Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Dec 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #211 of 1,182
U100 is not really attractive for the price, it's $220. There's Audio-GD solutions that offer more functions for the same price, not to mention that the headphone amplifier output power isn't that impressive by spec on the U100.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #213 of 1,182
Just ordered the D100!  Fills a perfect solid-state amp & DAC niche in my current system.  How come every time I return to Head-Fi after a long absence I end up dropping ~$500 on a new purchase?  Great reviews by project86 & Skylab certainly don't help.  My wallet curses the both of you. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #214 of 1,182
There isn't a lot of output power on the A100 into high impedances, according to the specs. Not a good choice for 600 ohm Beyers.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #215 of 1,182

Quote:
U100 is not really attractive for the price, it's $220. There's Audio-GD solutions that offer more functions for the same price, not to mention that the headphone amplifier output power isn't that impressive by spec on the U100.

I don't necessarily agree. I'll find out more when I hear the thing obviously, but you can't really judge value based on specs alone. I love the sound of the Leckerton UHA-6S for example, and it doesn't have tons of juice. My old iQube put out practically no power yet it sounded great. The USB only factor would certainly be a limitation, but is perfect for some scenarios. So I have hope for the thing but we will see. 

Quote:
There isn't a lot of output power on the A100 into high impedances, according to the specs. Not a good choice for 600 ohm Beyers.

That sort of depends more on the voltage swing though doesn't it? My Luxman P-1u has pretty pathetic specs into 600 ohms but still manages to perform very well. You seem to have more high empedance models than I do though and I admit I'm not totally up to speed on the subject so I could be wrong. I'll be using the A100 mostly with Edition 8, W5000, KH-K1000, and other sealed headphones which happen to be fairly low impedance.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #216 of 1,182
It might work OK, but an amp like that is clearly better at current delivery than voltage swing based on those numbers - so it likely won't be ideal for 600 ohm cans.  Lots of juice for your Ed 8's though!!!

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #217 of 1,182
It might work OK, but an amp like that is clearly better at current delivery than voltage swing based on those numbers - so it likely won't be ideal for 600 ohm cans.  Lots of juice for your Ed 8's though!!!

neither is d100 (130mv @ 300ohm vs 170mw of A100). Plugged joe007's T1 into it, didn't sound good at all or go too loud.

p.s. didn't notice before, but they also have a small amp: http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=172&S_id2=0&s_id=

70mw @ 600 ohm isn't very much. Plus all mfg tend to quote THD+N at local min on the power vs thd+n graph. Many of the graphs I've seen, as power approaches 500-1000mw @ 32 ohm (or the higher impedance equivalent) SS amps start looking very much like tube amps THD+N-wise

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #221 of 1,182
Love to hear a comparison between the D100 and the new Audio-GD NFB-11, which is $275 and uses the new Sabre 32 DAC chip!

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #223 of 1,182
Though I'm extremely happy with my HD650, I kind of feel like trying out a pair of HE-5 that I see posted in Canada on the FS forums. Now, being planar they're notoriously hard to drive well. Do you guys think the D100 should be up to the task? otherwise I think I may not bother with those cans.

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #224 of 1,182

Quote:
Though I'm extremely happy with my HD650, I kind of feel like trying out a pair of HE-5 that I see posted in Canada on the FS forums. Now, being planar they're notoriously hard to drive well. Do you guys think the D100 should be up to the task? otherwise I think I may not bother with those cans.

Sorry, I'm a little behind the times when it comes to the current crop of high end ortho models. I haven't heard the HE5/HE5LE/HE6, nor the Audeze LCD1/LCD2. I'm working on having someone build me a pair based off a highly tweaked Yamaha YH-1 in a Sennheiser frame, but it might be a while before they finish and I'm not sure how relevant it would be compard to the HE5 anyway. Skylab has tried some of those models though, pehaps he could advise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back