Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Oct 31, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #182 of 1,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by svyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to add a bit of fuel to the fire..

Before I opened the D100 box I managed to snap a couple of pics. 

It's worth noting that both my musiland and yulong dacs arrived in similar state boxes and likely yours will too if you get it from Audiophile china (very bad quality boxes - near 0 corner strength and carboard thickness). 

Granted, both Yulong and Musiland have their own boxes + the boxes below had airpocket wrap padding, but the musiland box was quite warped when I took it out. 

p.s. I've now notified the seller that I intend to return this and the musiland

yulong's own box is pretty well secured.

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #183 of 1,182
Haha I got the same box handle made of tape
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #184 of 1,182
Just read your review. Excellent, well written, nice observations, no unnecessary "ooh, I bought this and it's lovely" BS. A detailed review, with nice detailed pics. Obviously, you've taken great pains. Thanks and much appreciated.
Michael.

BTW any comments with low impedance cans, like Grados?

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #185 of 1,182

Quote:
Just read your review. Excellent, well written, nice observations, no unnecessary "ooh, I bought this and it's lovely" BS. A detailed review, with nice detailed pics. Obviously, you've taken great pains. Thanks and much appreciated.
Michael.

BTW any comments with low impedance cans, like Grados?

The weird thing is that there's already one Yulong D100 for sale on the "For Sale / Trade" Forums, for me it's a "Warning" Sign...

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #188 of 1,182
lol, my D100 'fixed itself' by the way. (I left it running for a couple of days, then boxed it and now took it out to compare to the DAC1 that arrived, before returning the D100 for a refund/double check the D100 on another PC (ok on both now)). 

The volume on hp/line is now back to expected levels (low imp jack, about 10 o'clock is very loud for 'modern' music with good signal levels for CD3000). The '1-4k peak, the rest a trough' thing is gone. Now it sounds really nice =\ (and suits my musical preferences better than Benchmark DAC1. D100 seems to have less pronounced highs than DAC1. Guess I prefer the D100 analog section to the DAC1 one. Yay for B'n'Brown?). 

I'm confused and unamused. Now I probably can't send it back, since intermittent problems = may result in me being refused a refund/the unit sent back/me paying for shipping lol.  (and provided it works, it would probably be my preferred DAC/HP amp for now)

By the way, About the 24b/192khz sticker on the box.

I really thought that internally it'll all be ASCRed to 110k regardless of the input SR and input type. Even if your input is 192k via, say coax. 
Now, the review/benchmark do mention that is the case/110k max is for both the stability (AD1896, not AD1955 as the first page says as per http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/feedback/newsletter/2010/07/1/asynchronous-upsampling-110-khz ?) and DAC section performance sweet-spot being 96khz but yea... I guess it accepts 192, but um...yea... 

Btw, according to the DAC1 manual, it seems like most of the anti-jitter benefits on the DAC1 come from the AD1896->AD1853. So it seems D100 will do well there too, since it goes USB->IS via TSA1020B->AD1896 ASRC to 110k->AD1955 (pretty similar to DAC1 there, except the newer AD1955, that seems to have better THD+N, and SNR)

Btw2, it would also seem to imply that like DAC1, D100 does de-emphasis filtering (or rather the DAC chip can do it...)

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD1955.pdf (D100)

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #194 of 1,182
So i have decided to get my first desktop amp/dac to pair with my computer and gaming consoles. I have been reading allot of different setups and devices and at first i was thinking of getting a combination of Cambridge DacMagic and Matrix M-Stage but after reading this excellent review i think D100 suits me better. But i still have one question:
Have anyone heard and compared D100 to Nuforce Icon HDP?

They are similar priced and both seems to be primary a DAC with a good headphone amp, they have similar functions and inputs the difference seems to be that D100 has Balanced out while the Icon HDP can function as a Pre-amp. Though i still haven't really figured out what pre-amping does and what it's good for.

My plan is to get either of those two and use it as a Dac+Headphone Amp and have a pair of active speakers connected to it aswell. Then maybe later i get a Tube Amp so i get to hear what this "Tube-sound" which people are talking about is.

Must decide soon, this is damn hard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back