REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,067 of 1,613

Not that I've heard of. Sounds like maybe a problem with his Mac - they aren't foolproof, despite having way less (usually driver related) USB DAC issues. 

I believe if the DAC was malfunctioning it would not play DSD either.  I say Mac drivers or the computer is likely to blame here.

Not necessarily, they are processed slightly differently.
It could also be the case of DA8 not switching between formats properly. Try cold reboot it and feed PCM before trying any DSD. Of course there are also also player settings that could be a problem as well, like 5 channel DSD or some other improper encoding. Hard to tell anything reliably with such little info at hand.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,068 of 1,613
I just received a silver Yulong DA8 and just love it. I replaced an Emotiva DC1 and immediately heard the difference.
My Burson Soloist sounds like a new amp. I honestly was skeptical that I would hear a difference. Ashamed to say it was mostly cosmetic reasons that I purchased it. Just didn't like that black emotiva next to my silver Soloist.:p

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,069 of 1,613
  So, you seem to prefer Yulong DA8 to Mytek, don't you? with hindsight, what do you like in DA8 over Mytek (in XLR)?
popcorn.gif

Here m2c (use google translate 
wink.gif
 )

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #1,073 of 1,613
Feb 12, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,074 of 1,613
Local seller is offering Wyred W4S DAC-2 for 1100$, If I buy...planning to use it as preamp and DAC for poweramp driving HE-6.

Question is how this yulong DA8, both has good reviews...I am basically looking for DAC with good preamp. 

Please suggest.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,075 of 1,613
  Local seller is offering Wyred W4S DAC-2 for 1100$, If I buy...planning to use it as preamp and DAC for poweramp driving HE-6.

Question is how this yulong DA8, both has good reviews...I am basically looking for DAC with good preamp. 

Please suggest.

I don't have first-hand experience with the W4S DAC-2, but they both are certainly comparable. I really like the DA8 paired with my HE-6 rig if that gives you some comfort.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,076 of 1,613

Please suggest.

I don't have first-hand experience with the W4S DAC-2, but they both are certainly comparable. I really like the DA8 paired with my HE-6 rig if that gives you some comfort.

are you using additional peramp with DA8?  

preamp section on DA8 is good enough to be used directly with power amp, or I need to buy an additional preamp?

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,077 of 1,613

preamp section on DA8 is good enough to be used directly with power amp, or I need to buy an additional preamp?

I switch between both the DA8 as pre, and a dedicated pre. If you want the best, a dedicated preamp is the way to go, but the DA8 is no slouch either. What is your power amplifier's input impedance?

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,078 of 1,613

I switch between both the DA8 as pre, and a dedicated pre. If you want the best, a dedicated preamp is the way to go, but the DA8 is no slouch either. What is your power amplifier's input impedance?

UPA-200, it has Input Impedance: 47 kOhms

also can you please suggest good preamp

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,079 of 1,613

UPA-200, it has Input Impedance: 47 kOhms

also can you please suggest good preamp

OK, yeah the DA8 can handle that no problem. If you use interconnects 1 meter or less in length, your system is passive preamp compatible. I can highly recommend the Tortuga Audio LDR3x for a passive preamp. If going balanced, or using interconnects over a meter long, then I can highly recommend the Audio-GD Master 1 preamp :) If an amp is less than 47kOhms, then an active will do better, but you qualify for a passive one in that department.

Tip: A passive pre will always be better when the system is compliant, otherwise an active pre is the way to go.

Best,
Brunk

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #1,080 of 1,613
I have the Matrix M-stage amp (Opa627 mod) with Sennheiser HD 650. Matrix M-stage is better or worse built in DA8?
I have a choice between Matrix X-Sabre with M-stage (opa627 mod) or Yulong DA8 with the integrated amp. Whether will be able built in in the DA8 amplifier well to work with earphones of 300 ohms, in comparison with Matrix M-stage? Excuse for my English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back