quick link to check user's review portfolio or even number of reviews in your history, and I need some backgroundinformation such as your location in order to plan the tour, I'll appreciate if participating reviewer can provide the followinginformation when you sign up:
1. Reviews on Personal Audio products you havepublished in Headfi forumor elsewhere.
2. Earphone/headphones that you will be used in your N5ii audition
3. Youe current or previously owned DAP orportable audio source.
4. The city and country you are located.

Last edited:

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 88
Reserved for updates

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 88
I am certainly interested in hearing this and participating! If possible I'd love to help organize a Eastern US Based tour group as well.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 88
Ready anytime you start the European tour Andy!

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 88
As I am looking for a DAP I would certainly be interested.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 88
The current user profile didn't have a quick link to check user's review portfolio or even number of reviews in your history, and I need some background information such as your location in order to plan the tour, I'll appreciate if participating reviewer can provide the following information when you sign up:

1. Reviews on Personal Audio products you have published in Headfi forum or elsewhere.
3. Youe current or previously owned DAP or portable audio source.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 88
The current user profile didn't have a quick link to check user's review portfolio or even number of reviews in your history, and I need some background information such as your location in order to plan the tour, I'll appreciate if participating reviewer can provide the following information when you sign up:

1. Reviews on Personal Audio products you have published in Headfi forum or elsewhere.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 88

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 88

There you go:
1) https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/18829/
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/18363/
2) Headphones: Spirit SounDesign Twin Pulse (pre-production prototype), Beyerdynamic DT880 (mod), FostexTH500RP, Philips Fidelio X2, Even H1
Earphones: Trinity Audio Delta V2, Monk IE (Biggie and Smalls), BEB 2000EX
3) Cayin N3, iBasso DX80, Opus #11, iFi nano and micro iDSD BL
4) Lugano, Switzerland

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 88
1.) None to date, why not start with the N5ii
2.) Sony MDR-1A, Custom Art FIBAE 3, Trinityaudioengineering Atlas and Icarus III
3.) Sony NWZ-A15, own also a ifi Nano iDSD LE and Audioquest Black Dragonfly
4.) Cologne, Germany

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #14 of 88

1. None really, I am still relatively new to portable audio (though I did one for the Fiio F9 Pro in the thread)
2. Westone W60, Noble X, Audio Technica CKR 100iS
3. Fiio X5III and iPhone 7 Plus to Fiio Q1
4. Dayton, OH USA.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #15 of 88

1]
2]
Single Ended;
  • E-MU Purple Heart
  • HE 4XX
Balanced;
  • Modded ATH ES10
  • Ypsilon G1
  • HD 800
  • LCD 2
3]
  • Hm601