[REVIEW] Westone Adventure Series ADV Alpha - A Thing That Goes Thump in the Night
Apr 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #76 of 102
What im interested to find out is how it compares to the futuresonics atrios. I was a staunch BA iem user for years till i discovered the atrios amd i never looked back. The only problem was the fit. If this has a similar sound signature and bass quality/quantity as the atrios, i would buy them in a heartbeat.

May 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #77 of 102
What im interested to find out is how it compares to the futuresonics atrios. I was a staunch BA iem user for years till i discovered the atrios amd i never looked back. The only problem was the fit. If this has a similar sound signature and bass quality/quantity as the atrios, i would buy them in a heartbeat.

There is less treble and more bass in the westone compared to the atrios. It's not as balanced. But I have both and like both.

The bass on the westone is a lot clearer than most other dynamic driver IEMs I've owned, yet there's still a high quantity. If you liked the atrios I would give it a shot.

May 9, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #78 of 102
Just scored these for $79. I usually use my Velodyne vPulse to pound around the park for my 2-3 mile walk 4 times a week but I am wearing them out. These fit the bill perfectly.

BuyDig model no. 78400, for $149. Coupon code "AUDIOPH" cuts it to $79. Free Shipping.

May 12, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #79 of 102
I'm curious about these - 

if it's for "workouts" and other physical activity, why is the impedance so low?

I mean.. It's being marketed for use with smartphones and whatnot.. 

Interesting. 

May 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #81 of 102
Well, keeping in mind that sensitivity and impedance are two different things - 

The Galaxy S4 has an output impedance of 4-8ohms, meaning it probably won't play well with the Alpha. 

:frowning2:

May 12, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #82 of 102
Lower impedance headphones are usually easier to drive. So the logic is that lower impedance will not require as much power so they'll be more suitable for mobile devices. Nothing to do with sound quality.

May 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #83 of 102
  Lower impedance headphones are usually easier to drive.

Overall "loudness" depends on the sensitivity rating, as well as impedance. They are both key equal factors in determining how "easy to drive" an IEM is.

For example:

The Westone UM3X has an impedance of ~56ohms, and it's ability to be driven is similar to the ~30ohm Westone 3.

The sensitivity of the Alpha (101db at ~21ohms) is not too far from the Westone 3 - (107db).

Point is, these IEMs are all roughly similar in their ability to be driven (very easily) at varying impedances. Only problem is, the Alpha is so low on impedance, that it will sound very wonky unless it's run from a very low-impedance source. 

The iPhone 5s, for example, has an output impedance of 2.3ohms - so using it with the load of a 20ohm Alpha might only *just* be ideal, and you may get variances in frequency response.

The 4-8ohm OI of the i9505 Galaxy S4, however, might be in trouble in this case.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I'm going to pick up one of these in the next few days, and put my money where my ears are - if it sounds good enough for workouts, I'll be stoked. I'm a Westone fanatic, they make great products.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #85 of 102
So I picked up a pair of the alphas when they were $80. Like had been mentioned they were quite bass heavy and thus somewhat muddy sounding to me so I ended up just using the cable with my W40s.

Anyways I had to send the cable back as it started fraying. Fast forward to today when I received a complete new ADV Beta as a replacement. Color me pleasantly surprised.

It's been a while since I listened to the alphas but it seems that the betas have definitely improved some of the alphas shortcomings to me. Bass is still emphasized but sounds sharper and more impactful. Soundstage actually sounds larger with better separation. And finally I don't get as much of a sense of muddiness. There is still a bit of a veil due to the emphasized bass but instruments and voices seem to pierce through nicely. Of course these are just initial impressions with the included medium star tips (I've found larger bore tips to open up a lot of the westone iems I've owned).

Anyways I didn't see any other impressions on the Betas so I thought I'd post this here. Anyone else heard them yet?

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #86 of 102
I just received a pair of ADV Beta yesterday and started testing them out. I'm planning on trying my hand at a first review once I'm done with my testing to choose my next day to day IEM. I'm testing them out against RHA MA750i and Monster Turbine Pro Copper. My first impression from listening to them for the first time last night against MA750i is that the bass is definitely more powerful, but not by that much. I did kind of get a small sense of muddiness or a veil of some kind depending on what I was listening to. I have to point out that I don't own any amp for now and that I tested using my iPad Air with tracks that I purchased that are "Mastered for iTunes". The highs felt much clearer on the MA750i, I must test more during the weekend and also try with a different source.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #87 of 102
Hi, I just ordered the Westone Adventure Series Beta and it's on the way with the Fiio E6 amplifier. I searched this forum and cannot find much reviews on this updated version of the Adventure Series. Does anyone have good experience with them, how much better are the sound compared to the Alpha model?

May 11, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #88 of 102
Good detail with lots of well-extended (but thick) bass, and somewhat recessed vocals in the mids. Good Soundstage and instrument separation. Great build quality and accesories' inclusion.

The "beta" iteration has less bass (yet still a lot), which sounds somewhat muddier/woolier than the alpha. Still a great headphone, however, if you like your bass.

Short-story is that that they are each a different flavor of a consumer-oriented type of sound signature; wide imaging and general clarity throughout, paired with a heavy, high-quality bass.

Bass feels slightly more controlled while listening using the true-fit foam-tips.

They're both very good for the current prices. Wait for yours to arrive, and you'll see. Let us know your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back