[Review] Westone 4 Quad Driver earphones - Bird of Prey
Feb 22, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #46 of 71

Quote:
i am also inteested in the comparison to the shures in terms of bass and even in terms of soundstage.

Quote:
I think that music_4321 compared the W4 and SE535 and felt the Shure could not compete.  See the thread started by FlavioT.

Yeah, check out the other thread!

The soundstage on W4 is really impressive. Consistently surprising w/ each new song. The SE535's soundstage is not really one of its strengths.

The SE535 bass has more impact and less extension; I think more typical speaker sound bass. The W4 has more bass but less impact. Lots of people rave about the quality of the bass. I find there is a lot of quantity too! On some songs, the W4 is bass heavy for my tastes but after listening to more songs, I think it reflects well how much bass the original song has.

I find the SE535's mids are lusher, though not necessarily better. I miss the mids of the SE535 on some songs. They really are stunning.

IMO, if you're an all genre, soundstage loving kind of guy, go for the W4. It's really done well. If you're almost exclusively acoustic/pop vocals, I'd go with the SE535.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #49 of 71
My Target is to find an iem with the Sound signature of the ie8 (spacious, powerfull Bass Without too much highs) but with Detail and precision of the ba Type iem.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #51 of 71
Already tested sm3. They do Not expand to the Sides, and sounded somewhat muddy to me.

Between sm3, tf10 and se530 i Liked shures Best, but they Lack Bass. Owned all of them.
So right now i am listening to my ie8, but Miss much of the precision of the ba drivers.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #52 of 71
Wow, that's the first time I hear that the SM3 do not have a wide soundstage. I think you are referring to forward projection, in which case I agree. But as to the muddiness, I cannot see how you could find the IE8 less muddy, or did I get something wrong? I suppose you did not try the filter mod, right?

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #53 of 71

Quote:
Already tested sm3. They do Not expand to the Sides, and sounded somewhat muddy to me.

Between sm3, tf10 and se530 i Liked shures Best, but they Lack Bass. Owned all of them.
So right now i am listening to my ie8, but Miss much of the precision of the ba drivers.

Sounds like W4 then.  They can go as wide as I can tolerate to the max.  The bass is there also though not sure how it compares to your hearing of the IE8 versus the SM3 bass response.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #54 of 71
well sm3 to me just extended to the back of my head. and no i didnt do any mods.
they sounded muddy especially in the lower mids.

bass of ie8 to me is somehow like bass of the super.fi 5 eb but slightly less and better controlled.
if i would lose a little wont be a big deal, but it shouldnt lack especially deep bass like the se530 do.
sm3 bass was ok, but nothin to rave about. liked the bass of the tf10, but could have been slightly more to my taste.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #57 of 71

Quote:
Sony EX1000

Warm, powerful low-end presence w/ softer rolled highs?  Wow.  There must be multiple variations of the EX1000.  That's a 180 degree from that Sony demo in Vegas.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #58 of 71
Nope. Just one. Although I didn't state what you posted below, but the reason I recommended it was to me, it sounds like a superb dynamic iem with BA qualities at the same time. It doesn't have rolled highs but not sibilant or peicing at the same time. Soft, detailed and well extended. Almost like a mash up of the IE8 and DBA-02.

edit: I've also owned them for about a month and have put a bunch of hours on them if that means anything to you.

Quote:
Warm, powerful low-end presence w/ softer rolled highs?  Wow.  There must be multiple variations of the EX1000.  That's a 180 degree from that Sony demo in Vegas.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #59 of 71

Quote:

edit: I've also owned them for about a month and have put a bunch of hours on them if that means anything to you.

You know, that probably explains it.  Considering its a rather large dynamic driver that certainly sounds like a possible source for the discrepancy.  It is using that polymer in its driver, burn-in may have a role to play there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back