Review: Yulong A100 headphone amp
Apr 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #46 of 71

Quote:

Have you ever tried the gilmore lite or gs-1 and can you offer a comparison to the A100? I imagine they may be at a different level considering the price but I'm curious to get an oppinion on how much of a difference.

Never heard the Lite, and only heard the GS-1 briefly under poor conditions (noisy background). It sounded wonderful. From what I read it sounds like the A100 shares a similar sound sig with the GS-1. Both seem to have that "wire with gain" type of sound. Beyond that I couldn't say.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #47 of 71
Just want to add a couple points I've noticed on the build quality of my A100 I've just received. The amp is still burning in, so I won't comment on the sound quality yet. The VU meters on my unit were canted upon delivery. Although this is an easy fix, it does require cracking the lid open to straighten them out. I also observed that they are wired incorrectly with respect to the left and right channels. A signal input that is solely coming through the left channel will make the right side VU meter dance. This is probably also a quick wire swap, but it does indicate a lack of attention to detail.
Some may think these are pointless quibbles. Call me er, particular. It bothered me to the point of having to fix it!  Otherwise, the amp seem fairly well constructed. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #48 of 71
Hi guys, I need to look at the A100 data sheet, do you know where to find it, can you help me?

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #49 of 71
Just received it, so far so good, compared to my ol' maverick A1 there is a really noticeable gain in terms of clarity, sharpness (micro-detail) and silence. It really is high-fidelity as you expect it from a good amp, it has tons of power and that's great it can drive easely my he-4 cans in the low
impedance input.
Thanks project 86 for your accurate reviews.

The specs says it all, class a, very low THD (one of the lowest I have seen), extremely silent and tons of power, this is a great product.

May 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #50 of 71
Thanks for this amazing review. Not only was it nice to read, it also showed me how interesting this head-amp really is. I already was glancing at it.
Now I'am a very happy owner! Using it with AKG Q701 headphones.
It already sounded good right from the start. With the burn-in (of the cans only, I guess) it sounds even better, just a tad warmer without loosing the clarity and it's so airy.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #51 of 71
[size=10.0pt]Hi[/size]
[size=10.0pt]I have a U100 + HD239 connected to my PC.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]I just bought a T90 and thinking of adding a amp. What is your recommendation, should I get a A800 or A100[/size]

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #52 of 71
Quote:
[size=10.0pt]Hi[/size]
[size=10.0pt]I have a U100 + HD239 connected to my PC.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]I just bought a T90 and thinking of adding a amp. What is your recommendation, should I get a A800 or A100[/size]

Good question. I've never heard the A800 - it's cheaper, and matches your U100, but I don't know how big of an improvement it might be. The A100 will be a definite improvement, if you're willing to spend that much. The U100 looks good stacked on top of the A100. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #53 of 71
I'm looking to drive the HE500's and have the D100 MKII on order.  I am wondering if the D100 will be sufficient in driving the HE500 or would the A100 be more beneficial.  I was also looking into an AGD amp or possibly the Asgard 2.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

I purchased the D100 MKII based on your review so thank you.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #54 of 71
Quote:
I'm looking to drive the HE500's and have the D100 MKII on order.  I am wondering if the D100 will be sufficient in driving the HE500 or would the A100 be more beneficial.  I was also looking into an AGD amp or possibly the Asgard 2.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

I purchased the D100 MKII based on your review so thank you.  

Well before you do anything else I'd stick with the D100 II when it comes, and feel it out. Are you blown away straight from the headphone jack? Then stop right there. If not, get to know what you like and don't like about it, and then we can discuss which amp will fix that for you. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Well before you do anything else I'd stick with the D100 II when it comes, and feel it out. Are you blown away straight from the headphone jack? Then stop right there. If not, get to know what you like and don't like about it, and then we can discuss which amp will fix that for you. 

Wise man stops me from getting ahead of myself.  Thanks for that and I will take your advise.  

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #56 of 71
Hi

I'm thinking of picking a combo Yulong D100 MK2 + Yulong A100.

I currently have a combo schiit magni / modi that I intend to keep on the laptop, the yulong combo option will be to use mainly in desktop and perhaps integrated in my home rig.
Initially I thought I'd just get the D100 MK2, but after reading this review found that the financial effort would be certainly be offset by the quantum leap in sound (am I wrong ?????)
The headphones that will be used with the Yulong are:
Sennheiser HD650; Hifiman HE400; Fischer Audio FA-011; PSB M4U 1; Philips Fidelio X1; M-Audio Q40; Shure SRH-440 and Philips Uptown
Hope to get your help
minimix

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #57 of 71
I am currently driving my D7000's with a Yulong D100 MKII and want to upgrade the amp section.  I was going to save up for the Violectric V200 but may be swayed by the relatively inexpensive A100 and synergy.  I know that it is highly subjective but is the V200 really worth about $700 more in terms of sound?  The D7000's are relatively easy to drive but would like the option to play around with other headphones in the future.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #58 of 71
  I am currently driving my D7000's with a Yulong D100 MKII and want to upgrade the amp section.  I was going to save up for the Violectric V200 but may be swayed by the relatively inexpensive A100 and synergy.  I know that it is highly subjective but is the V200 really worth about $700 more in terms of sound?  The D7000's are relatively easy to drive but would like the option to play around with other headphones in the future.

Worth $700 more? That's a question no one else can answer for you. All I can say is the A100 is worth trying if you can get a hold of one on a demo, or buy from some place which allows returns. It's a fantastic amp imho. The downside would be it's not all that popular so if you end up selling it, you take a loss. The flip side of that? If you find one in the classified section you might snag it for cheap.

The other option is to split the difference and go for the new A28 model. It's sort of an evolution of the A100, using some design aspects of the A18 as well. Priced about midway between the A100 and the V200. Plus it's fully balanced if that might matter to you down the road.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #59 of 71
I received my A100 today and just unpacked it.  I noticed that it is making a noise from inside when I move it around.  Almost like something is loose inside.  Does anyone else have this same issue?  I haven't plugged it in yet.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #60 of 71
I received my A100 today and just unpacked it.  I noticed that it is making a noise from inside when I move it around.  Almost like something is loose inside.  Does anyone else have this same issue?  I haven't plugged it in yet.

Could be the fuse, which is next to the AC plug slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back