[REVIEW] Westone Adventure Series ADV Alpha - A Thing That Goes Thump in the Night
Jul 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #31 of 102
Quote:
Usually when the treble level are that low insertion depth won't be a big difference. These are also likely of low acoustic impedance. The reduction of the bass due to small leaking of shallow insertion is what balances perhaps

That might well be it! Losing the seal completely actually just makes them harsh, I guess because the driver is way underdamped as a result.

I'm surprised by the IF graphs apparently showing more resonances than I would expect from an all magnesium body, maybe I put too much faith in materials...

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #32 of 102
Glad I went with the Polk UltraFits
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #33 of 102
Jul 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #34 of 102
Quote:
I love the (almost) monolithic and bullet-proof design of these, It's a pity that good thump in the night doesn't get more appreciation in this case...
tongue.gif

On the flip side the it measures strikingly close to the Sony MH1c, which i personally don't hear nearly as dark and dull as it appears in the graph:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/WestoneADVAlpha.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMH1C.pdf

Keep in mind that insertion depth does change how an IEM graphs. The thing is that it's not that I mind bass (I like dark sounding headphones). It's that the vocals lack energy and you can see from the graph how treble is just completely shelved after 10khz.

Haven't heard the Sony MH1C but little differences in emphasis can be really quite significant. The SE215 graph looks a bit like the ADV but they sound quite different.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #35 of 102
I'm kind of curious if Westone will try to make a hybrid using the ADV dynamic driver for the low end and a BA for the top. With the right crossover, I think that could be interesting.

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #36 of 102
Quote:
I'm kind of curious if Westone will try to make a hybrid using the ADV dynamic driver for the low end and a BA for the top. With the right crossover, I think that could be interesting.

It would be interesting but ybrid designs always strike me as over-engineering though. You can get plenty of fantastic performance out of a single dynamic driver (EX1000, GR07, FXD80, SE215, etc) and it won't have trouble with different source impedances like a hybrid design would.                                           

I am actually planning a write up of a bunch of single driver (dynamic and BA) earphone models just to kind of demonstrate this: that you don't need to use multiple drivers (which add coherency issue) just so that you can overcome perceived shortcomings with single dynamic drivers (which don't really seem to exist any more with modern dynamic micro drivers) or BAs.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #37 of 102
I wonder if you can remove the filter from the eartip stalk?  Perhaps that would help - I really like a lot about these IEMs other than the weird sound signature.  Planning on returning though at this point.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #38 of 102
I have been listening to these for a few weeks now.  My go-to earphones are Etymotic Hf3s, so the ADVs are quite a departure.  I also have Westone 4s, and I listen to those with the red star tips (a relatively deep insertion).  If I use those same red star tips (or anything else that requires a deep insertion) with the ADVs, the bass is overwhelming.  

After experimenting with lots of tips and insertion depths on the ADVs, I have found that what works best for me are the Comply Action tips (the ones sold at Radio Shack).  These tips result in a very shallow insertion, and don't provide anywhere near the isolation that I get from my Etys or W4s; but with the Complys the treble emerges, and the bass (while still strong) recedes, just enough to make these earphones quite enjoyable, with surprising detail and still very satisfying bass. The ancillary advantage is that with these tips the ADVs are incredibly comfortable (since nothing is jammed into your ear canal).  I actually prefer the reduced isolation in many instances.  I feel safer walking around the streets of NY at least moderately aware of what's going on around me, and I can see how in an earphone intended to be used for running, skiing, etc. this makes sense.  At the moment my Etys are still the earphones I grab most mornings (I save the W4s for special occasions) -  but I am not at all sorry I bought the ADVs and I am using them more and more.

It would be really interesting to hear from someone from Westone on these boards who might elaborate on what they were thinking when they designed these earphones, and, particularly, the intended insertion depth and use cases.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #39 of 102
^^ Thanks for the tips rhauser! (Quite literally har har har kill me)
Quote:
It would be really interesting to hear from someone from Westone on these boards who might elaborate on what they were thinking when they designed these earphones, and, particularly, the intended insertion depth and use cases.

