REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #1,607 of 1,613
Hi guys

I just picked up a Yulong DA8 with some extensive modifications installed as detailed by the German company Hoer-Wege below which should bring it in line and maybe surpass the MkII version:

This allows us to make the DA8 a truly excellent DAC. While the original device tendenziell rather sounds "boring" and "technical", the hoer-wege DA8 is wonderful "relaxed" and "transparent" !!
The A28 replaces and supplements more than 30 components; 12 diodes, 24 electrolytic and numerous film capacitors, and the housing is damped, etc. The new components are of the very best quality, e.g. ultra-fast, soft-recovery diodes, excluding PANASONIC FM capacitors, WIMA slides, etc. By our modification, we achieve a clear "gain" in resolution and speed with "natural" and "real" sound.
Optionally, we would like to use a more precise 100 MHz oscillator, the CCHD-950X-25-100. The exchange can be carried out 1: 1 if the connections of the CCHD are provided with soldered "legs". All in all, this modification takes more than 3 hours despite the "small" device. But it is worth it, because "after" you have a DAC and KH-amplifier, which also loosely with much more expensive devices.

I am looking forward to comparing it to the internal DAC of the Aries Mini ...will report back

I am especially curious to connect its XLR outputs to my Accuphase integrated amp!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,608 of 1,613
first impressions....very very good..I am really amazed at the level of detail and the soundstage presentation...I do not know how it compares to a stock DA8 but so far I am very impressed...and I have not tried the headphone output yet!

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #1,610 of 1,613
Outstanding!!! I do not know how a standard DA-8 sounds but this Hoer-wege modded one is superb, definitely leagues above the BMC Puredac I owned previously..

I am waiting for a OYAIDE CONTINENTAL 5 S USB cable to arrive...has anyone tried this USB cable?

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,611 of 1,613
Has anyone upgraded their WA7 DAC from 1st generation to 2nd generation? What differences have you noticed?

My unit is currently in for repair at Woo and they're offering me this upgrade for $499. I either get that or I spend $180 to repair my broken USB port. So essentially I'd be spending $320 more for the new DAC. Thoughts?

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/wa7dacupgrade

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,612 of 1,613
Has anyone upgraded their WA7 DAC from 1st generation to 2nd generation? What differences have you noticed?

My unit is currently in for repair at Woo and they're offering me this upgrade for $499. I either get that or I spend $180 to repair my broken USB port. So essentially I'd be spending $320 more for the new DAC. Thoughts?

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/wa7dacupgrade
??????

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,613 of 1,613
Quite an old thread, but I cannot resist to write some follow-up, as I bought Guido's modded DA8, and I couldn't be more pleased with it than I am ATM. This DAC sounds awesome in my current setup, fed from an audio PC with an analogue PSU running HQPlayer 3.x, upscaling my music from a NAS to 2XDSD. I do not use the preamp function, the DA8 is just a standalone DAC, and the balanced output feeds my Promitheus TVC-Bryston4B-Vandersteen 2CE Signature setup. The HQPlayer upscaling and filtering took some time for me to set up, but in return I am hearing a weighty but well-timed, balanced and musical, lush and extended sound with my collection consisting mostly moody Scandinavian jazz, early and classical music. You would think this DAC is an oldie, and things change so fast when it comes to digital to analogue conversion, but for this kind of money, I got a top dog with the right modifications that sings in tune no matter what I throw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back