REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Nov 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #601 of 1,613
Unrelated to recent posts, but does anyone notice lika a transformer hum from DA8?

Mine does that sometimes. Periodic (1-2 sec interval) 50Hz, not too loud, but noticeable hum. 
Weird enough this hum dissappears  once headphones are plugged in.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #602 of 1,613
  Unrelated to recent posts, but does anyone notice lika a transformer hum from DA8?

Mine does that sometimes. Periodic (1-2 sec interval) 50Hz, not too loud, but noticeable hum. 
Weird enough this hum dissappears  once headphones are plugged in.

Funny..I recently took my DA8 over to a friends house and that hum was audible when I plugged it in his wall socket. Its dead silent at my place, but then again--Im using a power conditioner.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #603 of 1,613
Any comparison with the Ciúnas DAC? 
redface.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #606 of 1,613
yes,DA8 has a somewhat more fleshed out midrange, more expansive soundstage, and slightly improved bass depth. More top end air as well. For others just reading this, that probably doesn't sound like much - you have to consider that Concero is already an extremely good sounding DAC. Incremental improvements over something that good are hard to come by. thanks
3NnmYM

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #609 of 1,613
I think its probably a system dependent kind of thing. For example I felt the Concero was bottom light with external speakers. I bet it sounds totally different driving headphones, because people seem to love it. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #610 of 1,613
  I wonder what that italian reviewer had for comparison to conclude that DA8 lacks bottom impact? 

I don't think the DAC lacks bottom impact, but I do think the internal amp lacks in bass with high impedance or low sensitivity headphones. Like what mcullinan said, it must be a system-dependant thing because this DAC definitely goes deep.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #611 of 1,613
After reading the Italian review above I was also wondering about that statement about the bass or lack of.I was debating purchasing this dac for my Fostex th900,would the internal amp be sufficient to drive these headphones to a suitable level for mainly EDM and hip-hop?To be honest if I could get away without buying an amp for a while and use the Yulong as an all-in-one I'll do that.The other dac I was looking at was the Matrix X-Sabre and adding maybe a v200,but the Yulong is my preference because it'll save me some funds for the Yuletide celebration.I would welcome any knowledge from those in the know.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #612 of 1,613
After reading the Italian review above I was also wondering about that statement about the bass or lack of.I was debating purchasing this dac for my Fostex th900,would the internal amp be sufficient to drive these headphones to a suitable level for mainly EDM and hip-hop?To be honest if I could get away without buying an amp for a while and use the Yulong as an all-in-one I'll do that.The other dac I was looking at was the Matrix X-Sabre and adding maybe a v200,but the Yulong is my preference because it'll save me some funds for the Yuletide celebration.I would welcome any knowledge from those in the know.

When I had the TH900, I found the DA8's internal amp to do a great job. So you can go ahead with it and save a nice bundle to boot! :)

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #613 of 1,613
Cheers brunk,think I might have to take the plunge on this box o' tricks and see (hear) I get on.To be honest I'm currently listening with a Sennheiser 3.5 adapter out of a Cowon x7 ,sacrilege I know,so chances are I should be fairly happy.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #614 of 1,613
To me this is one of the best purchases I have made this year. Just great, satisfying sound. Very happy. Plus the fact that I can listen to my HD598s when I want headphones vs external speakers. Eyeballing the new Mad Dog Alphas. Nice review on 6 moons...

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #615 of 1,613
I just bought one of these and it's in the mail now from HK. I should get it next week. I'll be comparing it to my Burson HA-160D (via USB). I mainly listen to speakers now (Quad 12L actives) but I also have a Grado RS1i. It'll be curious to see how the headphone amp meshes with the Grados.

What I like about the Burson  sound with the RS1i is the weight and slightly dark sound that helps tame the treble. But I know from some experience with other DACs that I can get a bit better soundstaging and imaging from an upgrade. So I'm curious to see how the DA8 handles things for both the speakers and headphone out.

Looking forward to getting this bad boy in the house

Users who are viewing this thread

Back