Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Apr 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #617 of 812
You got me really interested!! I definitely need to go to the Axpona Expo to the test them!
"THAT BASS!!!! better and stronger than the MD PRO easily!!!! plus the mids are still clear as day if not more clear and natural." It seems to me like the Holy Grail...
Thank you for all these info.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #618 of 812
starts saving money for Z-VIBRO~~

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #623 of 812
Ok, so I just got the ZMF tour pair in today, here are my quick impressions so far versus the Mad Dogs:
-MD pads are more comfortable on my ears
-ZMF's headband is more comfortable, but I found it to get warm on my head after a little while.
-Overall, the ZMFs sound a bit darker; also less "clear" sounding and possibly resolving a bit less detail
-Bass is more present on the ZMF than the MD (probably what's accounting for them sounding darker). There's still good amount of bass detail (probably a bit more apparent detail because it is a bit louder in comparison to the MD). Still not quite as much impact as the higher end modern orthos like the HE400, HE500, LCD2, ect, and, IIRC, less impact/presence than the Paradox Slant.
-Midrange sounds a bit more forward on the ZMFs, whereas the midrange on the MD sounds a bit hollow in comparison
-Treble sounds a bit clearer on the MDs overall. I think the ZMF and MD share almost exactly the same treble spike somewhere around ~10Khz? that seems to slightly emphasize cymbals and make some tracks sound rough.

As far as the aesthetics, I like the look of the paint job, but I'm a bit concerned about the durability. It looks like the paint is starting to rub off around some of the corners of the cups. What kind of paint is this? To me it almost smells like the spray paints I used to use for painting plastic model cars and stuff as a kid... (shrug)

Thanks to Grizzly again for the opportunity to demo these and I look forward to getting to know these headphones more in the next few days!

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #625 of 812
^you have the Slants and AD?

My bad, I meant to say the MD there. 
wink.gif

I've auditioned the AD for about a week though, and frankly it wasn't my cup of tea sonically. I don't own the Slants, but I tried them out around Christmas time, so my memory on their sound signature is getting a tad bit rusty. I do remember enjoying them, especially the impact the bass has, which is something I always felt was lacking on T50RP mods.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #626 of 812
Thats awesome. I really want to hear those slants. The MD PRO etc has good bass qty but not the impact I desire. From hearing prototypes etc the t50 can hit if modded right. 

That particular model is airbrushed on.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #627 of 812
  Thats awesome. I really want to hear those slants. The MD PRO etc has good bass qty but not the impact I desire. From hearing prototypes etc the t50 can hit if modded right. 

That particular model is airbrushed on.

Yep, they were pretty awesome. I can't really compare them very well though since I didn't spend that much time with them, and that was only the 2nd ever T50RP mod I'd heard, but they were pretty great. However, at $700, or $575, they're a little rich for my blood at the moment.

Ah okay, I see. I can smell the paint when it's on my head, and honestly it gets a bit annoying after having them on for a while. 
redface.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #629 of 812
I just got my ZMFs last night, and I have to say that they sound great, even from my Clip Zip!  I love the clarity of the bass - I can easily follow bass lines that I had to strain to hear before. Vocals also sound great - the harmonies on Civil Wars, Nickel Creek, etc. sounded wonderful.  I couldn't stop having musical ADD, just skipping from different artists/albums/genres.   These headphones put a big smile on my face!
My wife even took a picture of me jamming out (I didn't realize how big the ZMFs look
dt880smile.png
).  I'm listening to the HDTracks 2014 sampler now, and WOW!
All I can say is: Great job Zach!

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #630 of 812
  I just got my ZMFs last night, and I have to say that they sound great, even from my Clip Zip!  I love the clarity of the bass - I can easily follow bass lines that I had to strain to hear before. Vocals also sound great - the harmonies on Civil Wars, Nickel Creek, etc. sounded wonderful.  I couldn't stop having musical ADD, just skipping from different artists/albums/genres.   These headphones put a big smile on my face!
My wife even took a picture of me jamming out (I didn't realize how big the ZMFs look
dt880smile.png
).  I'm listening to the HDTracks 2014 sampler now, and WOW!
All I can say is: Great job Zach!

Wow, you took your time to post. Joined in 2009 and this is your first post
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the ZMF club, glad you like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back