Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
May 2, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #481 of 508
I was forced to plug in my Senn HD650 to my HK receiver for a listen earlier today - listened to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album...hmm, not bad, I thought. Now I'm back at my usual listening spot, listening to the same album with HD650 and Woo 6SE...holy cow! I did not realize before how much difference there was between the HK receiver and the Woo. It feels like I just got a thorough ear cleansing: so much more transparency, liveliness, detail...totally immersive...it really feels like I'm there. Just had to share.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #482 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was forced to plug in my Senn HD650 to my HK receiver for a listen earlier today - listened to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album...hmm, not bad, I thought. Now I'm back at my usual listening spot, listening to the same album with HD650 and Woo 6SE...holy cow! I did not realize before how much difference there was between the HK receiver and the Woo. It feels like I just got a thorough ear cleansing: so much more transparency, liveliness, detail...totally immersive...it really feels like I'm there. Just had to share.
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif
Cheers peanuthead. You should say what tube combination is now sitting on your 6SE, wondering which make you so happy, must be the "Princess", must be a gal, right?
evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding, to all MOD, forgive my words.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #483 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif
Cheers peanuthead. You should say what tube combination is now sitting on your 6SE, wondering which make you so happy, must be the "Princess", must be a gal, right?
evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding, to all MOD, forgive my words.
biggrin.gif

I'm currently enjoying Sophia Princess with GE NOS 6DE7 tubes. I've tried RCA 6FD7, Raytheon 6DE7, United 6EW7, and to be honest, I've liked them all, and don't have a clear favorite, although I may prefer 6EW7's for jazz and classical...
I've found Raytheon 6DE7 to be the most hard hitting and impactful, United 6EW7 to be most spacious with slight bass emphasis, but not as much bass impact, and RCA 6FD7 to be somewhere in between. I like the GE 6DE7 as a good "all arounder."
Sophia Princess, well, no need to tube roll there.
smile_phones.gif

3472149079_c643980b45_o.jpg

May 3, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #484 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It feels like I just got a thorough ear cleansing: so much more transparency, liveliness, detail...totally immersive...it really feels like I'm there. Just had to share.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just listened to Radiohead (Best Of) on my rig, and I have to agree. It was a wonderful experience. Transparent, lively, detailed... ditto!

May 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #485 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that perhaps the WA6 would change my mind on that. The D7000 was something unique, though - if I were to give up all dynamic headphones to keep just one at this point, it would be for the D7000, since it offers something an electrostat most likely cannot (powerful, impactful, head-shaking, yet very textured and refined, bass).

But I'm probably being too quick to judge the WA6. Hopefully it will improve over the next ninety-something hours (100 hours recommended burn-in time).

I wasn't totally jazzed with my Senn 650s w/stock WA6 + Sophia until I started using Pico's DAC to feed it. If you don't have a Sophia you might look at trying one and also look at a different DAC. I've never heard the EMU. The Pico brought more and better bass and so did the Sophia over stock rectifier. Also, not sure what power cord you are using on the WA6. The 650 may not have the sig you like and may sound "thick" to you, but that is one of the things I like about it. I like the balance and the palpable mid-bass. I'm switching between the Volex 17604 power cable and the Iron-Lung Jellyfish. Both are better than the random cord I was using. The Jellyfish seems more punchy and the Volex seems to bring out mids. I do think the WA6 has improved over time and especially recently and I should be several hundred hours into it by now, so there may be improvements to come even after the 100 hour mark.

May 24, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #486 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by airstream66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't totally jazzed with my Senn 650s w/stock WA6 + Sophia until I started using Pico's DAC to feed it. If you don't have a Sophia you might look at trying one and also look at a different DAC. I've never heard the EMU. The Pico brought more and better bass and so did the Sophia over stock rectifier. Also, not sure what power cord you are using on the WA6. The 650 may not have the sig you like and may sound "thick" to you, but that is one of the things I like about it. I like the balance and the palpable mid-bass. I'm switching between the Volex 17604 power cable and the Iron-Lung Jellyfish. Both are better than the random cord I was using. The Jellyfish seems more punchy and the Volex seems to bring out mids. I do think the WA6 has improved over time and especially recently and I should be several hundred hours into it by now, so there may be improvements to come even after the 100 hour mark.

I am using the Iron-Lung Jellyfish with my Woo WA6, and the Shunyata Viper with my Woo GES. I have never bothered to compare power cables. Hmmm...

May 24, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #487 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the Iron-Lung Jellyfish with my Woo WA6, and the Shunyata Viper with my Woo GES. I have never bothered to compare power cables. Hmmm...

I would not really have believed that a power cable would affect sound but I did notice a difference when I went from the unknown cable I was using to the Volex. For instance, with triple.fi's on the WA6 I was getting a slight but very distinct and noticeable (and annoying) hum or buzz on the left channel with the unknown cable (an 18 gauge unshielded cable that looks almost like the Volex). Could not isolate what was causing it. Could not hear it with any of my full sized cans, just the triple.fi's. When I changed to the Volex, hum was gone. I think the Volex is shielded and the Jellyfish is not (could be wrong). Both of them basically knocked out the hum and the background now feels blacker. Actually felt as though I had to turn amp volume knob up further with the Volex when I put it on. Then after about 24 hours plugged in, seems like the volume came back. Do not know if this is real or imagined but there is no disputing the improvement from both cables over the cable I had on there to start with.

May 25, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #488 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by airstream66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not really have believed that a power cable would affect sound but I did notice a difference when I went from the unknown cable I was using to the Volex. For instance, with triple.fi's on the WA6 I was getting a slight but very distinct and noticeable (and annoying) hum or buzz on the left channel with the unknown cable (an 18 gauge unshielded cable that looks almost like the Volex). Could not isolate what was causing it. Could not hear it with any of my full sized cans, just the triple.fi's. When I changed to the Volex, hum was gone. I think the Volex is shielded and the Jellyfish is not (could be wrong). Both of them basically knocked out the hum and the background now feels blacker. Actually felt as though I had to turn amp volume knob up further with the Volex when I put it on. Then after about 24 hours plugged in, seems like the volume came back. Do not know if this is real or imagined but there is no disputing the improvement from both cables over the cable I had on there to start with.

With the Iron-Lung Jellyfish cable I can listen to my WA6 with my Westone ES3X customs and hear no noise or hum or hiss. So, I have been happy with it.

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #490 of 508
jack just confirmed the 6sn7 works with the wa6 with an adapter that he'll be able to
provide in the near future. he hasn't confirmed that it'll work with the wa6 SE though and
i haven't been able to run it very successfully. there's just not enough current thru the
output section.

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #492 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the stock WA6 pair up well with Grados? I've searched and haven't found anything on Grados, but mostly Sennheisers.

I'm also interested in the answer!

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #494 of 508
^ +2

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #495 of 508
Hi guys,

please excuse my ignorance as I am new to this headphone amp lark but I am going to place an order for the WA6 with pdps upgrade next week but I keep reading about this "maxed out" term.

Can someone please let me know what mods the WA6 would have for it to be classed as maxed out? I may go for it depending on how much extra it costs.

Thanks for any help,

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back