Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #586 of 1,182
If you use USPS First Class, it's about $40. I will cover it for you if it's really a hardware issue. I still suggest testing it with another USB cable to make sure.

Quote:
I know this sounds a little ridiculous, but my room is kept usually around 60-65 F to keep some small home servers running cool. It's definitely not a heat issue. Humidity is at very normal levels. I've tried the USB across 4 different computers so far and the USB just simply refuses to recognize now. I think it's a problem with the actual USB receiver. I took a quick peek inside and nothing is loose or looks out of place.

For the hour or 2 it worked, I absolutely loved this thing. How much does it cost to ship to China for returns? I really hate the buyer paying shipping :|

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #587 of 1,182

Quote:
I received my D100 last night from coolfungadget on eBay, but there are some serious problems with it. The USB randomly drops every 10 minutes. Sometimes while playing an extremely loud hissing starts to play and the usb then also loses signal. While it's doing this, the unit keeps cycling through different sampling rates.

Do I need a replacement? I haven't tried any other inputs yet, but USB was going to be my primary mode anyway. Please help me
frown.gif

I had the same issue with my Anedio D1 DAC using the USB input. For some unknown reason this happens to some users. Try different USB ports and cables. Do you happen to have USB devices connected that eat lots bandwitdh? It might be a specific 'mysterious' combination that's just causing this problem. To me USB for audio is just end of the story. Do not take my word for it 
wink.gif

But I decided to just go with a optical toslink from my laptop and coax from PC. Works like a charm.

Is USB really the only way for you to connect to the D100?

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #588 of 1,182
Another idea is to try the free demo of Jplay (http://jplay.eu/)

I haven't tried it yet but supposedly it makes some adjustments to the way your computer does stuff in the background, to devote more resources to audio playback. I don't yet know if it actually sounds better, but it is certainly worth a try to see if it can isolate your problem. The more I look into it I see that people have had this very problem across a wide range of USB DACs (Audio GD, Burson, Yulong, etc) so it might just be some funky stuff going on with your computer.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #590 of 1,182

Quote:
Another idea is to try the free demo of Jplay (http://jplay.eu/)

I haven't tried it yet but supposedly it makes some adjustments to the way your computer does stuff in the background, to devote more resources to audio playback. I don't yet know if it actually sounds better, but it is certainly worth a try to see if it can isolate your problem. The more I look into it I see that people have had this very problem across a wide range of USB DACs (Audio GD, Burson, Yulong, etc) so it might just be some funky stuff going on with your computer.

Before the Anedio D1 DAC I used a Audio Kontrol 1 audio interface. USB was the only connection possible but it never gave me any trouble. I do have to note it comes with a custom driver. Somehow I feel this USB issue with signal loss is more apprarent with external DACs when they rely on the default USB audio driver in Windows.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #593 of 1,182
Anyone know the address of Yulong's website? It's okay even if it's in Chinese.

edit: I already know http://www.audio-sz.com/ doesn't work, and am also aware of their TaoBao page http://shop33489225.taobao.com/

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #595 of 1,182

Quote:
Anyone know the address of Yulong's website? It's okay even if it's in Chinese.

edit: I already know http://www.audio-sz.com/ doesn't work, and am also aware of their TaoBao page http://shop33489225.taobao.com/

I think the audio-sz site is the one listed on the box of some of my Yulong gear. Or maybe it is in the manual, I can't remember. But it used to work when I checked a few months back. Nothing very exciting - it was more focused on the capabilities of the company as an OEM manufacturer. It showed some pics of their facilities, assembly line workers, etc. I don't recall it listing the actual models that they have available or anything like that. 

I'm not aware of any other site besides that one. The lead designer, or owner, or something.... posts over in the Yulong section at Erji.net. Even with translation, I couldn't get much useful information.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #596 of 1,182
just visited erji with google translate again, and audio-sz.com is right. but it's down for some reason. it wasn't useful at all anyways and I remember reading the yulong guys complaining about the shoddy job by their web designer, heh
I also saw a post from the head designer guy that a new flagship dac and amp are coming out soon, the D18 and A18, and I also see what appears to be a clean looking A/B box in development that might be useful.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #599 of 1,182
From the erji.net translation I gather:

ESS 9018.
AD797 headphone amp stage and BUF634P buffers
Noise floor looks about 10db lower than D100 and better harmonic distortion peaking at the 3rd harmonic at about -114db
THD+N looks like about 0.0003% compared to D100 0.0005%
Using the jitter reduction method built into the ESS dac
Similar I/O to D100 with possibly BNC
A lot of talk about the D18 costing around 3000 yuan but nothing official...

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #600 of 1,182
From the erji.net translation I gather:

ESS 9018.
AD797 headphone amp stage and BUF634P buffers
Noise floor looks about 10db lower than D100 and better harmonic distortion peaking at the 3rd harmonic at about -114db
THD+N looks like about 0.0003% compared to D100 0.0005%
Using the jitter reduction method built into the ESS dac
Similar I/O to D100 with possibly BNC
A lot of talk about the D18 costing around 3000 yuan but nothing official...

Interesting thanks. Errr, as in amp stage no longer class-a transistor-based. Or same design, just AD797 instead of the op chip used in D100? I gather the ESS chip mention of jitter reduction means it'll no longer do ASRC (not really much of a point anyway).
Any mention on the usb chip used and transfer mode it operates in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back