Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Jan 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #317 of 1,182
I'm pretty sure this marks the first D100 to be sold on head-fi. No one really cares to let go of these do they? 
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #318 of 1,182
I believe mine is the third D100 that was put up for sale. You know the hang of it, upgrading needs always get to you :wink: I'll be switching to a LCD-2 rig and put some money aside for my drivers license.

Don't get me wrong though, the D100 really is a fantastic and underrated DAC.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #324 of 1,182

Quote:
Do you by any chance have a photo that allows me to compare the size of the cube and the audinst? I was originally planning to get the Yulong for home, and Audinst for transportable use. But if the cube is small enough, i might just get that 1 dac instead of two. Saves me a bunch of money as well.

Sorry, my Audinst is currently on long term loan to another member so I don't have it handy for a comparison pic. I'd say though that the Cube is almost too big, and more importantly too heavy to be lugged around, especially as it can't be powered by USB like the Audinst. So you would need to pack the power cable each time. We all have different limits about what is considered "transportable" but I personally wouldn't place the Cube in that class. Sorry if that ruins your plan to save money....

For a truly portable unit that performs well enough to be used at home, I would look into the Leckerton UHA-6S. Totally underrated around here. It isn't on the level of the D100 but is easily a match for the Audinst and Cube.

Quote:
Hey Project86,

have been reading through a lot of your reviews and have come down to two different builds to be paired with K701 and swan M200MKIII

Yulong D100 or Matrix M Stage + Austinst HUD MX1

listen to all sorts of music Bowie, Tool, Temper traps, Nirvana, Beatles to name a few

cheers, tama

Someone already answered this for you and I agree with them; those Swans speakers, like the K701, are very revealing, and you should be able to appreciate the better DAC. I'd say D100 in that setup would be the better performer.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #325 of 1,182
can someone share some thoughts on the D100 vs Corda Symphony 2?

kinda deciding between the two, however, theres a price difference between the two of course, so which one would be better for value?

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #326 of 1,182
Yay. I will be joining the D100 club shortly. Thanks to ReiserFS for the sale. Sadly I won't be able to post much of an impression... because I don't have any speakers yet! I'll use the headphone amp though lol. Couldn't miss the chance to get this for a great price.

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #328 of 1,182
Right so, forgive me for being a total noob, but to connect this to my Mac Mini I can either use USB or S/PDIF. Presuming the latter should be theoretically better(?), I need to buy a Toslink cable with a 3.5mm adapter right? The shorter the better really since the DAC is either going to sit underneath the Mini or next to it.

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #329 of 1,182

Quote:
Nice!

Do you need a post/power amp to go along with the yulong, though? I was under the impression that the speaker outs are like line-outs without gain control.

I intend to buy active monitors, and the ones I THINK I want (obviously need to audition really!) are Focal CMS 40s or 50s, which have volume controls on the front.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #330 of 1,182
I guess i will pick up an Audinst for transportable purposes, and either a cube or D100 for home use. Thanks!

Quote:
Sorry, my Audinst is currently on long term loan to another member so I don't have it handy for a comparison pic. I'd say though that the Cube is almost too big, and more importantly too heavy to be lugged around, especially as it can't be powered by USB like the Audinst. So you would need to pack the power cable each time. We all have different limits about what is considered "transportable" but I personally wouldn't place the Cube in that class. Sorry if that ruins your plan to save money....

For a truly portable unit that performs well enough to be used at home, I would look into the Leckerton UHA-6S. Totally underrated around here. It isn't on the level of the D100 but is easily a match for the Audinst and Cube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back