REVIEW: Yulong Sabre A18 Reference headphone amp
Apr 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #61 of 177
Quote:
Is anyone here who owns or has heard both the Audio Gd SA-31 and the Yulong A18? A comparison would be great!

I'm curious about this also as I have a high regard for Audio gd (but I own a D18). I've owned an Audio gd amp and it was remarkable for the price. I also wonder how the SA-31 might compare with the A18. 

May 9, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #62 of 177
I asked the guys over at the little dot thread for some impressions, thought I might ask here too. Would anyone have happened to listen to the A18/LCD 3 combo? I would love to hear some impressions (I'd be driving the phones using a D18 to feed the amp). My other choice atm is the Little Dot VI+.

My concern is that the LCD3s laid back sound might backfire if paired with a laid back amp. For my new amp, I'm looking for greater dynamics...something like the LCD2/Soloist combo for instance.

May 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #63 of 177
Anyone did a comparisation between single ended and balanced output.
I am considering a balanced cable for my HD800 but is it worth the upgrade?
A18 and D18 are still connected through RCA,waiting for XLR interlinks.

May 10, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #64 of 177
Quote:
I asked the guys over at the little dot thread for some impressions, thought I might ask here too. Would anyone have happened to listen to the A18/LCD 3 combo? I would love to hear some impressions (I'd be driving the phones using a D18 to feed the amp). My other choice atm is the Little Dot VI+.

My concern is that the LCD3s laid back sound might backfire if paired with a laid back amp. For my new amp, I'm looking for greater dynamics...something like the LCD2/Soloist combo for instance.

I really like the A18 with LCD-3. I passed on the LCD-3 and went with LCD-2 simply because I didn't feel the 3 was worth the price increase, and also because the 2 is a better reference that more people can relate to/will want to hear about during a review. But the A18 was up there with the best of my amps, with either Audeze model.

Having said that, I do really like those LD amps. The VIII and the VI are both really nice, in fact I don't know which is even considered the current flagship... I heard them a while back with HD650 and they both did a great job on that. Never tried planars though. 

Quote:
Anyone did a comparisation between single ended and balanced output.
I am considering a balanced cable for my HD800 but is it worth the upgrade?
A18 and D18 are still connected through RCA,waiting for XLR interlinks.

I like balanced but it's not a massive difference. The interconnects between A18 and D18 make a bigger contribution to the sound compared to using the 1/4" or XLR headphone jack. 

May 10, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #65 of 177
Quote:
I really like the A18 with LCD-3. I passed on the LCD-3 and went with LCD-2 simply because I didn't feel the 3 was worth the price increase, and also because the 2 is a better reference that more people can relate to/will want to hear about during a review. But the A18 was up there with the best of my amps, with either Audeze model.

Having said that, I do really like those LD amps. The VIII and the VI are both really nice, in fact I don't know which is even considered the current flagship... I heard them a while back with HD650 and they both did a great job on that. Never tried planars though. 

That's one of the reasons why I'm thinking of going back to the 2s. I do love the 3s...they sounded excellent with my erstwhile amp (the Soloist), but I preferred the slam of the 2s. With the 2s, the suffocating soundstage, and the mediocre upper register kinda compelled me to go to the LCD-3s. Lets see how either amp sounds with the 3s...I may be in for a major overhaul yet. Might have to return to my Burson roots, or perhaps go rogue with a Project Ember and the upcoming Concero DSD.

May 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #66 of 177
Quote:

That's one of the reasons why I'm thinking of going back to the 2s. I do love the 3s...they sounded excellent with my erstwhile amp (the Soloist), but I preferred the slam of the 2s. With the 2s, the suffocating soundstage, and the mediocre upper register kinda compelled me to go to the LCD-3s. Lets see how either amp sounds with the 3s...I may be in for a major overhaul yet. Might have to return to my Burson roots, or perhaps go rogue with a Project Ember and the upcoming Concero DSD.

I don't know... for me, the LCD-2 is not "suffocating". I'll admit it isn't the most expansive thing in the world, but it ain't that bad. Also I really like the upper register - especially in the right context (system/music). 

