REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Dec 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #751 of 1,613
Appreciate the advice. Finally got around to trying a few suggestions.

I switched my audioquest USB cable out and replaced it with the stock one came with the DA8.

The cable helped, I dont get background static and the lag is almost all gone. Unfortunately I still get pops at the beginning of songs, almost always 2 pops. They aren't loud or piercing but noticeable. I also noticed that the pops only happen when I am manually changing songs. If I let the playlist play on its own the transitions are smooth between songs. 

I did go through Grants and was in contact with Rachael before making the purchase. Will shoot them an email just to let them know I'm dealing with an issue involving DSDs.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #752 of 1,613
Appreciate the advice. Finally got around to trying a few suggestions.

I switched my audioquest USB cable out and replaced it with the stock one came with the DA8.

The cable helped, I dont get background static and the lag is almost all gone. Unfortunately I still get pops at the beginning of songs, almost always 2 pops. They aren't loud or piercing but noticeable. I also noticed that the pops only happen when I am manually changing songs. If I let the playlist play on its own the transitions are smooth between songs. 

I did go through Grants and was in contact with Rachael before making the purchase. Will shoot them an email just to let them know I'm doing with an issue involving DSDs.
Try reinstalling Foobar, if you have Jriver try playing the same material and see if the that pop is still audible. I believe that your computer is most likely to be the culprit and not your DA8.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #753 of 1,613
I am also getting a 1-1.5 second lag whenever I start playing a new song. I am using WASAPI on Winamp. Note: this lag does not exist if I am using Nullsoft DirectSound Output. Can anyone help? Also noticed that this happens in "Exclusive" mode. However, if I choose "Shared" mode, then the Yulong will not show 88.2 khz on songs that are indeed 88.2 khz. It will stick with 44.1 khz. I know I can change the "Default" in Windows, but I don't want Windows to resample (see below):

I also had issues with the Yulong not being detected by my computer, but I switched out the cable and that has been resolved.

To be honest, I'm annoyed with the amount of steps I had to take just to get music to play from this thing. It probably took me 30 minutes to get the player to be recognized by windows before I swapped out the USB cable for one that I had and everything worked properly.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #754 of 1,613
I am also getting a 1-1.5 second lag whenever I start playing a new song. I am using WASAPI on Winamp. Note: this lag does not exist if I am using Nullsoft DirectSound Output. Can anyone help? Also noticed that this happens in "Exclusive" mode. However, if I choose "Shared" mode, then the Yulong will not show 88.2 khz on songs that are indeed 88.2 khz. It will stick with 44.1 khz. I know I can change the "Default" in Windows, but I don't want Windows to resample (see below):

I also had issues with the Yulong not being detected by my computer, but I switched out the cable and that has been resolved.

To be honest, I'm annoyed with the amount of steps I had to take just to get music to play from this thing. It probably took me 30 minutes to get the player to be recognized by windows before I swapped out the USB cable for one that I had and everything worked properly.
I never had any problems whatsoever with my da8. As far as the installation, it was literally plug-and-play. Get a new computer guys, I bet the users that are having problems are using computers that are old enough to be using windows 98 or 2000

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #755 of 1,613
I never had any problems whatsoever with my da8. As far as the installation, it was literally plug-and-plug. Get a new computer guys, I bet the users that are having problems are using computers that are old enough to be using windows 98 or 2000

I built my computer and I'm quite aware of how to install drivers and such. It's not my computer.

The USB cable supplied was lackluster. Sometimes my computer would not detect the Yulong. If I removed the USB cable and inserted the cable back in multiple times, it would eventually work. However, once I swapped out the USB cable, the problem ended completely.

As for the 1 second lag, it is not a problem with the Yulong but rather a software problem with WASAPI.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #756 of 1,613
I never had any problems whatsoever with my da8. As far as the installation, it was literally plug-and-plug. Get a new computer guys, I bet the users that are having problems are using computers that are old enough to be using windows 98 or 2000

I built my computer and I'm quite aware of how to install drivers and such. It's not my computer.

The USB cable supplied was lackluster. Sometimes my computer would not detect the Yulong. If I removed the USB cable and inserted the cable back in multiple times, it would eventually work. However, once I swapped out the USB cable, the problem ended completely.

As for the 1 second lag, it is not a problem with the Yulong but rather a software problem with WASAPI.
I never had any problems with WASAPI. Just sayin..

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #757 of 1,613
Issue has been greatly minimized, but the popping at the beginning, manually changing songs and fast forwarding continues. I just got a new solid state to replace my old one so I'm going to be moving everything over there and see how it goes.

Try reinstalling Foobar, if you have Jriver try playing the same material and see if the that pop is still audible. I believe that your computer is most likely to be the culprit and not your DA8.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #758 of 1,613

I am quite impressed by Yulong/Amanero  drivers and stability of the thing. To be honest I have less playback issues with it than with AURALiC Vega, it just chews through everything, PCM, DSD64, DSD128, DXD, never skipping or missing a bit.

Never tried stock cable, Belkin Gold is what I use on all my rigs, cheap and effective.

I use ASIO though with foo_out_dsd proxy. Try that as this is what you should use in foobar2000 for DSD.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #759 of 1,613
Issue has been greatly minimized, but the popping at the beginning, manually changing songs and fast forwarding continues. I just got a new solid state to replace my old one so I'm going to be moving everything over there and see how it goes.  

Did you check your playback buffering settings.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #761 of 1,613

I am quite impressed by Yulong/Amanero  drivers and stability of the thing. To be honest I have less playback issues with it than with AURALiC Vega, it just chews through everything, PCM, DSD64, DSD128, DXD, never skipping or missing a bit.

Never tried stock cable, Belkin Gold is what I use on all my rigs, cheap and effective.

I use ASIO though with foo_out_dsd proxy. Try that as this is what you should use in foobar2000 for DSD.

+1. I use foo_dsd_asio on Jriver.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #762 of 1,613
I did, its set on 50ms, the lowest foobar will go.

In my opinion, Foobar is great, it works and its free--really cant complain. I still feel that Jriver is better though, for a number of reasons. And while its 'pay to play' at 49.98, Id still go with Jriver over Foobar every time. 

Anyways, heres what my settings look like in Jriver, as should yours if you were to use Jriver.

Note: If you decide to try Jriver, try enabling the box Ive checked on in photo#2 'Play files from memory instead of disk'

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #763 of 1,613
The funny thing is, I'm not playing DSD files and I'm still getting the 1 second lag. But it goes away if I skip WASAPI or Asio (but then I have to go through Windows upsampling which I do not want).

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #764 of 1,613
I did, its set on 50ms, the lowest foobar will go.

I am sure you are looking at the wrong settings. It's under Advanced/Playback/Full file buffering up to (kb)
JRiver vs foobar2000 is really a matter of habit, both provide stellar playback, if you know your way around them. Of course paid application must be better 
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #765 of 1,613
Oh yeah I did check that one as well. I believe it was set at 0. Will double check when I get home.

I am sure you are looking at the wrong settings. It's under Advanced/Playback/Full file buffering up to (kb)
JRiver vs foobar2000 is really a matter of habit, both provide stellar playback, if you know your way around them. Of course paid application must be better :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back