I feel like they have actually been pretty clear about the intended use lol. In the ADV press release thread the Westone CEO has posted a few times, maybe you can PM him? :wink:

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #40 of 102
Thanks for writing the review and posting the video! Based on what you write these seem perfect for my use.

More comparison to SE215 would be great, I have those currently and am not 100% happy with them. Id ideally like more and deeper bass than the 215s. 

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #41 of 102
How's the bass compared to Klipsch S4i? Thanks

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #42 of 102
So I've had these a few weeks and while I'm still not in love with the sound signature if I'm trying to use them for critical listening... it turns out I don't use them that way - these are my "active" headphones that I use when washing dishes, riding my motorcycle, etc and for that they work very well.  When I'm just walking around or whatever the SQ is just fine - for critical listening I have other choices that are a better option.

I like the sturdy body and the cord isn't microphonic in normal use, however I do find that they tangle very easily.  I'm really not a fan of over-ear cable routing.

With stock single tips these are shallow insertion, I actually like the lack of sound attenuation since I tend to use these in public - hearing just a bit of the surrounding enviroment is actually a plus.  If I need more sound attenuation I can either use the foamies included or some deep triple tips I have.

One huge plus, and partially why I am keeping them is the mic works crazy good - I have used it while riding my motorcycle at low speeds (say 20-30mph) and the caller did not even know. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #43 of 102
You wear IEMs on a motorcycle?

I'm sorry but that's just not smart. I live in LA and when I see people driving cars with headphones, I honk at them and make gestures to let them know how foolish they are being. For a motorcycle this goes tenfold, you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times as much as possible, because you are at a way bigger risk than anyone around you. You also put others at risk because if you wreck, odds are someone will either hit you and **** up their car, or swerve to avoid you and potentially cause a pile up. It seems as though you have become too comfortable because you have never had an accident or close call; if you want to stay that way, well, the headphones are a big factor working against you.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to be your mom or something but this is something I see happening more and more often that I think is just a really negative trend in our society as a whole. Sure it's fun but puts you AND me at risk and it's just an all around bad idea.
Quote:
So I've had these a few weeks and while I'm still not in love with the sound signature if I'm trying to use them for critical listening... it turns out I don't use them that way - these are my "active" headphones that I use when washing dishes, riding my motorcycle, etc and for that they work very well.  When I'm just walking around or whatever the SQ is just fine - for critical listening I have other choices that are a better option.

I like the sturdy body and the cord isn't microphonic in normal use, however I do find that they tangle very easily.  I'm really not a fan of over-ear cable routing.

With stock single tips these are shallow insertion, I actually like the lack of sound attenuation since I tend to use these in public - hearing just a bit of the surrounding enviroment is actually a plus.  If I need more sound attenuation I can either use the foamies included or some deep triple tips I have.

One huge plus, and partially why I am keeping them is the mic works crazy good - I have used it while riding my motorcycle at low speeds (say 20-30mph) and the caller did not even know. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #44 of 102
I can understand why you would think that - however most serious motorcyclists wear earplugs.  My (DOT approved) full face helmet has bluetooth and I can listen to tunes that way as well.  It crapped out on me so instead of running earplugs & bluetooth I'm using an IEM.  You may not know how much wind noise a motorcyclist is exposed to even in a full face helmet and hence the recommendation to wear earplugs, also if you don't have experience with earplugs you may not realize it but things like a honking horn or a siren are still easily heard.

You don't need to worry about *my* awareness - I have to worry about YOURS when I ride :wink: but I do appreciate the sentiment.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #45 of 102
Enough of this sermonizing. You know, some people have long commutes on desolate roads with nary another car in site. Or they drive on highways late at night or early morning where they are the only car on the road. Or they are out in the country where there is not much traffic. In such instances, wearing headphones is perfectly fine. Not everyone lives in LA with crazy traffic 24/7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back