REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Jun 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,336 of 1,613
  The thing is I am not sure yet whether what causes the problem. Still waiting for Yulong's response. If it's the Amanero chip's which is faulty, it might be cheaper to replace it myself. Paying UK customs for the second time (~£200-300 or $350-500) is not what I really want..

Just wondering if Yulong ever responded and sorted the issue?

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,337 of 1,613
 I had the same impressions at first with my DA8 right out of the box. I can tell it improves with burn in. I experienced this twice as mine have been replaced by Yulong under warranty. You can expect a long burn in.

Yep. Mine's got a few hundred hours on it and sounds full and rich now but it sounded quite hard for the first 20 hours or so then eased up further over the next 100-200. It wasn't a brain change either - I'd left it running into a preamp with the volume turned down for for a couple of days and the difference was night and day.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,338 of 1,613

I'd left it running into a preamp with the volume turned down for a couple of days and the difference was night and day.

You should have let yours turned on for a couple of nights. The difference would have been day and night...
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
L3000.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #1,339 of 1,613
I am hoping this will be the end game for me,makes a nice looking stack,now I just have to wait to see if the sound lives up to my expectations.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,340 of 1,613
  I am hoping this will be the end game for me,makes a nice looking stack,now I just have to wait to see if the sound lives up to my expectations.

Hello!
I am very very interested in your comment since I have a tweaked Yulong DA8. How is it (the HE-560?) with a dedicated headphones amp (A28) and without (DA8 alone)? Telle me, please...
Best regards.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,341 of 1,613
At this stage I can't really comment or recommend anything till it's fully burned in.There is some info regarding that information in this thread.....sorry that's all I got for now.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,342 of 1,613
I have let the DA8 run for 125hrs now so I think I can assume any more changes from here will be subtle.Overall I am pleased with the sound,nice detail and clarity but still smooth sounding,a nice upgrade from the D18.I did a little comparing of the internal amp vs the A28 and I was expecting a bigger gap in sound,the internal amp surprised me how it can hang with the A28.Overall the A28 was a slight bit more open and cleaner sounding,but as stated earlier in here the internal amp is pretty darn good.

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,343 of 1,613
  I have let the DA8 run for 125hrs now so I think I can assume any more changes from here will be subtle.Overall I am pleased with the sound,nice detail and clarity but still smooth sounding,a nice upgrade from the D18.I did a little comparing of the internal amp vs the A28 and I was expecting a bigger gap in sound,the internal amp surprised me how it can hang with the A28.Overall the A28 was a slight bit more open and cleaner sounding,but as stated earlier in here the internal amp is pretty darn good.

I think you will notice more than a subtle improvement after some more hundreds hours, at least concerning the internal amp. I use the internal amp only, so I cannot tell about improvements for the other outputs. Using the internal amp I noticed a more engaging, enjoyable and punchy sound after more than 200 or 300 hours. I guess the A28 will improve as well with burn in and the gap between the DA8 internal amp and the A28 will become bigger. I use the DA8 with my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's. They are not as revealing as your Audeze's. You should notice even more changes.

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,344 of 1,613
I plan on letting it burn for 200hrs,then I will put a stop to that process and use it as I go.I really enjoy turning out the lights sitting back and floating away in the music,I will be a happy camper!!

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,346 of 1,613
  What are you guys doing to burn for that long? Can you please explain the process to this newcomer?

I did not do anything special. I left it playing music overnight for a few days. I use it every night while using my computer at home. I noticed a sound improvement after some time and it seems keep improving for a long time. In my case I think I use it about 100 hours per month.
My second unit arrived in mid April. Including the first days of overnight playing, I think I ran it for about 200 hours.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #1,347 of 1,613
  Filter Mode: Sharp and Slow:
Sharp has a "brickwall" drop right around the Nyquist frequency. It's FR is flat until that brickwall. Moderate amounts of pre and post ringing.
Slow has an earlier drop off in the high frequencies, like a slope, starting around ~15khz but i could be mistaken. Significantly less pre and post ringing. Warmer sound too.

Does anyone know where this information came from or if it's correct? Sharp doesn't seem flat to me but I'd like to find out I'm wrong.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #1,348 of 1,613
Does anyone think that using the DA8 to the bottlehead crack and HD600s would be too dark sounding? Or would the x-sabre be a better pairing? I recently purchased an Emotiva DC-1 and returned it (it sounded great but there was an issue with a noise it was making) but on some tracks (especially using fidelify) I was left wanting more treble extension.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,350 of 1,613
I believe the x-sabre is darker sounding than the DA8.

Not usually. Depends on the gear being used, but I tend to find the X-Sabre has a more exciting, lively top end, while the DA8 is smoother and more organic sounding. But with certain amps/headphones they may act differently. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back