REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Feb 16, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #1,096 of 1,613
That is what I was missing. Now it's playing DSD perfect- thanks!

I believe you mean "double click on foo_DSD_asio". You have to install the ASIO proxy. It is included with foo_input_sacd-0.6.5 package. Just run ASIOProxyInstall-0.6.5.exe.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #1,097 of 1,613
Thank you Elder I was also having the same problem.  Never really found it to be an issue because I don't have and DSD files but this makes my life so much more simple and I don't have to worry about it anymore.  

beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,098 of 1,613
I downloaded a free album of live acoustic performances in DSD format from blue coast records called California Audio Show 2012. You just have to register a username name and password. There were more free DSD performances available. I just listened to them for the first time last night, and would recommend checking them out. They are very high quality recordings.

Thank you Elder I was also having the same problem.  Never really found it to be an issue because I don't have and DSD files but this makes my life so much more simple and I don't have to worry about it anymore.  

:beerchug:

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,099 of 1,613

I had the same problem as you just following the Yulong's tutorial. For some time I was not using Foobar in DSD. I did not mind much as I use JRiver Media Center as the main player. Someday I decided to dig a little deeper to figure how to make Foobar work with DSD. I do not remember how I figured this out. I think I just found out that I had to install the proxy reading the readme.txt file. Anyway, Yulong should review their tutorial to include a note about installing the proxy.

I recommend you to try and buy JRiver. It is an excellent player and worth the price. You paid US$1300 for the DAC. 50 extra bucks will not hurt.

You can use the ASIO proxy's ability to upsample PCM to DSD but JRiver seems to do a better job. Anyway you have to try the PCM to DSD conversion and chose the version (PCM or DSD) you like more. I like the smoothness of the converted version but I still like better the original not upsampled version. I know the DAC will eventually do some internal conversion to some sort of bit streaming internally (Delta Sigma Modulation) but the SABRE chip does it very well.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,100 of 1,613

I had the same problem as you just following the Yulong's tutorial. For some time I was not using Foobar in DSD. I did not mind much as I use JRiver Media Center as the main player. Someday I decided to dig a little deeper to figure how to make Foobar work with DSD. I do not remember how I figured this out. I think I just found out that I had to install the proxy reading the readme.txt file. Anyway, Yulong should review their tutorial to include a note about installing the proxy.

I recommend you to try and buy JRiver. It is an excellent player and worth the price. You paid US$1300 for the DAC. 50 extra bucks will not hurt.

You can use the ASIO proxy's ability to upsample PCM to DSD but JRiver seems to do a better job. Anyway you have to try the PCM to DSD conversion and chose the version (PCM or DSD) you like more. I like the smoothness of the converted version but I still like better the original not upsampled version. I know the DAC will eventually do some internal conversion to some sort of bit streaming internally (Delta Sigma Modulation) but the SABRE chip does it very well.

Second on JRiver recommendations, was always foobar2000 advocate myself but trying it out recently was shocked by how much value you are getting out of it. Besides hassle free ability to play all formats, including DSD, w/o need to sift through internet for right components, it's a great streaming, media server and video player, including BD (you'll need free Lite DVDFab Passkey). 

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #1,101 of 1,613
Thanks for the insight on JRiver. I have been totally happy with Foobar as well but will take a look at JRiver soon and read up on it more.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,103 of 1,613
  Which is better, Yulong Sabre DA8, NAD M-51 or Metrum Acoustics Octave Mk2 ?
Prefer the USB input.

the only comparison with all three of these dacs i've seen is gary's, which is here http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison/1170#post_10141530

in his system to his ears, basically the da8 on sharp filter sounds the same as the m51, while the da8 on slow filter sounds more like the metrum. all 3 are great dacs im sure, though i have heard the m51's usb implementation is not the best

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,104 of 1,613
Does the measurements in the first page include the amplifier or only the DAC?
If not, where can I find measurements of the final output?

Thanks in advance :)

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #1,106 of 1,613
Hi All,

not sure this is the proper thread 
wink.gif

I have a problem with the optical input port (Toslink) paired with an Airport Express.

I am experiencing massive drop-outs, i.e. signal loss which results in a intermittant loss of sound. I have checked the WIFI network and all is ok. Video streams etc. have not interrupts. I have put my backup DAC in place of the DA8 without any problem. So my conclusion is that the DA8 is somehow more picky about the optical signal it receives.

I know that the optical port is not the best port to use sound-wise but it is practical in some situations when I just want to listen to some background music.

Has anybody had this issue ?

Thank's all

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,107 of 1,613
  Hi All,

not sure this is the proper thread 
wink.gif

I have a problem with the optical input port (Toslink) paired with an Airport Express.

I am experiencing massive drop-outs, i.e. signal loss which results in a intermittant loss of sound. I have checked the WIFI network and all is ok. Video streams etc. have not interrupts. I have put my backup DAC in place of the DA8 without any problem. So my conclusion is that the DA8 is somehow more picky about the optical signal it receives.

I know that the optical port is not the best port to use sound-wise but it is practical in some situations when I just want to listen to some background music.

Has anybody had this issue ?

Thank's all

Did you play with the jitter eliminator option? Try both modes and see if one works better than the other. The DA8 should be better at handling low quality data streams, compared to the D18 which was apparently very picky. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,108 of 1,613
  I think the measurements are just for the DAC portion. Not sure if Yulong provides amp measurements. Not that I've ever seen anyway. 

I sent them email. I hope someone will reply soon, so we will have an answer (and proper measurements if required).

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,110 of 1,613
  @ project86

yep I did try with jitter correction on / off = same result

have also used two different cables.. and two different Airports

blink.gif

I don't know what player you use, but try and increase the buffer size by a fair amount. You'll get some minor lag when seeking tracks and stuff, but it would likely solve your problem. If not, then I would use something besides the airport if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back