REVIEW: Yulong Sabre A18 Reference headphone amp
Nov 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #46 of 177
Both are really great. It kind of depends on what you are after in terms of presentation - more direct, focused, analog sounding goodness (V200) or more diffuse, three dimensional sound (A18). I tend to keep the stacks together - V800/V200 and D18/A18. 

Well, that makes sense. Thanks for your response!

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #48 of 177
Quote:
Hm, how does the Meier Audio Classic or its predecessor, the Concerto, fare against the A18? Has anyone here heard both? A comparison would be very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been a long time since I had the Concerto, but from memory it is a very different style amp. The Concerto was quick, clean, and somewhat lean. It sounded great with some headphones and not so good with others. It also fared better playing quality recordings and hi-res material. The A18 is smoother, warmer, more musical and fun, but also more expansive and realistic with respect to imaging. It makes everything sound good (possibly better than it should) and is therefore more of a "listening" type amp than a "monitoring" type, if that makes any sense.

For those folks who remember them, the A18 is like an beefed up version of the older Corda Contate and Opera models. I know a few people who were turned off by the direction Meier went with his newer amps - more neutral and revealing but less musical. The A18 is more like an evolution of the older Meier stuff. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #50 of 177
Bump,
why is this amazing amp getting so little hype here on head-fi?
Is it because it is Chinese?
I am totally loving it,and saving up to get the Yulong D18.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #51 of 177
Quote:
Bump,
why is this amazing amp getting so little hype here on head-fi?
Is it because it is Chinese?
I am totally loving it,and saving up to get the Yulong D18.

I have the A18 and D18 on order.  I hope to give them some love when I get them up and going.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #52 of 177
Little love indeed.

Looking for a nicer amp to pair with the D100 and of course the A18 is on my radar.

Problem is, I don't know if I'm up for balancing my SP-1 and p86 mentions that using XLR inputs on the A18 and single ended output is not ideal.  How significant is it?  The RCA outs on the D100 are already occupied running into an amplifier for some external speakers.

I know I could always go singled ended out of the D100 into the A18 and get some XLR to single ended RCA conversions to route to the external speaker amp... but that just seems like I am wasting the potential of the D100 balanced output.

Maybe there is a better amp that can further utilize the Balanced out of the D100 into a single ended final destination to the headphone (at least for now)?  I may go balanced later.

I'm looking strong at the Bryston BHA-1 which seems to have favorable reviews.  I also noticed that amp converts the XLR inputs into single ended and then back into balanced for the output, where as the Yulong A18 runs the single ended output off of the "(not truly) balanced" pathway.

Maybe this is causing you to perceive the poorer performance when input =/= output type?

I've also read that the noise rejection benefits of balancing occur at the INPUT of the amplifier... so how significant is a "truly balanced throughout" design?  I know that discussion is elsewhere... but it is relevant with the question "If the A18 has balanced inputs and receives a signal from a true balanced source then the benefit of balancing should be achieved, yes?"  Your subjective experience seems to hear otherwise, which is a very valuable component to my decision.

Would you expect similar results on the BHA-1 if you fed it a truly balanced signal and listened from the single ended output?

Does anyone else feed their A18 a balanced input and listen to the 1/4 single ended out?  How is it?

Thanks

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #53 of 177
Just found out about this beauty, so thanks a bunch for the detailed review, project!

However, now I'm even more troubled! I was planning on getting V200 with D18 for a pair of LCD-2.2 coming this autumn. I do prefer a more anlogue warm sound signature, but a greater soundstage and aesthetically matching amp for the Yulong DAC will rival my decision on the V200. Oh well, I'll have a long time to think - probably even going to pick up whatever comes up first on the Sales section. Guess you can't go wrong with either for the LCD.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #54 of 177
Sorry I somehow missed the last few comments - I deleted this thread from my subscriptions for some reason. 

R-Audiohead, seems you already made the choice for the Bryston, and I'm thinking you'll like it. My only concern is that some people describe it as bright in their setup. Others find it very balanced. So it will be interesting to see what happens with your specific case.

I just saw an ad for a D18/A18 combo in the FS section. Both of them had matching blue LEDs. So maybe the factory is doing that now. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #55 of 177
Quote:
Sorry I somehow missed the last few comments - I deleted this thread from my subscriptions for some reason. 

R-Audiohead, seems you already made the choice for the Bryston, and I'm thinking you'll like it. My only concern is that some people describe it as bright in their setup. Others find it very balanced. So it will be interesting to see what happens with your specific case.

I just saw an ad for a D18/A18 combo in the FS section. Both of them had matching blue LEDs. So maybe the factory is doing that now. 

That's alright, thanks for the response anyways :)

I did end up going with the Bryston... the reviews around many audio circles were great and the flexibility for running single ended or balanced will be nice.

The Sp-1 can be a little picky so hopefully the Bryston isn't too bright.  I get the feeling it will be much, much better than what the D100 can feed them though

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #56 of 177
Quote:

That's alright, thanks for the response anyways :)

I did end up going with the Bryston... the reviews around many audio circles were great and the flexibility for running single ended or balanced will be nice.

The Sp-1 can be a little picky so hopefully the Bryston isn't too bright.  I get the feeling it will be much, much better than what the D100 can feed them though

Every time I see your avatar, I kick myself for passing on the chance to buy an SP-1 a while back. Not that they are impossible to find, but it isn't easy either. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #57 of 177
Quote:

Every time I see your avatar, I kick myself for passing on the chance to buy an SP-1 a while back. Not that they are impossible to find, but it isn't easy either. 

If you do end up getting one, I think it is important to note they now come with velour pads (41-6085) instead of the leatherette (41-6086).

I've tried the SP-1 with both configurations and prefer the 41-6086 pads by a fair margin, although the 41-6085 pads did bring a little bit to the table in terms of soundstaging.  I'd recommend ordering the 41-6086 pads (stock GMP-450 PRO pads) from German Maestro if you do find yourself purchasing an SP-1 ever.  Just awesome sound for the quite friendly price tag...

Anyways, sorry to get off topic

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #58 of 177
Quote:
If you do end up getting one, I think it is important to note they now come with velour pads (41-6085) instead of the leatherette (41-6086).

I've tried the SP-1 with both configurations and prefer the 41-6086 pads by a fair margin, although the 41-6085 pads did bring a little bit to the table in terms of soundstaging.  I'd recommend ordering the 41-6086 pads (stock GMP-450 PRO pads) from German Maestro if you do find yourself purchasing an SP-1 ever.  Just awesome sound for the quite friendly price tag...

Anyways, sorry to get off topic

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have known that. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #60 of 177

I'm really liking the sound on the A18 in comparison to the V200. I can definately feel a little bump in soundstage even on the LCD-2 and I'll look forward to pair it with HD800.

I'm also glad that there's not hum with the 50ohms and I won't be using any sensitive in-ears anyway so I guess I'm in the safe spot. And the heat issue isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Runs just a few degrees hotter than my V200 used to do. Overall really happy with the product. Yulong has left only good impressions so far, and I'll definately have a look at their upcoming models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back