Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Mar 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #541 of 812
That why we are all different... What is not significant for me could be huge for someone else... I did the comparison with someone who has much more experience as headhifier and owe several ortho/planar and lyr, mjolnir; he had the same conclusion. I don't say that the magni is better, I just have hard time to justify the price difference but eh that's all the concept of hifi, a 'little' better could cost 4-5x the already good gear. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #542 of 812
  That why we are all different... What is not significant for me could be huge for someone else... I did the comparison with someone who has much more experience as headhifier and owe several ortho/planar and lyr, mjolnir; he had the same conclusion. I don't say that the magni is better, I just have hard time to justify the price difference but eh that's all the concept of hifi, a 'little' better could cost 4-5x the already good gear. 

I would agree with you considering the T50RP doesn't really "scale" very well. As long as it's getting good, clean power, it sounds basically the same on different amps.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #543 of 812
  I would agree with you considering the T50RP doesn't really "scale" very well. As long as it's getting good, clean power, it sounds basically the same on different amps.

To my ears, I find the ZMF/MadDog/Thunderpants (all of the T50rp mods I own) to be extremely finicky with amp/source. I think they sound thin with the O2/Magni, a bit more full bodied with a more powerful(warmer) SS amp, and really well balanced off of a tube hybrid or a warm vintage receiver. I realize the tubes bring forth a coloration of sound, but do not discount the power/headroom.  A redone vintage receiver and the ZMF is an amazing combo. I think they do scale quit significantly, not to the point of an HD650, but I can definitely hear a major difference in sound presentation.

I honestly hear less of a difference with amping the LCD-2 with different amps then the ZMF.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #544 of 812
I would agree with you assessment of the magni feeling "thinner" than the lyr. You actually discribe it much better than I would. What I noticed is that the lyr gave a sort of emotion to the voices...the issue is that I don't know if it was real or just because I knew that it was a the tube amp costing 5x the magni...
So you own a thanderpants..., I am jumping in the DYI wooden T50rp and i am very curious to see how it could compare to the ZMF.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #545 of 812
I would agree with you assessment of the magni feeling "thinner" than the lyr. You actually discribe it much better than I would. What I noticed is that the lyr gave a sort of emotion to the voices...the issue is that I don't know if it was real or just because I knew that it was a the tube amp costing 5x the magni...
So you own a thanderpants..., I am jumping in the DYI wooden T50rp and i am very curious to see how it could compare to the ZMF.

Sound wise, the MadDogs and the ZMF blow the Thunderpants out of the water in clarity, sound stage and separation. The Thunderpants has a good bass response and thick midrange and astheticlly are beautiful, but in a blind taste test the MadDog/ZMF would win hands down. I often thought of contacting Zach to see of he could do his thing to them, but they have a charm to them.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #546 of 812
I agree that these are sensitive to the signature of the amp/ also nicely responsive to eqing with a good eq. Likewise they are revealing of a fakey sounding windows eq or many average portable player eqs.

And yes even these v1s can bang pretty good if you like to eq with a good eq or if your source at least is a little bassy. Then these are gonna be at least what i would call nice and full.

Having gone from the cmoy which was of course muddy and underpowered to the magni which was too thin and edgy and after sending that back I'm just now trying this denon avr-87 reciever sitting here that I never considered before. Thats the best thing so far. The adjustability is nice and although I dont think it's known to be a prticularly awesome headphone reciever, it sounds clean enough for now while i hunt me down a nice big untrimmed 70s receiver. This direction has also inspired me to do my room up with some nice vintage stereo speakers as well to match it. err. maybe not vintage speakers... we'll see whats best for the buck.

Anyway yes there is of course a certain signature that the headphones share across all sources so far. 

One word that comes to mind is hypnotic. Just the right kindof dark. Nothing is exaggerated but it will sort of surprise you with nice twinkles and sounds will jump out at you when the track truly calls for it. 

Realizing now that I landed me an awesome choice for some headphones. I am sort of kicking myself for keeping it bare bones package. I should have went for the zpex or even the balanced. I want to see just how much more awesome something already awesome could possibly be. We all know that feeling.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #547 of 812
To my ears, I find the ZMF/MadDog/Thunderpants (all of the T50rp mods I own) to be extremely finicky with amp/source. I think they sound thin with the O2/Magni, a bit more full bodied with a more powerful(warmer) SS amp, and really well balanced off of a tube hybrid or a warm vintage receiver. I realize the tubes bring forth a coloration of sound, but do not discount the power/headroom.  A redone vintage receiver and the ZMF is an amazing combo. I think they do scale quit significantly, not to the point of an HD650, but I can definitely hear a major difference in sound presentation.

I honestly hear less of a difference with amping the LCD-2 with different amps then the ZMF.
+1
They suffer from bad pairings specifically in the bass.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #548 of 812
+1
They suffer from bad pairings specifically in the bass.

I hope your recommended Nuforce Icon DAC will do them justice 
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #550 of 812
I just placed an order!!!  All Glossy black ZMF v2 ZPEX with ALO CRYO COPPER option. Plus Copper stranded wire. A bass Cannon :)

Zack Called this: "prototype" to me sounds better the "black panther" 

I made this image just for fun :D

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #551 of 812
You're gonna love them crazywipe, my zmf v1 balanced with canare rewiring are my forever phones.  The only thing I'd upgrade to is electrostatic if somehow I won the lottery :p  Even my V1 have plenty of bass when run from my mjolnir.  I listen to EDM and they totally satisfy my bass needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back