REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Jan 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #886 of 1,613
  Or after the Emotiva, you will just be very happy and save yourself a lot of $.  Personally, I am not looking for any more amp for my HE500.
I might try the quickie and another preamp in front of the Emotiva to refine it just a touch more though.

Very true, objectively, I will refrain from the urge to upgrade as long as the emotiva keeps me happy and engaged. I already really like the DA8 integrated amp so the emotiva providing anywhere from a little to big improvement would be great already. 

Maybe I shouldn't even try out those expensive amps for a year ^_^

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #887 of 1,613
Do you all have any issues with the volume knob on the DA8? When making 1 - 0.5 dB changes, the volume knob does not step so well, and goes 1 or 2 dB instead of 1 dB. The increments are not consistent when fine-tuning, basically. This can be alleviated if I turn the knob extremely slowly to get the result I want. Anyone else have this problem?

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #888 of 1,613
  Do you all have any issues with the volume knob on the DA8? When making 1 - 0.5 dB changes, the volume knob does not step so well, and goes 1 or 2 dB instead of 1 dB. The increments are not consistent when fine-tuning, basically. This can be alleviated if I turn the knob extremely slowly to get the result I want. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, that happens to me sometimes too. It's very sensitive, but it does track consistently if you do it slowly/carefully.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #889 of 1,613

Yeah that happens to me too. But I usually don't touch the knob. I just adjust on my media player but I know the issue you're alluding to.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #890 of 1,613
  Yes, that happens to me sometimes too. It's very sensitive, but it does track consistently if you do it slowly/carefully.

Yes, it does work when I do it slowly. Just a bit disappointing considering the price of the unit.

Yeah that happens to me too. But I usually don't touch the knob. I just adjust on my media player but I know the issue you're alluding to.

I actually adjust the volume on the DA8 quite a bit, as I use WASAPI in exclusive mode and cannot adjust the volume from my PC (bit-perfect data stream).

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #891 of 1,613

Yea, you should be using wasapi in event mode.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #892 of 1,613

I actually don't see wasapi event mode as an option.. I have something called (YULONG Audio USB Driver 1.0.57) [WASAPI] but not the event mode.

I have my settings set the same as images you showed me from a few pages back. Set at foo_dsd_asio [ASIO] and I have the latest driver for jriver.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #893 of 1,613

I actually don't see wasapi event mode as an option.. I have something called (YULONG Audio USB Driver 1.0.57) [WASAPI] but not the event mode.

I have my settings set the same as images you showed me from a few pages back. Set at foo_dsd_asio [ASIO] and I have the latest driver for jriver.
Ah that's right. Recently a member who goes by 'esprit' posted a link for the latest asio driver that works great, try that one. I'm currently using that latest Yulong driver that works properly with Jriver.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #895 of 1,613

There are 80 steps in the volume control. 
According Yulong: from -60dB to -20dB every step has an increase of 1dB, from -20dB to 0dB the value is 0,5dB

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #896 of 1,613
  There are 80 steps in the volume control. 
According Yulong: from -60dB to -20dB every step has an increase of 1dB, from -20dB to 0dB the value is 0,5dB

Well, that certainly explains it then. Thanks.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #897 of 1,613
New owner reporting!  Really enjoying the DA8 so far.  This review and Gary's DAC comparison made me pull the trigger.  Was leaning a bit towards the Anedio D2 because of the remote but I got the DA8 at a decent price.  The headphone out sounds a little bright with the HD 800's but I was expecting that.  Sounds great with the Schiit Vali but I'm probably going pick up a WA2 later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back