Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
Jan 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #286 of 508
After using the 6FD7 for a while and getting enough hours on them I went back to the 6DE7 and as noted above, I can hear better dynamics with the 6DE7 and just prefer the sound.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #287 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiGeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...Simply put, the 6FD7 tubes had far too much gain for the K701s and things started to get pretty loud by the third "click" of the volume dial.

...I am just wondering is upgrading the rectifier to an expensive Sophia Princess or EML is likely to provide an increase in performance, especially as there does not seem to be much info available on the ECG Philips 5R4GYB?

Seems like quite a good tube and is better sounding than the Sylvania 5R4GYB tube I brought off Ebay.

Many thanks

k701smile.gif

yikes... anyone with the dact volume knob will have issues with these high
gain output tubes... moving just a millimeter with the standard potentiometer
is a big difference in volume... you just wouldn't have much leeway to find
that sweet spot with a dact click volume...

the ecg philips 5r4gyb is just a sylvania rebrand... philips bought out sylvania,
as well as others, in the mid 70's... ECG was Sylvania's name for their large
semi-conductor replacement series. They expanded it to cover tubes and
other replacement parts.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #288 of 508
Almost all of the 70's stuff and any of the last bit of production in the 80's was all mixed up. You never really knew who was making the tube and quality really bit the dust, even on the last bit of the WE tubes, which were among the best.

I use the Goldpoint attenuator and have no problem.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #289 of 508
Yeah, I thought that the Dact stepped attenuator was going to be a real issue seeing as its only got 23 steps. As it turns out, with normal gain tubes and k701 cans, only having 23 steps has not really been much of an issue especially with most decently recorded and vaguely dynamic music.

What causes problems and misses "the sweet spot" every time is badly engineered recordings ie. Iron Maiden CDs. Its either too loud or too quiet..

Good to know that the ECG is actually a rebranded Sylvania. It should mean that the sound can get only better when a more expensive 274b tube is installed.

Many thanks

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #290 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After using the 6FD7 for a while and getting enough hours on them I went back to the 6DE7 and as noted above, I can hear better dynamics with the 6DE7 and just prefer the sound.

Your WA6 is a bit more modded than a WA6 maxxed though, so perhaps it is all adding to the different experience.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #291 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yikes... anyone with the dact volume knob will have issues with these high
gain output tubes... moving just a millimeter with the standard potentiometer
is a big difference in volume... you just wouldn't have much leeway to find
that sweet spot with a dact click volume...

the ecg philips 5r4gyb is just a sylvania rebrand... philips bought out sylvania,
as well as others, in the mid 70's... ECG was Sylvania's name for their large
semi-conductor replacement series. They expanded it to cover tubes and
other replacement parts.

So, I've finally read through the full thread, and it sounds like there are some varied opinions on tubes, and the favorites have changed with time. For someone listening mostly to classic/acoustic rock, which trio of input/output tubes would you suggest for someone with a Woo 6SE, for whom budget is important?

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #292 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambrosecarr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I've finally read through the full thread, and it sounds like there are some varied opinions on tubes, and the favorites have changed with time. For someone listening mostly to classic/acoustic rock, which trio of input/output tubes would you suggest for someone with a Woo 6SE, for whom budget is important?

it's only natural people's opinion vary with tube preference...
among the output tubes, the 6de7, 6cy7 and 6dr7 have very good dynamics
and impact. whereas the 6ew7, 6fd7 and 6da7a have a more tubey diffused
dynamics with a bloomy/fat tone, but still offers better inner resolution and
larger soundstage overall, imo. good news is they're relatively cheap at about
$4 a piece. for your wa6SE, i'd recommend you get them in pairs that is
relatively close in transductance, or matched within 10% of each other at
operating voltage of 200volts. having a bigger discrepancy may introduce
left and right volume difference.

for rock/acoutic rock music i enjoy the 6de7 or 6cy7 with gz30 or gz34...
but if you can afford it, the 274b is tops among the rectifiers.

the best thing about tubes is you can tube roll to find which combo you
enjoy best. good luck and hope you don't spend too much on tubes.

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #293 of 508
I'm loving the fat bottle GE 6EW7 tubes that Jack sent with my 6SE.

For classical music, and rock such as Pink Floyd, The Doors, Dire Straits, etc.. they are absolutly perfect. Great dynamics. Really nice 3d headstage. Very nice expansive freq range (especially mids & treble). Very high resolution and transparant sounding.

Really good value and available from WooAudio at only $20 for a matched pair.

Not yet played around with changing the rectifier tube.

k701smile.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #294 of 508
Thanks for the response Takezo. I've been hunting around to see if I could find something which was a little less expensive than the Princess tube, so maybe I'll give the gz30 or gz34 a try. I could probably swing the 274b, but we'll see.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #296 of 508
Quote:

I'm loving the fat bottle GE 6EW7 tubes that Jack sent with my 6SE.

For classical music, and rock such as Pink Floyd, The Doors, Dire Straits, etc.. they are absolutly perfect. Great dynamics. Really nice 3d headstage. Very nice expansive freq range (especially mids & treble). Very high resolution and transparant sounding.

Really good value and available from WooAudio at only $20 for a matched pair.

Not yet played around with changing the rectifier tube.

k701smile.gif

Jack didn't say he matched the pairs when I asked as he said matching was not necessary. Did he definitely say he matches the tubes?

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #297 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't touched my tubes since I got the Sophia Princess 274b in September (with RCA 6DE7 in May). No sense fixing what aint broke.

x2

I listen to classic rock and alternative. This is the best combination of tubes that I have heard in my WA6SE. I love the dynamics and tight bass with my Denons.

Ambrosecarr: In addition to takezo's recommendations, you could try to find a 1940's or early 50's RCA 5V4G on eBay. This rectifier does a nice imitation of the Princess for $15-$20 and sounds really good on classic rock (solid bass and a nice warmth on the mids and vocals). I bought one based on takezo's advice and it is my second favorite rectifier now. However, buying the Sophia Princess now will end your search and save you money in the long run unless you just want to have a collection of backup rectifiers like me.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #298 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jack didn't say he matched the pairs when I asked as he said matching was not necessary. Did he definitely say he matches the tubes?

Yes. On the bottom of the the 6SE page under the options section it says this:

"Drive/Power tube replacement:
1 matched pair 6EW7 $20 (2 pcs)

Clear top, big bottle. Buy and ship independently. 6EW7 is a direct replacement for a 6DE7."

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #299 of 508
I don't think it matters if they're matched or not. As long as they are the same brand, from the same vintage. I bought 4 RCA 6DE7's from tubedepot.com awhile back and I highly doubt if they are matched. I cant detect any imbalance whatsoever.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #300 of 508
Quote:

Yes. On the bottom of the the 6SE page under the options section it says this:

"Drive/Power tube replacement:
1 matched pair 6EW7 $20 (2 pcs)

Clear top, big bottle. Buy and ship independently. 6EW7 is a direct replacement for a 6DE7."

Thanks. Perhaps I should read things first
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back