[REVIEW] Westone Adventure Series ADV Alpha - A Thing That Goes Thump in the Night
Feb 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #61 of 102
Yeah. not really worth it as Westone loves to talk about tweaks and yet no to little change other than fit. So, why pay more?

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #62 of 102
I almost grabbed the Alpha when it went on sale for $149 but refrained because I knew only a matter of time when they'll release a version that let me wear it the typical straight down cable routing.  I dislike the over the ear style.  I hope they release it soon.  A bit tired of the Hippo VB.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #63 of 102
To all Westone ADV Alpha owners - I challenge you to try the Accudio IOS app by Golden Ears. 

When I got them last summer, I brushed off Lachlan's comment that EQing them would tweak them into a good competitor to the SE215's, because I was against EQing back then. Since then, I've been learning more about audio engineering, music mixing, etc. and I now think EQ can do wonders if you know how to use it. 

I stumbled across Accudio while searching for frequency response graph of my new K550's. It's a Korean company which does precise measurements of a wide range of headphones / earphones to help consumers maximise performance, with product specific tweaks. I read their company philosophy and the work they do on their website and I was impressed. I like the app so much I bought it after fiddling around with the free trial version for a few hours.

I did a simple search on Accudio on the HeadFi forums. Naturally, there are people for and against it, but I don't think they are given the attention they deserve. How well the app works really depends on the headphones / earphones you are tweaking. For example, I tried them on my K550, MS1i, and even apple earpods and none of them had results as good as the ADV's. For the ADV's, I particularly enjoy the LCD-2 simulation and the flat preset with boosted sub-bass and bass. Try it out guys! 

TL;DR: Accudio works really well with the ADV Alpha's and I urge all owners to try it. I agree wholeheartedly that if you don't mind EQing the ADV Alpha's, they are actually great earphones when you tone down the bass-heavy coloration intended for gym-goers or outdoor adventurers the ADV's are marketed for. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #64 of 102
  The cable is pretty long, about 1.2m

After having the ADV for over a month, I find that it sounded very good out of a Sansa Clip+ (which makes it an excellent iem for workout) and DX50 + Pico Slim. It is so good that I can't find any fault on it. Bass quantity is just right.

On other source, the bass is sometimes over the top. Despite so, the quality of its mids and treble are very good and they react well to EQ.

Comfort wise, this iem is a big win for me. It is small, light and fits extremely well. It will just disappear in your ears. Microphonic noise is close to zero. Isolation is perfect.

At US$199, this is perhaps one of the most pricey workout iem. However, the excellent built quality, SQ and fit really makes it fit for the purpose it was designed for.

For $79 (buydig) I imagine it is a great value for gym rats.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #65 of 102
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=6819228&sku=WST78400&ref=cj#tabs

Buydig has it for $79 with coupon code: SPIN

Just grabbed me a pair.

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #68 of 102
Too dark for my taste.  Returning it.  Fits well, isolate well, well-made and comfortable.  But I buy them for sound quality.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #70 of 102
I bought a set for $79 from buydig.com and have been listening for a few hours now.

First off, they are incredibly comfortable!  I own Etymotics, Westone UM2 and UM1's, Shure SE215's, and a few other sets of mid-high end IEM's.
The ADV Alpha are, by far, the most comfortable.  For me, that's a huge plus for long listening sessions (plane trips).

I love the flexible cable and built in 3-button control - it's a perfect match for my iPhone 5s.  I bought the Shure iPhone cable and kind of hated it - it was too stiff and the microphonics were horrible.

The low end on the ADV is pretty intense.  Pretty much the exact opposite sound of the Westone UM1, which is funny.  With the "treble booster" EQ engaged on my iPhone, I find the sound really well balanced.  It's a fun overall sound, not analytical like the Etys.

I won't be using these IEM's for critical listening or mixing music, but I think I may have just found my new set of "keep 'em in the backpack, listen-on-the-train-for-the-commute IEM's".

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #73 of 102
Confirmed, they'll accept opened return.
I'll probably be doing the same, thought I was a bass head, but looks like I'm not :/. If anyone wants them at cost pm me and I can send them to you as opposed to buydig. I'll keep em for at least a few more days to make sure that I really don't want them.

Impressions:
Similar to what was stated in the OP

Positives:
Most comfortable iems ive ever worn
Tight bass
Build quality
Soundstage, better than pl30
Reflective cable
Easy to drive
Fun sound signature

Negatives:
Recessed vocals(still sound clear I.e. not muffled)
Bass/mid can take over the track, and sound almost sharp to the ears(Never expierenced this before)

overall:
Solid pair of iems but after reading around the forums, I'm still inclined to sell them to purchase ostry kc06, and vsonic vsd1s. Then again these are perfect workout headphones :S

Edit:
Gave equalizers a shot, treble booster setting on iPod makes these sound perfect, IMO. Everything sounds balanced with a slight emphasize on the bass (lots to start of with). The bass is also like something I have never heard before, hits extremely quickly and I finally know what bloated and must means :p that would be how I would define the bass on my meelectronic s6.(they still sound good for what they are).

Overall it looks like the biggest issue with these iems was how they were tuned, the driver is extremely capable and I cannot see the vsd1s or kc06 outperforming them (with the equalizer that is).

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #74 of 102
I'll probably be doing the same, thought I was a bass head, but looks like I'm not :/. If anyone wants them at cost pm me and I can send them to you as opposed to buydig. I'll keep em for at least a few more days to make sure that I really don't want them.

Impressions:
Similar to what was stated in the OP

Positives:
Most comfortable iems ive ever worn
Tight bass
Build quality
Soundstage, better than pl30
Reflective cable
Easy to drive
Fun sound signature

Negatives:
Recessed vocals(still sound clear I.e. not muffled)
Bass/mid can take over the track, and sound almost sharp to the ears(Never expierenced this before)

overall:
Solid pair of iems but after reading around the forums, I'm still inclined to sell them to purchase ostry kc06, and vsonic vsd1s. Then again these are perfect workout headphones :S

Edit:
Gave equalizers a shot, treble booster setting on iPod makes these sound perfect, IMO. Everything sounds balanced with a slight emphasize on the bass (lots to start of with). The bass is also like something I have never heard before, hits extremely quickly and I finally know what bloated and must means :p that would be how I would define the bass on my meelectronic s6.(they still sound good for what they are).

Overall it looks like the biggest issue with these iems was how they were tuned, the driver is extremely capable and I cannot see the vsd1s or kc06 outperforming them (with the equalizer that is).

Regarding your edit - that's exactly what I thought! If you use more versatile equalisers instead of the simple treble booster, such as an independent equaliser app or computer program, I assure you that they sound really, really good for the money. The drivers are super versatile. If only Westone tweaked them not for the 'outdoor, adventure' market and for the audiophile market, i.e. with a more neutral sound signature, or even a V shaped one with increased treble, they would be much more popular than they are now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back