REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Jan 18, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #961 of 1,613
  TNX 
smile.gif

I've just covered with tape the USB pins (5V & ground) on the Monoprice I'm using now.
The DA8 has now 100 hours (it plays all the night).

Hello Esprit,
on CD records (I mean 44.1KHz tracks and until included 96KHz tracks), try Optical input (Toslink). You could be astonished...
wink_face.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #962 of 1,613
  To the Mac users: in Audio MIDI setup I can change the sample rate but I cannot change the volume.
Is it correct?
To all: on the DA8 display I read DSD, when I'm playing DSD files, but not the sample rate (64 or 128).
Same question as above...

It displays the actual rate only for PCM, for whatever reason DSD is always just a DSD.
Do you use Jitter Eliminator, what filter Sharp or Slow, just curious.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #964 of 1,613
I emailed Grant Fidelity, asking whether the DA8 should be left on at all times for best performance.  They do not recommend leaving it on all the time, and said the DAC only need 30 minutes to warm up.  Thought I should share this info.  Screenshot of email below.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #965 of 1,613
  TNX 
smile.gif

I've just covered with tape the USB pins (5V & ground) on the Monoprice I'm using now.
It's hard to belive for me but I think, it seems to me, IMHO, etc, etc... that the DA8 is a better DAC (in my system, with my ears, etc, etc...) than the Mytek (I still have...)

I definitely think the DA8 is better than the Mytek (of course, ymmv, imho, etc). 

I emailed Grant Fidelity, asking whether the DA8 should be left on at all times for best performance.  They do not recommend leaving it on all the time, and said the DAC only need 30 minutes to warm up.  Thought I should share this info.  Screenshot of email below.

That's just a general recommendation - nothing wrong with leaving it on for a while when you need to, especially for burn-in. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #966 of 1,613

I definitely think the DA8 is better than the Mytek (of course, ymmv, imho, etc). 

That's just a general recommendation - nothing wrong with leaving it on for a while when you need to, especially for burn-in. 
I left my DA8 on for 8 days at one time to be honest.

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #968 of 1,613
My DA8, listened to through my "stupid deaf ears", plays different with USB cable with 5V.
I've decided to have two cable (DIY) one with 5V, the other without, and change the USB cable based on the sound I want to get...

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #969 of 1,613
Currently Running a Wireworld Ultraviolet USB to my DA8.
Have not cut off the 5v pins, (Yet)..
If i put electrical tape strips on the pins, will it hold up? does it get dislodged easily?

Along the same lines, what "audiophile" usb cables are available with the 5volt pins cut? if any?

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #970 of 1,613
I covered up pins 1 and 4 (the two pins on the ends) with 2 strips of electrical tape but I can't choose the DA8 wasapi usb output under device on foobar for some reason. I am using win8.1. How do you guys get it to work? Thanks.

all the best.

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #971 of 1,613
  TNX 
smile.gif

It's hard to belive for me but I think, it seems to me, IMHO, etc, etc... that the DA8 is a better DAC (in my system, with my ears, etc, etc...) than the Mytek (I still have...)

ah ha!
So you're almost convinced now that the DA8 is a better than the Mytek!

You're not going back, I told you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back