Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Feb 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #436 of 1,182
your laptop is more powerful than mine, that shouldn't be the issue. For the sake of ruling it out can you use one of your other usb ports? Is there a way you can set your music streaming to be a higher priority than other applications?

FWIW I'm using windows 7 (but had no problem with XP) Foobar set to WASAPI at 24bit (SOX resampled->) 96khz buffer length 950ms and I almost never encounter a problem. In my "sound" section of the control panel I have the Yulong Audio Speakers output set to 24bit 96khz, and enabled "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority".

Hopefully there is something there you haven't done that happens to fix this for you.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #437 of 1,182
^^ Thanks for the reply. Your settings are almost exactly the same as mine (with the exception of the buffer length, which was set to 1000ms) when I first tested my D100 - this would always result in the static noise cut off problem with my laptop, always. At 96kHz, the static noise would occur as early as in minutes to at most half an hour. Reducing the buffer length to about 300ms or less would only delay the occurrence of the static noise by another hour or so with the same settings. And yes, I've tried with all my other USB ports and the static noise problem persists. Right now, I'm using the dedicated USB port on the right side of my laptop (the other two are a shared hub). Setting the output format to 44.1kHz in the Windows speaker device as well as disabling any DSPs including resampling seems to have alleviated the static noise problem. However, now I'm experiencing random pops and clicks instead 
confused_face_2.gif
 If my D100 is indeed in healthy working condition, then I suspect the problem may lie in my USB port.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #438 of 1,182
I too experienced problems when I had mine set to >=1000ms.

I guess all that's left is to try it from another computer. Maybe try another usb cable if you have another you can try. I think that'd unlikely be the solution, but you gotta try and rule out everything until all that's reasonably left is the D100, in which case you could try contacting Yulong about it.

Maybe unstable power could cause little stutters?

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #439 of 1,182
I think that's just a problem in general with USB audio, at least on Windows.  I get the same problems on my weak laptop and my more powerful one.  There may just be interrupts causing the skips/glitches.

If you have SPDIF out, try that instead.

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #440 of 1,182

Quote:
I think that's just a problem in general with USB audio, at least on Windows.  I get the same problems on my weak laptop and my more powerful one.  There may just be interrupts causing the skips/glitches.

If you have SPDIF out, try that instead.

Unfortunately, my laptop has no optical nor coaxial digital outputs. Would an add-on interface such as the M2tech HiFace help in situations like this?

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #441 of 1,182
If the problem lies with the computer's USB interface, then it may also have issues with a USB to SPDIF converter. 

That said, someone recently posted this on the Teralink-X2 thread.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250733996082

Most affordable 24/96 USB to SPDIF converter I've seen so far.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #442 of 1,182
Just noticed that my D100 is more prone to pops and clicks during browsing than anything else. Really weird. I could spend hours modeling using a 3D software - which is supposed to be more processor intensive - with hardly any pops. However, should I take a break and do some browsing those pops return with a vengeance. 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #444 of 1,182

Quote:
Just noticed that my D100 is more prone to pops and clicks during browsing than anything else. Really weird. I could spend hours modeling using a 3D software - which is supposed to be more processor intensive - with hardly any pops. However, should I take a break and do some browsing those pops return with a vengeance. 
confused_face_2.gif

I Could almoust garantee you its your Graphics driver that's causing the issue.
Do you have an ATI card?

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #445 of 1,182
Mine's an nVidia 8800M GT. And for my case, the graphics card is no supported by the laptop manufacturer (alienware, and for quite a while too as the "official driver" is really old)  and the latest ones posted on nVidia's website are not compatible with mine (believe me, I've tried). I had to use a "modified" driver (as recommended in a notebook forum) and even then, the highest version that I could use without serious problems is one that is more than a year old (186_82 vs 266_66!!). As such, a graphics card driver update is not a viable solution for me. 
frown.gif
 I've never had such audio problems with my echo Indigo DJx sound card but then, that one uses an expresscard slot so... Anyway, for what it's worth, the D100, even with all of these problems, still sounds far better than my DJx. Instrument separation is superior, bass and treble extensions are greater, everything sounds so much clearer and sharper. It makes my soundcard sound soft and muddy. It's a shame that my laptop, or least my USB connection, is not too fond of it.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #446 of 1,182
Mine's an nVidia 8800M GT. And for my case, the graphics card is no supported by the laptop manufacturer (alienware, and for quite a while too as the "official driver" is really old)  and the latest ones posted on nVidia's website are not compatible with mine (believe me, I've tried). I had to use a "modified" driver (as recommended in a notebook forum) and even then, the highest version that I could use without serious problems is one that is more than a year old (186_82 vs 266_66!!). As such, a graphics card driver update is not a viable solution for me. 
frown.gif
 I've never had such audio problems with my echo Indigo DJx sound card but then, that one uses an expresscard slot so... Anyway, for what it's worth, the D100, even with all of these problems, still sounds far better than my DJx. Instrument separation is superior, bass and treble extensions are greater, everything sounds so much clearer and sharper. It makes my soundcard sound soft and muddy. It's a shame that my laptop, or least my USB connection, is not too fond of it.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml do it.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #447 of 1,182

Quote:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml do it.

Just did some quick latency check - it seems to have a lot to do with the browser - or rather, how it is displayed. There will be spikes whenever I scroll webpages, either with my mouse or my keyboard (and this is only on Head-Fi. I shudder to think what would happen in Flash heavy sites...). I think this may be a graphics card issue as I've done a quick google and found that there are a few others who are also reporting tons of latency spikes (like me) simply from scrolling web pages. Alas, as I've already said earlier, a graphics driver update may no longer be an option for me. Anyway, I'll continue to monitor the latency while doing other stuff to see if there are problems elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

update: I did some listening while scrolling web pages like crazy and sure enough, the audio crackles. Well, at least I know it's no longer a random problem.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #448 of 1,182
Just did some quick latency check - it seems to have a lot to do with the browser - or rather, how it is displayed. There will be spikes whenever I scroll webpages, either with my mouse or my keyboard (and this is only on Head-Fi. I shudder to think what would happen in Flash heavy sites...). I think this may be a graphics card issue as I've done a quick google and found that there are a few others who are also reporting tons of latency spikes (like me) simply from scrolling web pages. Alas, as I've already said earlier, a graphics driver update may no longer be an option for me. Anyway, I'll continue to monitor the latency while doing other stuff to see if there are problems elsewhere. Thanks for the help.

google for DPC spikes and your laptop brand and model and follow the instructions. Sometimes you can get rid of them by disabling devices (in my case the wireless card, the internal sound card and switching to a lan cable)

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #450 of 1,182
One can try the following registry tweak for your Windows 7 sound drop-off problem:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500369/audio-gd-digital-interface/1425#post_7268395

Users who are viewing this thread

Back