REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Feb 22, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #1,142 of 1,613
  I am using JRiver, Yulong Asio and converting to 256.  Can't see any option to convert to 512.  No issues here at 256

yeah, foobar has no issue at dsd256/dsd128 for me. just tried jrivier and it maxes out at 2xdsd (which is actually only dsd128 i think), and no issues there either. foobar2k dsd512 causes artifacts in the right channel though. not really a problem for me as i dont think theres any content for dsd512 anyway, but i am hoping that it is not a hardware issue, and that its foobar's problem

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #1,143 of 1,613
Yes, 2 X DSD is 128.  Not 256 like I stated in my first post.  I have yet to see any 512 files.  Playing a native 512 DSD file would be the best test.  I wouldn't worry about anything at this point.  

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,146 of 1,613
  You could update your asio proxy to 0.66 to get DSD512 option under 'PCM to DSD method'

If I even partially understood what that meant, I might try it,  Lol. Anyways, not really interested.  I am content with what I am getting with current capabilities and settings.  Thanks anyway for the suggestion/help.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,149 of 1,613
I am in the market for my first set up. I have the Sennhesier hd650 on order. Would the DA8 be a good amp/dac combo pairing for the 650s? Buying from China scares the crap out of me but the DA8 had some of the best reviews in the $1000 price range. I seen the NuForce DAC100 on sale, is the DA8 worth the $600 price difference?

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,150 of 1,613
  I am in the market for my first set up. I have the Sennhesier hd650 on order. Would the DA8 be a good amp/dac combo pairing for the 650s? Buying from China scares the crap out of me but the DA8 had some of the best reviews in the $1000 price range. I seen the NuForce DAC100 on sale, is the DA8 worth the $600 price difference?

DA8 sounds good with HD650 - a little on the darker/warmer side, which may or may not be your cup of tea, but for most people it will be very nice. 

I'd make sure to order from a reputable seller. Grant Fidelity is a good one, for example, assuming you live in North America. Don't just buy from any random website because not all of them are authorized dealers. It's worth paying a little more to make sure your seller will support you. 

NuForce DAC-100 is a very nice DAC. It may actually do better with HD650 than the DA8 will, depending on your preferences. It will definitely be more exciting on the top end, rather than smooth like the Yulong. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,151 of 1,613
I actually have the Nuforce DAC100 and the DA8 in house right now along with my HD 650 so I am very familiar with both pairings. I think the Nuforce DAC 100 is without question the better integrated amp combination with the HD 650 and it isnt very close in my opinion. It has much more power delivery at 500 mw + at the 300 ohm impedance the HD 650 has. It was designed specifically for higher impedance headphones like Sennheiser and Beyerdynamics. It drives the HD 650 really well towards its full potential and that is saying alot since I had a Woo Audio WA22 with best tubes ($2,500 with tubes) for it for well over a year with HD 650.

In contrast the DA8 only delivers 170 mw to the HD 650. To put that in perspective, that is around the level of power the older and much cheaper Nuforce HDP delivers to the HD 650, which I used to own as well. In my opinion, that just isn't enough to be considered optimum with the HD 650. With the DA8 amp, I find it to sound a lilt dull and lifeless in comparison, although its still very clean and précise sounding due to DA8 being an outstanding DAC.

That being said, I would have to say that i prefer the DA8s DAC section to the DAC 100 although the latter is still around that level of performance. I think the DA8s amazing USB section is what really makes it phenomenal. If your using computer as your main source that tilts in favor of the DA8.

If I were you and I was looking to base a combo of gear for that price range around the HD 650 and couldn't afford a separate high quality amp, I would honestly steer clear the DA8 for that specific purpose. It's amp just doesn't pair well enough for that in my opinion. You would be much better off with the still stellar Yulong Sabre D18 and a dedicated amp like Nuforce UDH 100, Yulong A28, or the DAC 100 combo. I think Project86 nailed it with his description of how special the DAC 100s integrated amp can be as a all in one value with high impedance cans like HD 650. Also, in his review of the DA8 he points out low impedance cans as the ones that sound better with it.

Just to be clear, I think the Yulong DA8 amp is phenomenal. It's just clearly more optimized for low impedance cans like orthodynamics. As I posted in here just a couple of days ago. It really sings with the Hifiman HE 400. So it's really just a matter of what headphone will be your main tool. DA8 can't be beat as an all in one DAC/amp combo with low impedance cans while Nuforce DAC 100 can't be beat as an all in one DAC/amp combo with hi impedance cans.

I interpreted Project86s reviews of both products that way and that is certainly what I found to be the case. In my case, I will be keeping the DA8 and HE 400 and most likely getting rid off the DAC 100 and HD 650. Primarily, because computer is my only source so the better USB is the clear differentiator for my needs.

DA8 sounds good with HD650 - a little on the darker/warmer side, which may or may not be your cup of tea, but for most people it will be very nice. 

