REVIEW: Yulong Sabre A18 Reference headphone amp
Jul 8, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #168 of 177
How do you feel this would pair with the new HE 560? I have a Schiit Asgard2, but I find the soundstage quite narrow and of the many promising qualities written about the A18 the wide soundstage caught my eye.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #169 of 177
  Anyone tried this paired with a PS 1000 grado? I'm trying to find an amp to add to my fostex HPA8, and it's definitely not an easy task.

You would think that with what I hear is a fairly bright headphone such as the PS1000 a somewhat warm amp like the A18 would match nicely at least in that respect.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #170 of 177
Just found a mint condition A18 which is now on its way from Texas to me and will be driving my soon to arrive (I hope) HE 560. Based on this review (excellent review by the way, love the Questyle reviews also) and other opinions I think I will have a very good pairing. Not this thread seems very active anymore, but I will still post my impressions here as others may be doing research when they are considering a used A18 as I have done.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #172 of 177
I would have considered the A28, but it sounded perhaps under-powered for the 560 through SE output and I didn't want to have to go cable hunting for a balanced option. That said, I think I will be looking into  a balanced rig soon enough which means the A28 might be in the works before too long. I had the SPL Auditor for about a year and really liked it. I mention that as in your review you said that even compared to the Auditor based on your time with it you still felt the A18 was a better amp for you. That is high praise as with my D7000, HD 650 and my 600ohm DT 880 the Auditor was fantastic. Have you had a listen to the HE 560 yet? Mine is almost here (at the border). Cheers.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #174 of 177
It seems people like the HE 500 with the A18 so that would suggest that the 560 has a great chance of pairing well with it also. I know you are a highly experienced listener and reviewer who keeps the "hype-speak" to a minimum and rather reports on solid sound signature characteristics. Based on what you heard with the A18:

The quality and articulate bass of the 560 mates well with the strong bass of the A18, which may add some grunt power to the slightly lean presentation of the 560

The rich liquid mids as you feel the A18 has should really flesh out the mids on the 560 which are supposed to be more toward neutral and away from the lush 500 presentation

The slight (but seemingly well designed) treble roll-off of the A18 should also compliment the extra, but reportedly well balanced upper frequency energy of the 560 with stock pads

These "generalizations" lead me to feel this should be a great match and I am lucky enough to have found a mint A18 purchased new from Grant Fidelity in 2013 at a very fair price. Can you tell I'm stoked about this amp? Thank you again for the great review. As mentioned you have me quite interested in Questyle amp which may be my next foray in 2015. Cheers.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #176 of 177
  Has anyone listened to the Bakoon HPA-01 and the A18 side-by-side?

I wish I could! I think the low number of users for both amps sadly makes that a little unlikely, but we can hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back