REVIEW: Yulong Sabre A18 Reference headphone amp
Jun 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #77 of 177
Well, as it goes, My equipment for testing is an LCD3 and an HD800 with the D18 for the DAC and the A18 vs the LD MK VI+ (stock) - all connected via balanced cables for the amp. Will post results soon. If someone can help me with tube selection for the LD, I could also do a rolled LD VI+ vs A18 as well. Anything for the community!

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #78 of 177
Quote:
Well, as it goes, My equipment for testing is an LCD3 and an HD800 with the D18 for the DAC and the A18 vs the LD MK VI+ (stock) - all connected via balanced cables for the amp. Will post results soon. If someone can help me with tube selection for the LD, I could also do a rolled LD VI+ vs A18 as well. Anything for the community!

I am interested to hear your LD VI+ vs A18 thoughts when you have had a chance to compare them.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #82 of 177
popcorn.gif

Can't wait for your impressions.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #84 of 177
I would think so...the amp really sounds incredible with my LCD3s and the HD800s. Hell, I'm running stock tubes and I still don't have the "hot treble" on the hd800s, unless I'm running "hot" recordings. I still have to roll better tubes (broke as sin after the A18), but I'm sure things will get a lot better. All this, after coming from a Soloist for both headphones.

LD may be China made, but the customer service is incredible (the build is pretty solid too). I had a faulty pair of driver tubes and after confirming the issue, I had the replacement quad in my hands within the week. How awesome is that?

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #85 of 177
So, the A18 is here today. Initial impressions: out of the box, very detailed and smooth. Any hiss present on bad recordings is apparent, but not distracting. Some warmth with the D18 combo. The HD800s sound very nice, but a little sibilant. I'm hoping this will go away after burn in. Also, I can't go over 12' O clock on the Sennheisers, so there is more than enough power, even on recordings which are not as loud. The instrument placement is better than on the LD VI+, so is the soundstage than on stock tubes. I can see why people think of this as a "tube like" sound. Out of the box, I can safely say I can live with the  A18 as my only amp.

Edit: After 12h: Way more smother on the HD800s, No sibilance, excellent soundstage.

On the LCD3s: Amazing.

Will post impressions after burn in for both headphones, soon.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #86 of 177
Quote:
So, the A18 is here today. Initial impressions: out of the box, very detailed and smooth. Any hiss present on bad recordings is apparent, but not distracting. Some warmth with the D18 combo. The HD800s sound very nice, but a little sibilant. I'm hoping this will go away after burn in. Also, I can't go over 12' O clock on the Sennheisers, so there is more than enough power, even on recordings which are not as loud. The instrument placement is better than on the LD VI+, so is the soundstage than on stock tubes. I can see why people think of this as a "tube like" sound. Out of the box, I can safely say I can live with the  A18 as my only amp.

Edit: After 12h: Way more smother on the HD800s, No sibilance, excellent soundstage.

On the LCD3s: Amazing.

Will post impressions after burn in for both headphones, soon.

Awesome, thanks for the impressions so far. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #87 of 177
Project86, I will like to build my "dream" headphone rig with HD800, Matrix X-SABRE DAC and Yulong A18. A lot of people say that the better match for HD800 is tubes but I think that with the right dac/amp you can reach the same performance.

From what I have read so far it would be a very good combination that would drive the H800 with authority, bring out the best image, soundstage, tone and tame the brightness without sacrificing detail and resolution.

I am just curious of the new Firestone Audio Bobby that has recently come out and that are in the same price range (with the Bobby a little cheaper).

I haven't read any review or comparison yet around the web so how would you compare the two regarding smothness on the top end, soundstage depth and width and overall performance. 

From what It's apparent the Firestone Audio is fully balanced and certainly better looking than A18. 

Thank for your guidance!

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #88 of 177
Quote:
Project86, I will like to build my "dream" headphone rig with HD800, Matrix X-SABRE DAC and Yulong A18. A lot of people say that the better match for HD800 is tubes but I think that with the right dac/amp you can reach the same performance.

From what I have read so far it would be a very good combination that would drive the H800 with authority, bring out the best image, soundstage, tone and tame the brightness without sacrificing detail and resolution.

I am just curious of the new Firestone Audio Bobby that has recently come out and that are in the same price range (with the Bobby a little cheaper).

I haven't read any review or comparison yet around the web so how would you compare the two regarding smothness on the top end, soundstage depth and width and overall performance. 

From what It's apparent the Firestone Audio is fully balanced and certainly better looking than A18. 

Thank for your guidance!

I'm working on a review of the Firestone Bobby to be posted at InnerFidelity. So keep an eye out for that in the next month or so. But to give a summary - the A18 is more smooth and warm, while the Bobby is mostly a neutral performer. They have similar levels of detail, with the A18 again being more smooth and yet still very good at extracting the most from the recording. Bobby in full balanced mode has a similarly expansive soundstage compared to A18 - both are top notch in that regard.

Overall I'd say choose based on how you feel about HD800 - is it terribly bright for you? If so, the A18 helps control the highs and smooth them over a bit more. If you find the HD800 mostly neutral, then the Firestone Bobby will maintain that neutrality for you. The pricing evens out when you consider the price of a balanced cable for the Bobby, which is more necessary with Bobby than with A18. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #89 of 177
Quote:

I'm working on a review of the Firestone Bobby to be posted at InnerFidelity. So keep an eye out for that in the next month or so. But to give a summary - the A18 is more smooth and warm, while the Bobby is mostly a neutral performer. They have similar levels of detail, with the A18 again being more smooth and yet still very good at extracting the most from the recording. Bobby in full balanced mode has a similarly expansive soundstage compared to A18 - both are top notch in that regard.

Overall I'd say choose based on how you feel about HD800 - is it terribly bright for you? If so, the A18 helps control the highs and smooth them over a bit more. If you find the HD800 mostly neutral, then the Firestone Bobby will maintain that neutrality for you. The pricing evens out when you consider the price of a balanced cable for the Bobby, which is more necessary with Bobby than with A18. 

well your summary has all the answers I'm looking for! Anyway I'll read your review on the Bobby for sure.
Thank you so much for your hard work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back