I'd make sure to order from a reputable seller. Grant Fidelity is a good one, for example, assuming you live in North America. Don't just buy from any random website because not all of them are authorized dealers. It's worth paying a little more to make sure your seller will support you. 

NuForce DAC-100 is a very nice DAC. It may actually do better with HD650 than the DA8 will, depending on your preferences. It will definitely be more exciting on the top end, rather than smooth like the Yulong. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,152 of 1,613
^ Well said. I agree with you that the DA8's internal amp is much better suited towards 32-100 ohms headphones than 300-600 ohms headphones.

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,153 of 1,613
I actually have the Nuforce DAC100 and the DA8 in house right now along with my HD 650 so I am very familiar with both pairings. I think the Nuforce DAC 100 is without question the better integrated amp combination with the HD 650 and it isnt very close in my opinion. It has much more power delivery at 500 mw + at the 300 ohm impedance the HD 650 has. It was designed specifically for higher impedance headphones like Sennheiser and Beyerdynamics. It drives the HD 650 really well towards its full potential and that is saying alot since I had a Woo Audio WA22 with best tubes ($2,500 with tubes) for it for well over a year with HD 650.

In contrast the DA8 only delivers 170 mw to the HD 650. To put that in perspective, that is around the level of power the older and much cheaper Nuforce HDP delivers to the HD 650, which I used to own as well. In my opinion, that just isn't enough to be considered optimum with the HD 650. With the DA8 amp, I find it to sound a lilt dull and lifeless in comparison, although its still very clean and précise sounding due to DA8 being an outstanding DAC.

That being said, I would have to say that i prefer the DA8s DAC section to the DAC 100 although the latter is still around that level of performance. I think the DA8s amazing USB section is what really makes it phenomenal. If your using computer as your main source that tilts in favor of the DA8.

If I were you and I was looking to base a combo of gear for that price range around the HD 650 and couldn't afford a separate high quality amp, I would honestly steer clear the DA8 for that specific purpose. It's amp just doesn't pair well enough for that in my opinion. You would be much better off with the still stellar Yulong Sabre D18 and a dedicated amp like Nuforce UDH 100, Yulong A28, or the DAC 100 combo. I think Project86 nailed it with his description of how special the DAC 100s integrated amp can be as a all in one value with high impedance cans like HD 650. Also, in his review of the DA8 he points out low impedance cans as the ones that sound better with it.

Just to be clear, I think the Yulong DA8 amp is phenomenal. It's just clearly more optimized for low impedance cans like orthodynamics. As I posted in here just a couple of days ago. It really sings with the Hifiman HE 400. So it's really just a matter of what headphone will be your main tool. DA8 can't be beat as an all in one DAC/amp combo with low impedance cans while Nuforce DAC 100 can't be beat as an all in one DAC/amp combo with hi impedance cans.

I interpreted Project86s reviews of both products that way and that is certainly what I found to be the case. In my case, I will be keeping the DA8 and HE 400 and most likely getting rid off the DAC 100 and HD 650. Primarily, because computer is my only source so the better USB is the clear differentiator for my needs.

Makes sense. My computer will be my main source. Is there Tube or SS amp you would recommend in the $400 to $600 range to go with the D18?

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #1,154 of 1,613

Makes sense. My computer will be my main source. Is there Tube or SS amp you would recommend in the $400 to $600 range to go with the D18?

You could go with the D18 but you have to remember that it doesn't have a usb port so if you want to be use usb you will need a usb to spdif converter like a hiface.  For an amp I think that that a bottlehead crack will be your best option.  It is a fantastic amp and you can change the sound signature a bit by tube rolling it. The only problem would be that it is a DIY amp but for %600 you can always get someone to build it for you.  But I highly suggest building it yourself.  The instructions are super easy to follow and it is a lot of fun.  

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,155 of 1,613
Zashoomin brings up a good point that D18 doesn't have USB so it won't work unless you already have a USB to SPDIF converter, which are pretty expensive. The cheapest decent ones like Musical Fidelity Vlink 192 usually start around $250 with good ones like Audiophilleo 2 costing upward of $600.

Your best bet for the price range is probably a used DAC 100 or a new Nuforce UDH 100 which seems to be the same DAC and Amp as the Nuforce DAC 100 but without all of the extra inputs and outputs etc. both have pretty good USB sections which shouldn't hold you back too much. Here is an amazon link for the cheaper UDH 100.
http://www.amazon.com/Nuforce-UDH-100-SILVER-Class-A-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00ADX98FC

I have always liked tubes quite a bit with HD 650 but in my experience they usually require higher end tubes to really be worthwhile which can get out of your price range pretty quick. I never heard the Crack with my HD 650 but it is certainly popular. A Woo Audio 6 would be a good tube amp and Woo Audio WA6SE would be awesome.

I think having enough output power and good synergy is more important than tube vs solid state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back