REVIEW: Yulong D100 MKII DAC - an update to an already excellent device
Apr 16, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #91 of 223
@project86

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon, and have been feeling pretty excited about it!  However, I'm a little nervous to have to potentially ship it back to Hong Kong if I decide to try a few different DACs for a shootout -- and the language on the Audio4Less website (who sources the units for Grant Fidelity) seems to suggest there ARE no returns simply for changing your mind...

Thoughts?

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #92 of 223
Quote:
@project86

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon, and have been feeling pretty excited about it!  However, I'm a little nervous to have to potentially ship it back to Hong Kong if I decide to try a few different DACs for a shootout -- and the language on the Audio4Less website (who sources the units for Grant Fidelity) seems to suggest there ARE no returns simply for changing your mind...

Thoughts?

Although the question isn't for me but my feedback might help. I have listened to CA DACMagic and maverick TubeMagic and both are far from the sound quality the D100 gives.

I bought it online for $422.9 + free DHL shipping ( Delivery : 3 days )

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #93 of 223
Thanks project86 for the reply. i'll keep that in my hand. I just read your zdac review, i'm, poisoned.
The zdac looks nice exteriorly though, from the pics the build quality is very nice 
regular_smile .gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #94 of 223
Quote:

Although the question isn't for me but my feedback might help. I have listened to CA DACMagic and maverick TubeMagic and both are far from the sound quality the D100 gives.

I bought it online for $422.9 + free DHL shipping ( Delivery : 3 days )

may i know which website did you buy from?

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #95 of 223
Quote:
may i know which website did you buy from?

Hello Poisonroses,

I got it from this store http://www.aliexpress.com/store/601461    I was hesitating since it's chinese but seller has excellent feedback ( 100% based on hundreds of customers ) so I took the shot.

Was delivered in perfect shape.

@Mods/Admins : Not sure if we are allowed to share links, apologies in advance.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #97 of 223
I got mine from szclever88 on ebay. He's also one of the "FanMusic" sellers, not sure if it's actually the same person/shop but his prices were slightly lower than wsz0304's. They both use the same ebay listing layout as well and both give free DHL express (which is amazingly fast).

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #98 of 223
Quote:
I got mine from szclever88 on ebay. He's also one of the "FanMusic" sellers, not sure if it's actually the same person/shop but his prices were slightly lower than wsz0304's. They both use the same ebay listing layout as well and both give free DHL express (which is amazingly fast).

Did you like the Yulong ? 

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #99 of 223
Apr 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #100 of 223
There's been a D100 in the FS for a while now going for real cheap. I almost wish I was in the market for a mid priced dac. The low price is making me want to buy it lol

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #101 of 223
Got my D100 mkII today and am breaking it in on the soundtrack to the PS3 title Journey.  I'm pretty familiar with this work, and I'm hearing an incredible amount of detail I never noticed before (distant vocals, mallet parts).  I have a set of Grado 325is and they seem perhaps a bit brighter with this unit than they did with my old Apogee Duet, but that's probably more to do with the cans than the D100.  Just ordered a set of 600 ohm DT 880s and will see how they compare.  I still want open-back, bright, detailed cans for mixing/mastering, but perhaps the Grados are a bit much with this clean/neutral of a unit.

New toys are always fun :)

So far nothing too strange to report other than having to switch from 220 to 110 around the back and some channel imbalance until I get about 3 clicks up on the volume knob, but I'd never listen at that level anyway, so it's a moot point.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #102 of 223
Got a pair of 600 ohm DT 880s in the mail today from Amazon.

First thoughts:
- much smoother frequency response than the Grado 325is
- soundstage feels a bit wider, probably because the drivers aren't pressed against my ears
- overall comfort/wearability is much improved
- with as much as people gripe about the Grado styling/build quality, however, I'm a bit surprised at how lightweight (borderline chintzy) these DT 880s feel.  My unit also has a misshapen ear pad that doesn't fit snugly, so these will be going back in exchange for another pair.  I was hoping to have a more substantial feeling set of cans -- not that the light weight isn't a good thing in a lot of ways, but the Grados felt SOLID from the housing, all the way down the cable to the 1/4" plug.

Obviously, they do require a TON more drive from the amp to reach the same volume level as the Grados, and I could see some people nervous that the D100 wouldn't be capable of pushing enough volume.  Of course, those people are already half deaf.  But still.  If I can totally crank the amp and not explode, that should tell you something about the output of the D100's head amp.

All in all, a substantial improvement so far!

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #103 of 223
One other interesting point:

Plugging into either the Low or High headphones jack resulted in the same volume level.  I guess I assumed the low jack would have a harder time driving the headphones and require more gain?

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #104 of 223
Quote:
One other interesting point:

Plugging into either the Low or High headphones jack resulted in the same volume level.  I guess I assumed the low jack would have a harder time driving the headphones and require more gain?

High impedance gives higher volume punchier beats on my IEMs, Sound is very different, at least for me. I can't get past 12 o'clock volume. On low impedance I can put it to maximum and bear the volume. ( IEM impedance 32 Ohms ) 

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #105 of 223
I noticed a difference with the Grados (32 Ohms), and the amp gets painfully loud REALLY quick on those.  But I can drive the DT 880s all the way and bear it easily (though I wouldn't!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back