Review: Yulong A100 headphone amp
Jan 24, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #16 of 71
Great review again, Project86!

Now I think a pretty interesting question would be combining the cost of a D100 and A100 (~$850 depending on shipping) can you think of a better Dac + Amp combination at a similar or lesser price?

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #18 of 71

Quote:

Just remembered of another question I had in my mind:

project86, did you find any sonic difference between the low and high impedance jacks?
Do you have a preference between them when using full sized headphones?

Man, i really liked the descriptions you gave to this Yulong A100, it's really the soulmate of the D100 for a setup that strives for transparency.
Sorry for my question about A100 or Concerto, I understand if you are not willing to answer it... it's just that you give the A100 a very similar description to what is said about the Meier amp...
I bet the A100 would be a great match for LCD2...

Sorry I didn't see this question until now.

I generally use the "high" output for most headphones. As I understand it, the "low" output has a 120ohm resistor in the path. "Low" is perfect for IEMs, even driving really sensitive ones like ES3X with no hiss. ES3X has some hiss on the "high" output. Other than that the differences are not huge. I feel like using "high" gives a bit more headroom for most headphones, and I prefer not having to crank the volume knob as much to get the same loudness.

As I said, I don't have a Concerto here to directly compare. It may in fact be a bit better, and of course it comes with some advantages like the very well done crossfeed feature. If you aren't bothered by the slight "click" sound, the volume control is highly accurate, and allows you to dial in a volume level with more precision than most amps. Both products are well built and should not have isues, but Meier offers a 2 year warranty compared to 1 year for the Yulong.

I wish I could clarify more, but once again I'll say that the Concerto is an excellent piece of hardware and I happily recommend both products.

Quote:
Quote:

By the way, I'd cross Einar sound off the list. Their website is down and I don't think you can buy a new one any longer. I tried but couldn't find a source.

They are available new from A Pure Sound. According to A Pure Sound, the Einar Sound website was hacked, and they are working on getting it back up again. But to be honest, I have now crossed it off my list for other reasons anyway. I have heard reports of poor quality control and lackluster performance. Too bad...

Best regards,
Adam

Thanks for the info. I too have heard those reports (from Skylab's review thread I believe) and combined with the lack of a web presence I decided to pass on it, despite all the potential it has. If I do buy a balanced amp anytime soon I think it will be the Violectric V181. I'd also like to hear more about the new Blossom BLO-0169. I somehow doubt it can match the Violectric though.

Quote:
Great review again, Project86!

Now I think a pretty interesting question would be combining the cost of a D100 and A100 (~$850 depending on shipping) can you think of a better Dac + Amp combination at a similar or lesser price?

Not at the moment, no. Of course I haven't heard everything out there.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #20 of 71
Excellent review! Very insightful. I enjoyed your D100 review also, and it was a key factor in my purchase of that DAC. I recall that you saw good improvement with your D7000 markl mod using A100 over headphone out on the D100, and my question is: would i see similar gains in D2000? Have you had any experience with the others in the denon line up? I'm mostly looking for airier highs and more pronounced dynamic range. Thank you! 

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #21 of 71

Quote:
Excellent review! Very insightful. I enjoyed your D100 review also, and it was a key factor in my purchase of that DAC. I recall that you saw good improvement with your D7000 markl mod using A100 over headphone out on the D100, and my question is: would i see similar gains in D2000? Have you had any experience with the others in the denon line up? I'm mostly looking for airier highs and more pronounced dynamic range. Thank you! 

I'm not sure how well it would translate to the D2000 because I'm not familiar with that model at all. My first and only experience with Denon headphones was the D7000, and that was only for a week before sending it in to be moddified. Honestly though despite the differences I can't imagine them being drastically different.... D2000 should be sort of a baby D7000. If that is the case, they should respond well to the A100.

The interesting question would be this: which is a more cost effective upgrade - the A100 for $375 or the Lawton LA2000 Lite treatment for $500? Unfortunately I can't answer that for you.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #22 of 71

Quote:
I'm not sure how well it would translate to the D2000 because I'm not familiar with that model at all. My first and only experience with Denon headphones was the D7000, and that was only for a week before sending it in to be moddified. Honestly though despite the differences I can't imagine them being drastically different.... D2000 should be sort of a baby D7000. If that is the case, they should respond well to the A100.

