REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Mar 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,234 of 1,613
Hooked up my active monitors via XLR but still have the emotiva mini connected through RCA. Is there a convenient way to switch off between the 2?

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #1,235 of 1,613
Just to add a bit more info, I have the Maudio DSM3 active monitors. They are a few years old and buggy. For example, one of them doesn't turn back on properly. Hard to get it to reboot but once its on it plays fine.

So I'm trying to see if there is an option that will allow me to switch while leaving the active monitors on.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,236 of 1,613
Seems like active studio monitors are quite popular these days. I purchased a pair of Event Opals myself 2 days ago. It made me cry

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #1,238 of 1,613
No way since Yulong DA8 is a true symetric DAC...
wink_face.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #1,239 of 1,613
  It could be an option (although I do not use the AD section)

Just joking:  one way to use Hilo's AD section is to use Hilo as a headphone amp:    Use the touchscreen GUI to route line-in to ADC, then route DAC to headphone out,    you get a heaphone amp.
I have not tried this setup, but in theory the result could be pretty good,   given Hilo's reputation of very transparent ADC and DAC, and great internal headphone amp.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #1,240 of 1,613
Hi guys...

Interested in getting the yulong da8. One quick question, are there any noise when using usb directly connected to the pc? I read that the own has its own internal power, but required a special cable?

Thanks

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #1,241 of 1,613
Hi guys...

Interested in getting the yulong da8. One quick question, are there any noise when using usb directly connected to the pc? I read that the own has its own internal power, but required a special cable?

Thanks

Hi,

As long as the source material is clean the USB input has been absolutly clean and perfect on my DA8. Have been experimenting with homemade USB cables and have to say that I would probably have a hard time picking out one cable over another cable. If there is any difference I would say it is in the lower frequencies. The cables that I have made I left pins 1 and 4 disconnected. I don't think this should make any difference. There is no load connected to 1 and 4, because the USB input is using a different power supply. No current flow = no influence from the source power supply. 

Steve

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,242 of 1,613
Thanks Steve,

Good to know.. I've been having problem with some cheaper USB DAC with quite audible noise, especially pairing with sensitive headphones.  Thought I bite the bullet and get a good DAC then stop worry about noise and upgrade for sometime, and enjoy the music :).  Look like I'll put in the order for one silver DA8 soon.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,243 of 1,613
+1 aside from not having noise, the blackness of background is remarkable. The internal supplied power to USB sounds very clean and high quality and gives the impressions it could be powered from low noise LIPO battery like the AUdiophilleo 2 and PurePower I used to have. It's really quite remarkable for an on board solution.

Hi,

As long as the source material is clean the USB input has been absolutly clean and perfect on my DA8. Have been experimenting with homemade USB cables and have to say that I would probably have a hard time picking out one cable over another cable. If there is any difference I would say it is in the lower frequencies. The cables that I have made I left pins 1 and 4 disconnected. I don't think this should make any difference. There is no load connected to 1 and 4, because the USB input is using a different power supply. No current flow = no influence from the source power supply. 

Steve

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,245 of 1,613
No, the pre-outs are on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back