May 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #67 of 177
Quote:

I don't know... for me, the LCD-2 is not "suffocating". I'll admit it isn't the most expansive thing in the world, but it ain't that bad. Also I really like the upper register - especially in the right context (system/music). 

The "closed in" feeling kinda carried over from my Intruder (which I was using as a temporary sub until the Soloist came), and never left. Having sold the LCD2s and bought the 3s, I found myself looking for the bass reproduction of the 2s again. I never did mind the upper register on the 2s...just that the 3s do it a little better. My Little Dot should be here shortly and following that, the A18. I'm playing the wait game for now.

I need another opinion, guys: what would you think of the A18/D18 with an HD800? I've been eyeing that person for a while, but have been too scared to buy it. The whole analogy about the high strung f1 car kinda kept me at bay, but summer is coming (tell that to the Starks :D) and I'm looking to pick up another headphone to complement my LCD-3. Would the A18 have enough power to run it single ended? Balanced?

May 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #68 of 177
^ I am actually going to try out a pair of HD800 with the A18, though through the D100 DAC. Will post my impressions. There was also another head-fier somewhere in this thread that ran his HD800 through A18, but with a non-Yulong DAC.

May 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #69 of 177
I have the A18-D18 combo powering my HD800.
Still RCA connected and stock single ended Sennheiser cable.
Don't have a lot to compare with,but like  Project86 allready tolled us at his reviews,a VERY good match with the HD800.
Absolutely loving the sound,endgame for me.
Yulong used the HD800 to tune his amp if I am correct.
I have to crank it up rather far though ,around 4 o'clock.I like to listen loud...
Don't know if balanced wiring will change that,haven't tried it yet.
Project86 has though,he can tell.

May 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #70 of 177
Quote:
Don't have a lot to compare with,but like  Project86 allready tolled us at his reviews,a VERY good match with the HD800.
I have to crank it up rather far though ,around 4 o'clock.I like to listen loud...

Thanks for the impressions - I fully agree. I don't listen as loud as you though. A balanced connection between the units will double the output voltage meaning you have to turn the volume knob less to get the same listening levels. 

May 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #71 of 177
I have it set rather high at 4 o'clock,so I can adjust my volume using my squeezebox server.
Easier to adjust changes in soundlevel,without getting out of my lazy chair.Just hit the remote,laptop or smartphone.
Love that squeezebox
L3000.gif

May 14, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #72 of 177
Quote:

Thanks...just what I was looking for. The a18's power output at 300 ohm kinda put me off a little (I believe it's around 200mW) as I tend to listen at louder levels as well. I'm thinking of going fully balanced between the A18 and the D18, so I believe the power output should be more than SE.
Quote:

Thanks for the impressions - I fully agree. I don't listen as loud as you though. A balanced connection between the units will double the output voltage meaning you have to turn the volume knob less to get the same listening levels. 

I had previously read your impressions, and they had been imperative in my decision to land on the Yulong combo for my LCDs. Just when I thought I was nearing endgame, I find myself trying out new gear...c'est la vie, i suppose :D If I'm not mistaken, there is not that much of a difference between the SE and balanced outputs of the A18, as long as the interconnects are running balanced, yeah?

May 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #73 of 177
Quote:

Thanks...just what I was looking for. The a18's power output at 300 ohm kinda put me off a little (I believe it's around 200mW) as I tend to listen at louder levels as well. I'm thinking of going fully balanced between the A18 and the D18, so I believe the power output should be more than SE.

I had previously read your impressions, and they had been imperative in my decision to land on the Yulong combo for my LCDs. Just when I thought I was nearing endgame, I find myself trying out new gear...c'est la vie, i suppose :D If I'm not mistaken, there is not that much of a difference between the SE and balanced outputs of the A18, as long as the interconnects are running balanced, yeah?

That's true - the interconnects between the two units (XLR or RCA) is a more important choice than the headphone cable. I think XLR and 1/4" jacks have the same specs in terms of output. 

Also, for 300 ohm loads, 200mW is plenty! With higher impedance loads, we are more concerned with voltage swing, and in that area the A18 has plenty (over 15V if I recall correctly, topping out at 24V into a 600 ohm load). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back