Review- VPI Nomad Turntable
Jul 30, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #48 of 63
If available then yeah, why not.

ok cool,Well I've contacted my local dealer,and he siad he doesnt have the Nomad instock in which case if he ordered it for me it would take around 4 months 
blink.gif
 . Not counting the national holidays in America

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #49 of 63
OK, so...

The old Nomad can be found probably for around $800 or less. Keep trolling ebay or audiogon or whatever. Be aware that the headphone amp is not replaceable, and the phono preamp is not defeatable. It's all or nothing with that one.

The new Nomad is supposed to have an upgradeable headphone amp (last I heard) and DEFINITELY a defeatable phono preamp. I think they may have made other improvements as well.

I'm not sure if the amp would be a proper match with the Audeze, as I've never heard them. I think I got the volume knob up to about 12 o'clock with my Denon AH-D2000 for comfortable listening, though the room where I demoed it was a bit noisy.

The Traveler is a significantly better table. No question. But it's also a much larger investment, as you would also need a cartridge, phono cables, and either a phono preamp, a headphone amp, AND cables from the phono pre to the headphone amp, or something like the GT40a which does both AND works as USB ADC/DAC. This limits true portability, but the sound will be more likely to do more justice to headphones that cost more than the table! :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #50 of 63
  OK, so...

The old Nomad can be found probably for around $800 or less. Keep trolling ebay or audiogon or whatever. Be aware that the headphone amp is not replaceable, and the phono preamp is not defeatable. It's all or nothing with that one.

The new Nomad is supposed to have an upgradeable headphone amp (last I heard) and DEFINITELY a defeatable phono preamp. I think they may have made other improvements as well.

I'm not sure if the amp would be a proper match with the Audeze, as I've never heard them. I think I got the volume knob up to about 12 o'clock with my Denon AH-D2000 for comfortable listening, though the room where I demoed it was a bit noisy.

The Traveler is a significantly better table. No question. But it's also a much larger investment, as you would also need a cartridge, phono cables, and either a phono preamp, a headphone amp, AND cables from the phono pre to the headphone amp, or something like the GT40a which does both AND works as USB ADC/DAC. This limits true portability, but the sound will be more likely to do more justice to headphones that cost more than the table! :)

well I choose the Nomad to see if I like listening to Vinyl or not,because if I like it I will try to upgrade to a higher turntable.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #51 of 63
well I choose the Nomad to see if I like listening to Vinyl or not,because if I like it I will try to upgrade to a higher turntable.

The Nomad got me into turntables and now I own a Pro-Ject Debut. I'm sure after you hear the Nomad you will start getting into vinyl as well. Beware though because it can get addicting!

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #55 of 63
Is the Debut better than the Nomad? I mean is about half the Nomad's price, but get the impression that for you it was an upgrade

I never listened to them side by side but I would say that the Nomad and Debut Carbon sound very similar. If it were between the two I would choose the Carbon because it is upgradable. With the Nomad you are stuck with the integrated phono stage and integrated amp, not much room for component switching which most audiophiles including myself enjoy.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #57 of 63
Of course a separate amp can be added. The RCA outputs are line-level outputs, which could easily be fed to any external headphone amp. The original Nomad's preamp cannot be bypassed, though. The newer Nomad is supposed to have defeatable phono and upgradeable headphone amp, though I don't know if it ever got released.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #58 of 63
ohhhh. i thought a separate head amp could be connected!
Guess i'll wait for Nomad 2 then.

Then why do the RCA connector exist at all?

Sorry I meant phono stage couldn't be bypassed but the line levels do let you connect other components. But I think you're paying for mostly the headphone amp and phonostage built into the unit. If you have the components already it is unnecessary to spend the extra, plus the headphone amp on the Nomad isn't the greatest as I explained in my review.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #59 of 63
  Of course a separate amp can be added. The RCA outputs are line-level outputs, which could easily be fed to any external headphone amp. The original Nomad's preamp cannot be bypassed, though. The newer Nomad is supposed to have defeatable phono and upgradeable headphone amp, though I don't know if it ever got released.

Thats what I've heard as well, glad VPI and young Mat are developing the Nomad, will get others (especially Head-Fi-ers) into vinyl at a better price point and better quality. 
Thanks for the review and honesty about the HP amps limitations on v1. I also appreciate the debate, but too bad it went south. 

Having a VPI Scoutmaster II with a 2M Black, and having listened to both the 2M Red and 2M Blue, I would suggest to anyone with the 2m Red to immediately upgrade to the Blue for $150 bucks more. There is nothing "wrong" with the 2M Red, but the Blue is 100% better. No kidding ... the SQ doubled for me when I went from Red to Blue in all areas: quieter background, better timbres/tones, richer and more accurate, more dynamism and emotional involvement.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #60 of 63
FWIW, I got to try the VPI Player (the replacement for the Nomad) a couple of days ago. It is a significant step up in overall quality. I even got to do some recordings this time, and really my only "gripe" was just that I don't like the 2m Red as much as my own moving coil cartridge that lists for 5-6 times as much. It's worth noting, though, that I enjoyed the recordings I made from the Player more than I did with that more expensive MC on a Technics 1200, even with a much better tonearm, better mat, etc.

Now, the Player certainly isn't cheap (currently listing for $1200, though I think the price may be going up soon), but you're basically getting a Scout Jr. crossed with a Traveler with built-in phono and headphone amp. The headphone amp doesn't have a lot of volume play with Fostex/Denon style headphones (I tried both my modded AH-D2000 and the host's TH-X00 Purpleheart), but the sound is very pleasing. Truth be told, I really, really want one. I'd like to try a different cartridge with one, as I'm just not that wild for Ortofons, but it'd be fascinating to be able to replace my existing, fiddly setup with one component that could be easily be moved from room to room. If you manage to find some place with a demo unit, definitely give it a try. But do so soon, while the price is still easier to stomach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back