REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Feb 26, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,186 of 1,613
  OK. Well, welcome to club!
beerchug.gif

I'm sure Grant Fidelity will take care of you promptly. Never heard of anyone with screen issues before, but there's always a first for everything.

Hope I'll stay in this club (Hugo...) 
biggrin.gif

I'm torn between the NFB-27 or the Master-9 to replace my SA-2.
In either case, we would have a very similar setup for the HE-6 
cool.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #1,187 of 1,613
  Hope I'll stay in this club (Hugo...) 
biggrin.gif

I'm torn between the NFB-27 or the Master-9 to replace my SA-2.
In either case, we would have a very similar setup for the HE-6 
cool.gif

I'd wager for the Master-9, it's the preamp doing alot of the magic in that box, which is a baby version of my Master-1 
biggrin.gif

Still withholding my initial impressions of it, but needless to say it's very positive.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,188 of 1,613
  I'd wager for the Master-9, it's the preamp doing alot of the magic in that box, which is a baby version of my Master-1 
biggrin.gif

Still withholding my initial impressions of it, but needless to say it's very positive.

The NFB-27 also has a baby Master-1 in it. The line input stage is less sophisticated (probably the single ended conversion is a trimmed version of the M1) but it should be quite similar.

The output stage - in general - is what make the Audio-GD DACs sound different (BIG) than the typical neutral DACs on the market. Really really good stuff.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,189 of 1,613

The NFB-27 also has a baby Master-1 in it. The line input stage is less sophisticated (probably the single ended conversion is a trimmed version of the M1) but it should be quite similar.

The output stage - in general - is what make the Audio-GD DACs sound different (BIG) than the typical neutral DACs on the market. Really really good stuff.

Yeah, knowing how Kingwa comes out with new gear like I go through coffee 
tongue.gif
, and seeing how he has only been able to make minor changes to the M-1 since 2011 tells you it's a damn good thing! I'm sure you would be pleased either way. I was interested in the M7 DAC for a while, but I am holding for him to create the newest version, along with keeping my eye on the Yggy and anything that might pop into thin air before making that purchase. I still have reservations for spending that much cash on a DAC though since they are still improving at a ridiculous rate.
We'll see...

Plus the DA8 is no slouch either! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,190 of 1,613
Almost fixed the issue with the screen.

Grant fidelity allowed me to open the unit to check for a loose connection. I found none but I unplugged and re-plugged the white cable that links the main board to the front panel.
It solved the issue for some times, until I pressed the screen (lightly) with my thumb and it switched back to volume bar only.

I could see what setup I was using though: "slow" filter (bingo); Jitter ON; Phase + (of course).

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,191 of 1,613
  Almost fixed the issue with the screen.

Grant fidelity allowed me to open the unit to check for a loose connection. I found none but I unplugged and re-plugged the white cable that links the main board to the front panel.
It solved the issue for some times, until I pressed the screen (lightly) with my thumb and it switched back to volume bar only.

I could see what setup I was using though: "slow" filter (bingo); Jitter ON; Phase + (of course).

Yeah that slow filter is a seductive little sucker 
wink_face.gif
 I like the sound better with jitter eliminator off though, YMMV.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,193 of 1,613
I can actually do a blind (lol) test and see if I can hear any difference with the Jitter ON or OFF (but I won't be able to tell which one, doh!).

Well that makes it perfect then, just open your eyes after you determined your favorite. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,196 of 1,613
  So among all the high end  amp and dac 
 Alo  studio six 
 MSB DAC IV
 wavelengthaudio
empirical overdrive  se
more ....?
do one  have a pick for one as THE ONE ?

Unfortunately, there will never be 'the one', as at that level system synergy plays a more significant role. I'd recommend you demo them if you can, and keep the one which pleases you most.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,197 of 1,613
Hi guys,

I got my unit yesterday and was able to listen to it quite a bit, in three words, I love it.
There is one thing bugging me though, especially with my Denons d7000, there is a bit of noise in the background.
This noise sounds "pulsive" like a ticking noise I was not used to from lets say my PC out.

Project86 said he had experienced something similar with IE headphones, I wonder if it is the same, but I cant try it because I don't have an adapter.
Has anyone else experienced this and can this be minimized in any reasonable way?

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,198 of 1,613
I haven't experienced that at all. Mine has been dead silent using my Hifiman HE-400, JH Audio JH5 custom IEM, and Sennheiser HD 650. Glad you like it but sorry to hear about the noise your getting. Not sure what it is.

Hi guys,

I got my unit yesterday and was able to listen to it quite a bit, in three words, I love it.
There is one thing bugging me though, especially with my Denons d7000, there is a bit of noise in the background.
This noise sounds "pulsive" like a ticking noise I was not used to from lets say my PC out.

Project86 said he had experienced something similar with IE headphones, I wonder if it is the same, but I cant try it because I don't have an adapter.
Has anyone else experienced this and can this be minimized in any reasonable way?

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,199 of 1,613
  Hi guys,

It could be some kind of noise travelling on the lines. Does it make this sound with USB cable unplugged? Try and cover USB pins 1&4 with electrical tape, or a wall outlet on the other side of the house and see if it goes away. Do you have dimmer switches in your house? If so, turn them completely off and see if it goes away too.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,200 of 1,613
  It could be some kind of noise travelling on the lines. Does it make this sound with USB cable unplugged? Try and cover USB pins 1&4 with electrical tape, or a wall outlet on the other side of the house and see if it goes away. Do you have dimmer switches in your house? If so, turn them completely off and see if it goes away too.

I wanted to ask about that same thing. Taking out pin 4 will not completely isolate ground, there is the shielding as well.  Computer side the shielding is grounded, mine is anyways.
Is this shielding grounded in DA8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back