[Review] Westone 4 Quad Driver earphones - Bird of Prey
Jan 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #31 of 71

Quote:
Quote:

I think it is a great earphone, though I think that unlike the Westone 3, it is less of a benchmark product and more of a pleasure product.

Hi Shigzeo, I enjoyed reading the review. Your last statement, though, left me itching for a bit more of an elaboration. That you've described the IEM with a more tamed bass and treble presentation to be a pleasure product is interesting. Though I may not always agree to this notion, I've almost always assumed that most folks associate a salient bass and treble to be the main traits of a "fun" sound. Are you hinting that the W3 may be a more "technically" capable IEM?
It was a fleeting good news that the W4 might have a more natural presentation and docile character than that of the W3, but I am not entirely finding solace with them being that much likened to the UM3X.

See Shigzeo, i was not (just) being a jerk. If your inference was that it is a not a major step forward but just an incremental improvement, this benchmark/pleasure wording does not obviously say that. It was a good review... the TMA one simply had a clearer conclusion.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #33 of 71
I think that if you are looking for punch, the westone 3 will be it for you. But if you are looking better midrange space and detail, the westone 4 will be it. I prefer the 4 in every way.

As I mentioned, however, I don't think that at this level you are really buying technically better or worse earphones, you are just buying better suited signatures. The westone 4 is, in my opinion, a more suited earphone to a wide range of genres.

If I had to choose one, I'd choose the 4.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #34 of 71
Hello Shigzeo,

Are the W4 easy to drive or do they need an amp to show their full potential? Do you think that a "simple" cowon J3 unamped will drive them without any problems?

I am one of those who think that the concept of portability is important and don't like the idea to carry an amp with me...

And other questions: In others forum, people talk about the soundstage of the W4 that is smaller than the W3, what do you think about that? Is it true?

Thank you very much.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #35 of 71
The bass of the W4...how does it compare with the W3 and UM3X? Would you say the W4 sits in between the other two in this area?
Tried the W3 and UM3X and much preferred the latter. Was about to purchase a pair till i read about the W4.
Thanks. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #36 of 71
Hello, the Bass really depends on what you mean by bass. If you mean impact, you are probably talking about upper bass or low low mids. The W4 has plenty of that, but probably a bit less than the W3. The UM3x seems to extend better than the W3 down low, but misses the impact that the W3 has higher up. The W4 does go as low as the UM3x, but does so at slightly lower decibel level per frequency. Again, I feel that the W4 is a good in ear representation of the DT880, one of my favourite headphones, and for that I am very happy. If I wanted the HD650, I'd go with Atrio M5 and the W3, as cool as it is, tends to be too much Ultrasone for the in ear. 

All in all, each are lovely earphones, but the W4 is a personal cake-taker because of its excellent and really well extended midrange that isn't hot, but really emulates the airy and moving DT880.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #37 of 71
Shigzeo if you could spare maybe 20 minutes of your time it would be great, I'd like you to test this one song that I use to well pretty much is the benchmark. Parkway Drive-Boneyards

This song I believe test's the capabilities of well any headphones fairly well, my problem is that while the TF10's are great the mids are a little recessed, the bass can be a little "boomy" though only for some bass heavy songs.

For this particular song I find that the TF10s deliver perfectly in the bass area + highs though the mids and instrument seperation are just not on, I'd like to know which of the 3 as in Westone 3, Um3x and W4 is the best for my needs.

I'd like something that has enough impact as in the kick drums in that song, but at the same time be able to deliver more forward mids with great instrument seperation. Or the SM3? :S

I'm really close on pulling the trigger on the UM3x just due to the fact that it has removable cables and that W3 have sibliance issues, and well the W4 due to it not being released yet...

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #39 of 71
I find it interesting that in this and the other main W4 thread TF10 is frequently used as a benchmark - a $300 cheaper earphone. I caught myself with the same thing, constantly debating my $80 HJE900 against my $300 W3 with no clear winner in sight. Probably same paradox, but on a lesser scale, is happening with people comparing RE0 and DBA to CK10.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #40 of 71
Sorry, friend, I've spent my allotted dosh on some shiny American hip-hop. I could curse Jude for my recent spening habbits, but that would be biting the hand that feeds me.

Unless you need to bleed your eardrms, you don't need an amp with these unless your player sucks. Anything modern should do the trick right well.

Quote:
Shigzeo if you could spare maybe 20 minutes of your time it would be great, I'd like you to test this one song that I use to well pretty much is the benchmark. Parkway Drive-Boneyards

This song I believe test's the capabilities of well any headphones fairly well, my problem is that while the TF10's are great the mids are a little recessed, the bass can be a little "boomy" though only for some bass heavy songs.

For this particular song I find that the TF10s deliver perfectly in the bass area + highs though the mids and instrument seperation are just not on, I'd like to know which of the 3 as in Westone 3, Um3x and W4 is the best for my needs.

I'd like something that has enough impact as in the kick drums in that song, but at the same time be able to deliver more forward mids with great instrument seperation. Or the SM3? :S

I'm really close on pulling the trigger on the UM3x just due to the fact that it has removable cables and that W3 have sibliance issues, and well the W4 due to it not being released yet...

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #41 of 71
Quote:
I find it interesting that in this and the other main W4 thread TF10 is frequently used as a benchmark - a $300 cheaper earphone. I caught myself with the same thing, constantly debating my $80 HJE900 against my $300 W3 with no clear winner in sight. Probably same paradox, but on a lesser scale, is happening with people comparing RE0 and DBA to CK10.

TF10 is legacy technology that is often discounted but it remains one of the greats. Many of us paid $300 for them. In many parts of the world, people still do. And they still perform well for that price. (I'm not a big fan of the standard cable - it's too stiff. It can be replaced.) 

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #42 of 71

Quote:

The TF10 is a great IEM - don't be misled by the recent Amazon.com deal and all those new fancy IEMs & customs. FYI: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Triple-10-Earphones/dp/B000JFJDAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298340191&sr=8-1 -- that's £211.00 -> $341.00 USD

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #43 of 71

Quote:

As music_4321 said, don't be fooled by the Amazon sale. The TF10's RRP is still $399, and it is UE's flagship, triple-driver universal IEM. Since Westone is the only company with a 4-driver universal at the moment, it's fair to compare it to 3-driver universals from rivals--which would naturally include the TF10, SM3, SE535 and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back