[REVIEW] Westone Adventure Series ADV Alpha - A Thing That Goes Thump in the Night
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 102
Quote:
Awesome review! Loved the video.

Thanks!

I've decided to keep the ADV at least till I can make some detailed comparisons against the SE215.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #18 of 102
Quote:
Will you be outside with the SE215 the same way the adventure is meant to be used?

Yes and no. Isolation seems to be just as good between the two models. However in terms of gym / active use it's quite clear that the ADV is better because the housing is smaller and a bit more comfortable and the cable is far more light weight. The stock SE215 is somewhat stiff and very heavy.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #19 of 102
The big difference is the water resistance correct?

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #20 of 102
The ADV is a tank in regards to build quality yet smaller and more comfortable than the SE215. The cable system at the connector is water proof,and extremely tight I doubt it will ever have connector issues.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 102
Quote:
The ADV is a tank in regards to build quality yet smaller and more comfortable than the SE215. The cable system at the connector is water proof,and extremely tight I doubt it will ever have connector issues.

If I could get the SE215 sound in the ADV build I think I would have found (another) Holy Grail earphone hah.

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #22 of 102
Interesting review, thanks for the good read!
smile_phones.gif

(Can't see myself being tempted by these anytime soon though)

Oh, and none of the others here has read your review properly, since they didn't catch your typo...
wink.gif

Quote:
Every single BA I have heard (SE215, CKN70, FXD80, CC51P) has delivered some startling (and seemingly uniformly bassy) signatures.

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #23 of 102
Decided to give these a whirl, I'm in total agreement with prior reviews - awesome build, kinda weird sound signature heavily bass skewed.  Seems like upper mids are way off to me, can be EQ's to some semblance of normality but I'm not sold on them at this point.  I prefer the sound of my older UE Sf5 or Grado SR-325i by a landslide.  Really wish the body was used in a more neutral IEM as I loved the rugged nature.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #24 of 102
Thanks for the review.  I visited earphonesolutions and almost order a pair based on your review.  I like your emphasis on it's being a bass head unit in comparison with my experience with the Hippo VB that died a week ago.  I loved the Hippo VB, I only wished it has a remote so this ADV pairs are very attracting.  I don't care much about water resistance or the reflective cable as I am not intending to use it for excising.  As I read the comments, I noticed that people are saying for $200 price tag there are better options if you don't need it to be rugged.  I am curious to find out which are those options?  I like bass, a remote, and comfort.  I am currently using the Superfi.5 Pro in the meantime since the Hippo died.  Thanks for the review and recommendation.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #26 of 102
Thanks for the comments!

I noticed that Tyll over at Innerfidelity has posted the ADV measurements.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/WestoneADVAlpha.pdf

They pretty much confirm what everyone has been hearing, though I don't know if they sound QUITE as rolled off as the graph suggests. Insertion depth seems to make a great difference to high frequencies, as evidenced by Rin's findings with various earphones over at http://rinchoi.blogspot.com

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #29 of 102
Quote:
2005 called, they want their emo haircut back

They can have it OVER MY DEAD BODY. It won't be long because I'm already dead inside.

Long live the Black Parade!!!!!

Quote:
Test subjects are needed for a study of nocturnal enuresis, your name came up.

I thank you good sir for defending my honour with your witty bodily fluid related retort. If that is indeed what you are doing and not literally recruiting for that test.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 102
Thanks for the comments!

I noticed that Tyll over at Innerfidelity has posted the ADV measurements.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/WestoneADVAlpha.pdf

They pretty much confirm what everyone has been hearing, though I don't know if they sound QUITE as rolled off as the graph suggests. Insertion depth seems to make a great difference to high frequencies, as evidenced by Rin's findings with various earphones over at http://rinchoi.blogspot.com

Usually when the treble level are that low insertion depth won't be a big difference. These are also likely of low acoustic impedance. The reduction of the bass due to small leaking of shallow insertion is what balances perhaps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back