The interesting question would be this: which is a more cost effective upgrade - the A100 for $375 or the Lawton LA2000 Lite treatment for $500? Unfortunately I can't answer that for you.

That is an interesting question! I know you only listened to the D7000 for a brief time before you got the LA7000, but after modification did you notice any differences? Mainly: tighter bass, relaxed presentation, and expanded soundstaging like lawton claims with markl mod? I've heard of the markl mod before, but i've always been scared to try something so drastic in fear of losing the nice denon sound.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #23 of 71
Excellent review and informative  thread, thank you Project86.

In my situation I have an old Audio-gd Compass dac/amp that I want to upgrade. I have the Beyer T1 on the way, and am on the waiting list for the LCD-2.

My question is, has anyone used this combo to drive either of these two headphones? Can we safely make an assumption that the D100 paired with the  A100 would work well, or should I think of perhaps the D100 paired with the Matrix m-stage?

I would prefer to keep the funding for the upgrade under $900, that is why this setup looks appealing to me.

Thanks again.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 71
Excellent review and informative  thread, thank you Project86.

In my situation I have an old Audio-gd Compass dac/amp that I want to upgrade. I have the Beyer T1 on the way, and am on the waiting list for the LCD-2.

My question is, has anyone used this combo to drive either of these two headphones? Can we safely make an assumption that the D100 paired with the  A100 would work well, or should I think of perhaps the D100 paired with the Matrix m-stage?

I would prefer to keep the funding for the upgrade under $900, that is why this setup looks appealing to me.

Thanks again.

why not get a better audio-gd setup instead?

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #25 of 71

Quote:
why not get a better audio-gd setup instead?

Yes, was thinking of the NFB-10WM.
Or perhaps the NFB-3 paired with one of the C-2 amps they offer. However, I did like what I read about the M-Stage, I gather I can pair the Audio-gd Dac's with the M-Stage as well (but loose the ACSS abilities, not sure if that's such a big deal)

Sorry to go off topic.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #26 of 71
The Audio-GD NFB-10WM appears to be the closest competitor in the Audio-GD lineup (judging strictly by price). I haven't heard it so I have no idea how it would stack up against the D100/A100 combo. I'm not one to judge based on pure specs (which can vary wildly within the Audio-GD lineup) so I really couldn't say much other than to guess that the NFB-10WM is probably a pretty nice unit.

Given the prices and the relatively limited user base for both brands (compared to something like Cambridge or Musical Fidelity) it is unlikely that we will see a direct comparison any time soon.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #28 of 71
Your great reviews about both the D100 and A100 make them really interesting for me as an upgrade. But I'm curious how they compare to similar priced options like the Burson HA160D or Meier StageDac + Concerto. Being a bit cheaper, do you think the sound plays in the same league (functionality aside...)?

I think I will got for the D100 first and see how it pairs with my tube amp (Audiotailor Jade) and the DT990/600. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #29 of 71

Quote:
Your great reviews about both the D100 and A100 make them really interesting for me as an upgrade. But I'm curious how they compare to similar priced options like the Burson HA160D or Meier StageDac + Concerto. Being a bit cheaper, do you think the sound plays in the same league (functionality aside...)?

I think I will got for the D100 first and see how it pairs with my tube amp (Audiotailor Jade) and the DT990/600. 

The Burson HA160D is something I'm constantly asked about. I haven't had a chance to try it so I couldn't say. I did like the regular HA160 amp (with no DAC) when I heard it, but I didn't get enough time with it to judge conclusively. From my limited time with it though, I'd say the A100 is in the same league but with a different focus; the Burson being more musical and warm, the Yulong being more technically accurate and maybe boring by some accounts. The Yulong is more similar to the Concerto than the Burson though.

I think your initial plan to go D100 is a good one, and if you later felt the need to try a solid state amp for a somewhat reasonable price, then consider the A100.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #30 of 71
Thanks for your input, I already ordered D100 and some new tubes for the amp... if I get bored with it I will definitely consider the A100.
Your reviews are hurting my wallet 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back